2.7 Biturbo cambelt tension query

CQ20V

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm hoping to secure an A6 Biturbo with the same engine as the S4. I'm intending to do the cambelt rollers tensioners, water pump, thermostat and relevant cam/ crankshaft oil seals etc and have been researching the procedure - i've done a few cambelts on the 1.9 engine so am familiar with dismantling the front of the car. I have access to the locking bar and crank pin and feel confident in stripping and replacing all the parts however its the tensioning that is causing me slight confusion. I understand the need to pop the cam pulleys off so that they rotate independently of the cams when tensioning but do you apply 15 NM's to the tensioner pulley and then pull the pin on the spring loaded tensioner or do you pull the pin and then apply the 15 NM's to the pulley. I cant find this info on the net anywhere.
Thanks in advance
Regards

Don’t have an answer for you I’m afraid, just make sure you get a definite answer before you pull that pin haha! Had all the above done on mine last year. Got all the old parts back in a box and had a look at the tensioner out of interest. No amount of pressure would reset it! I bought genuine for everything and from memory it was one of the most expensive parts as well.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes - i know - you cant put that pin back in. LOL. Just out of interest did you get Audi to do it or did you just buy the parts from Audi ?

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Yes - i know - you cant put that pin back in. LOL. Just out of interest did you get Audi to do it or did you just buy the parts from Audi ?
Just bought the parts from them, wouldn’t leave my car at a main dealership under any circumstances. I had the work done by a mechanic who’s spent a lot of time working on B5’s. Third of the price and three times the knowledge!

Hi thanks for the reply - yes completely agree - wouldn't trust the dealers. I've been reading up some more and it appears that you apply the 15nm to the tensioning roller and then pull the pin - as the spring loaded tensioner is more of a damper to keep the load on the belt constant. So i now feel fairly confident i can tackle the job myself - taking my time and being methodical. I just hope the no ones been there before and botched anything. Cheers

Reactions: S4 Muzza