2004 A4 Avant - What to look for???

mattey

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just joined the site after selling my E46 M3 yesterday..

Were due to have our first child this weekend and therefore need some advice on an A4 Avant..

Thinking of buying a 2004 model (S Line) and want to know what there like and any things to look at in particular??

Seen a few around the 40/50k mile mark - seem good value at around 14k..

Any major issues? Thinking of getting the 1.8T 190 BHP version - recommended?

How much is servcing / Warrnety renewel?

I know its a lot of questions but sure you guys know all there is to know about the A4's!

Thanks in advance...

Nice choice, I have a 2004 S-Line 1.8T 163bhp Avant on sport suspension, I used to own a 190 saloon, traded it for the avant, same reasons as you children, see if you can get a 190 with quattro, they are like hens teeth but there out there all the same, it will never match the M3 for pace but it will handle as good, dare I say it even better! Good luck with Father hood. Try and get leather, easyier to clean the baby sick off! Any issues that were on the B6 model would probubly been sorted out on any 04 as the new B7 was introduced late 04. No point in quoting figures for servicing as I live in Ireland and its euro's here! Should be cheaper than da M3 i'd imagine.

:arco:

Thanks mate..

Yeah - Hoping to be cheaper than the M3 servicing - averaged about £800 and every 15k new tyres were needed at £250 a corner..

Think we will go for the 190 Avant, just not a lot about with the full leather.. still have a few weeks to look and track one down..

mattey said:
Thanks mate..

Yeah - Hoping to be cheaper than the M3 servicing - averaged about £800 and every 15k new tyres were needed at £250 a corner..

Think we will go for the 190 Avant, just not a lot about with the full leather.. still have a few weeks to look and track one down..

Don't worry if you can't find one with leather. There are plenty of companies around that will re-trim for around £1-1.5k. Do a search on here to see some of the results.

Also, are you planning on getting it chipped? If so, try to find a Quattro. If not, why not open up your choices by looking out for a 3.0 Quattro.

mattey said:
Thanks mate..

good choice but try go for quattro if you can find one I gave up and got a saloon and love it especially after remap.
Im pretty sure the 2004 1.8tq 190 sline Comes with half leather mine did but mines a saloon.
p.s we had our baby last year and originally wanted the avant but the saloons boot is still big enough to put pushchairs and rear seats fits baby seats no problem on a saloon if that helps broaden your search for cars.

it will never match the M3 for pace but it will handle as good, dare I say it even better!

Do tell how this is possible.

In regards to mattey's post, is it essential that you need an Avant? If I were you I'd go for a B7 2.0T Quattro, far superior to the 1.8T engine which it replaced in every way. Very little lag, lots of torque and easily modified to around 260 bhp. These can be had for roughly £15,000 too.

Be aware that a "Full Service History" could be as little as two services. Pressing the spanner button will tell you when the next service is due - if it's been reset make sure that tallies with a recent service.

Also, bear in mind that the p.o. could have skimped on bi-yearly items such as aircon recharge/clean, brake fluid change, coolant change - as these are not manadatory service items. Always worthwhile getting an Audi centre to check exactly what's been done.

If the car's been sat for a while make sure the climate works as it should and if you get that "cat's pee" smell insist they regas/clean etc.

I'd recommend sticking with the avant. We've got a saloon and wish we'd gone for the avant simply because it's so much more pratical. Yes the saloon has a decent boot but the opening is narrow. Also, if buy a 2nd hand saloon you may find that it doesn't have folding rear seats as it was a factory option. They're standard on the avant.

UK B6 S-Lines are all the 190ps (187bhp) 1.8T With 6 speed manual (Quattro manual only) or 6 speed Multitronic CVT. They ran from March '04 to Sept '04.

All have either silver or black half leather only. Plenty of options make for plenty different spec' cars. ie - electric rear windows = £300 option!

All have the factory Quattro GmbH body kit and 18" 'Five Arm' alloys.

I say go for the Avant too, but I would wouldn't I? :)

PM if you'd like a copy of the 2004 price list in pdf.

BUB :beerchug:

bubstar said:
All have the factory Quattro GmbH body kit and 18" 'Five Arm' alloys.

I thought the B6 S-lines had 15 spoke 18" wheels. Seem to remember this from the brochure when we were looking to buy.

No the limited editions had the 9 spokes and IIRC they were 17". The 18's were an option on the GmbH sport models.

IMG_0240.sized.jpg

The B7's had the 15 spokes.

BUB :anorak:

Mattey

Your choice is excellent but as Bubstar states “ I would say that” and the 190 quattro avants do seem a little scarce.

I will be selling my own very shortly and you may be interested:

Dec 03 MY 04 Avant 1.8T Quattro Sport 190 (almost identical to S Line)
53,000 miles FASH
Atlas Grey
18” RS6 5arm alloys with excellent cond. Goodyear Eagle F1s
Bose & Audi Symphony 6 cd
Leather / Alcantara
Heated Front Seats
Headlamp washers
Kept meticulously clean and polished

Please contact me if you are interested – VERY competitively priced as dealer trade in values are, shall we say a little tight.

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

You better PM me Dude!

Mattey
At the end of the day I would find a car you like I.E mach sound etc and you can add the wheels you want, seats you want etc etc. Just what i have done the car is spot on now.

Hi Mattey!!

I will be selling my Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 190 bhp in the next month if your interested????

Spec is

2004 May 04 plate Audi A4 Avant 1.8 Turbo S line
18 inch (Genuine) RS6 Alloys (mint)
39,000 genuine miles from new
Ayoka Silver Metallic Paint
Bose Sound System (inc 6 disc front loader)
Rear parking system
Full VAG service history (last one done in May 07) 3 services in all.
Half silver leather interior
Full interior light pack
Dual climate control (air con re gassed today!!)
Front and rear Mudflaps
Totally genuine unspoilt car and well looked after car

Growing family forces sad sale!!

Interested then send PM:icon_thumright: