2004 Allroad 2.5 manual transmission oil temp

overdraft

Reaction score
Help needed I was driving home last night at around 75 80 miles an hour on a section of motorway and looked down at the dials, the water temp always when warms sits right on 90 degrees, and the transmission gauge always the thickness of the needle below 100.

last night I noticed the transmission gauge had created up past 100 by roughly the thickness of the needle, watched it for around 5 miles till I slowed for a round about and then it dropped back down, should it rise to over 100 degrees ?

But... but you don't have a transmission temp gauge!

The small left gauge shows you the engine oil temperature. Thru city and up to 60-70mph it should stay around 80-90degrees and above that speed, the temperature will rise.

Don't worry though. On older cars without oil cooler, it can reach even 130degrees.

A friend of mine has an Allroad with 2.5tdi AKE and auto trans. His temperature on the motorway is around 120 degrees. Is that normal? My non allroad 2.5tdi and manual trans doesn't rise above 90.

A friend of mine has an Allroad with 2.5tdi AKE and auto trans. His temperature on the motorway is around 120 degrees. Is that normal? My non allroad 2.5tdi and manual trans doesn't rise above 90.

Is your thermostat working ok ? The allroad has a 3 plunger pump from factory, largest nozzles fitted to v6 engines and the oil cooler is rather tiny (standard 180Bhp spec)- i am trying to upgrade the cooler on mine but there is no room for a sandwich plate as the oil cooler will hit onto the AC compressor. However, early FWD AFB 150 Bhp engines had a slimmer oil cooler so i could use that and a thermostatic plate and a big *** Mocal front mounted oil cooler !
On a hard motorway pull i can see temps rising to over 120 C, whilst not a major issue, i would love to keep it in check...

Can you not just upgrade the existing cooler, or perhaps rig up a water spray onto the existing cooler like a WRC car would have...