2.5tdi tappets

frankc

Reaction score
Morning all

need a little help with a problem with my 2.5tdi. I've been chasing an oil leak for a while, finally traced it to the cam cover for the offside bank. While I had it off to check for damage and to re-seal it I discovered one of my rockers had been thrown off the hydraulic tappet and was loose in the head, managed to fish the rocker out but didn't have time to do much else apart from sort my original leak.

e5af9d949e6f9da61ef499e3f87bf7d5.jpg
f55d85e4214717ddc429be31ee5d394c.jpg

Now, I've got two questions - firstly, to replace the rocker is it possible to slip it in under the cam with the tappet depressed, or does the cam have to be removed?

Secondly, my engine code is BDH - I was under the impression the B series engines had roller rockers, but this is clearly not, so is my engine fitted with earlier heads or was there a change-over period where earlier heads were fitted to the B series engines?

Thanks all, Frank

This is an A type rocker arm. They usually fall off when the cams wear too much for the hydraulic lifter to be able to take up the slack. There is a thrust pad that sits on top of the valve which is likely lost as well. If the cam is good then you could be lucky and find that the hydraulic lifter has failed. The rocker certainly doesn't look worn that much. Its probable that your engine has been changed or maybe the heads changed at some point. You should be able to depress the valve and put the rocker back on but chances are if the cam is worn it may fall off again and sometimes they can jam the valve open with catastrophic consequences for the engine. Be careful.

Thanks abyrne, I suspected that may be the case but the car's had a few previous owners so I don't know much history apart from what was supplied. The cams are pretty healthy from a visual inspection. The lifter for that rocker was broken but I didn't have time to get shots of it.

Plan for just now is new lifter, rocker and thrust pad and see how it goes. The rest of the engine appears to have later ancillaries so I'm thinking someone may have changed the heads.

Thanks for your help,

Frank.