2 quick questions

RyanJonS4

Drive It Like You Stole It
Reaction score
Where is the port to plug a fault code reader in on a b6 S4?

Do coil packs just pull straight out or do i need a special tool?

my car sounds like its running on 7 and was passing a gsf today so bought a coilpack, and I have an old fault code reader that I used to use on my 8l a3 which I presume will work on my s4?

Ryan

under the dash above your right knee
and yes pull out

and iv had trouble b4 with gsf coilpacks
i always go dealers or TPS for any sensors packs etc

Has your S4 had the coil pack recall? If not speak to Audi.

Bez is right about the location of your OBD port.

Not sure if it has had the recall tbh but ive owned it since 2007 and it hasnt in my ownership.
Is there any way of telling?

I've only bought this coil to get me by until I find out if it has/hasnt had the recall. If it has then I will have to buy 8 new off audi and fit them which will be a 30 mile round trip I didnt fancy on 7 cylinders. If it hasnt had the coils done it would still be 15 miles 1 way which I presume wouldnt do it any good?

Ryan

Iirc all 8 of my coil packs were replaced about 18 months ago, I think that is about the time they were doing the recall. As you have owned yours since '07 I would say you haven't had the recall done. Give Audi a call or drop in to your local dealership , service is normally open until 12 on a Saturday.

I think they have a look at the coil packs and check the serial or part numbers on each one to see if it needs replacing. They might be able to squeeze you in for a quick check and then at least you know where you stand.

Last edited:
Are you with a recovery or breakdown service. You might be able to get them to trailer recover you to Audi. Emphasise you dont think it is safe to drive it to Audi and they will recover you. It has to be a trailer though as you cannot tow a quattro.

If you havent got breakdown cover and you want to replace the coil pack if it is a coil pack that is at fault, you would need to scan for codes to tell which cylinder coil pack is causing you the problem. There are plenty of how to's on changing coil packs on the internet and forums.