2006 A6 3.2FSI - Throttle body adaption?

Sommerfeldt

Reaction score
So, I've been having throttle body troubles. It's been clicking and hammering, and making the car difficult to drive. I thought I might have messed it up, unplugging it to get to some bolts changing the camshaft control valves, so I tried running the adaption, or basic settings procedure in VCDS. That resulted in an error, and an actual fault code being set. TB is shot.

I ordered a new one. From Hungary... In the mean time, I popped off the TB, and took it apart to see what's going on in there. I was expecting stripped gears, but found nothing wrong. Cleaned the whole thing, put on a tiny amount of grease in the bottom of the motor, then put it back together and popped it back in the car, just to see what would happen. Started the car, and it runs great. No hesitation, no weirdness, no fluctuating RPMs.

The thing is, I haven't run any adaption procedure. Everywhere I look, it says that the car will almost be unusable without it. So... any idea why this works so well without any adaption/basic settings VCDS procedure? When the new one arrives, I'm putting that in and keeping the current one as a backup, but does the new one need the procedure?

- S

Christ. I guess this place is pretty dead unless it's about putting LED lights in cup holders...