2004 2.0TDI will not start

clown

Reaction score
Hi,

My car: 2004 A3 2.0TDI (BKD engine, 140 HP)

When I try to start it, turn the key, it's absolutely silent. All lights, radio, HVAC and pre-start warning lights on dash DIS function normally.

I checked power and grounds at the starter cables...all good.

Checked power at starter connector (small) solid 12VDC when key turned.

Tried to jump start, would not start = battery's good...also checked battery with meter...solid 12-13 VDC

Push started fine...engine ran fine...turned off, then would not start with key.

I have a cheap code reader (not VAGcom) I have no fault codes. This is strange, as normally when something is wrong I have fault codes.

I actually disconnected the small connector from the starter and tried to start the car and the fault code reader didn't even recognize it...WTF?? This is probably one of the most important/critical functions of any car and the ECU doesn't record/monitor this function???? Are you kidding me?

I changed the starter for this same problem about 4 months ago, it ran fine until about 3 days ago. I had an RAC/ADAC guy look at it and he said the ignition switch is probably burning up/frying the starter...is this possible or complete BS? I'm not an auto mechanic guru, but I've never heard of an ignition switch going bad. The part is cheap...about €20 here in Germany, so I'm going to change it for the hell of it.

I also noticed that relay K460 or KL75 was extremely hot/couldn't touch it, when I was disassembling half of the universe to get to the ignition switch in the steering column. Again that part is cheap...about €9, so I'm going to change it also.

Does anyone have any ideas??

After 8 billion hours Googling, I discovered K460/KL75 is a "Load Reduction" relay and functions only when starting the car, so this could also be a possibility.

I've had this car for about 4 years, and it's probably the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Parts are usually double that of VW parts,
customer service is the worst I've ever experienced << although normal and accepted in Germany. I have a Golf IV with over double the KM/Miles on it and it's far more reliable.

Thanks for listening.