2008 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

Jovy108

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering a minty, low mileage (20k km) example. I have heard and read that there could be issues with the DSG gearbox, and sometimes, the 3.2 engine as well. Any feedback from owners would be very welcome!

Thanks

Over 40k dsg needs oil change and general services carried out only engine issues is with the chain snapping but this can happen in any chain driven car and is rare in the models after 2005

Uh no the chain isues are not snapping, its the stretching chain that's the serious & very expensive issue, my advice is make sure warranty covers this issue, if not, forget it.

Thanks but the car is no longer covered by a warranty, so no help from the dealer if the chain stretches. How early can chain stretch happen?

Trust me, £4k bill or more & you'll be regretting it, my advice is check if its had anything remotely done along these lines already then if not walk away, your choice but that's a huge bill to swallow should it happen, there was a software update for these, which I cant remember if it helped, but even this on someone's 3.2 didn't help him spending 10k to find & fix.

So in short this would be a bad decision? Are there warning signs of failure?

Well I wouldn't, if you do then at your own risk.

Ok, I will probably walk away from this deal. Pity though, it's a beautiful car.

Look on the r32 forum. Chains don't fail very often, some are on original chains at 150k+ and they cost between 1-1.5k to replace. Lots of people will be able to tell you horror stories about any car. From what I can gather so far on this forum every audi is an expensive bag of ****! My 3.2 has 75k+ on the original chains. Original dsg. Etc

Look on the r32 forum. Chains don't fail very often, some are on original chains at 150k+ and they cost between 1-1.5k to replace. Lots of people will be able to tell you horror stories about any car. From what I can gather so far on this forum every audi is an expensive bag of ****! My 3.2 has 75k+ on the original chains. Original dsg. Etc

ha ha ha ha

Listen to the people that have them there are things to look out for on all cars I'm sure if you can afford to run one and worse case the chain does go I'm sure you could afford the 2k but yeah get on the r32 forum probably about 2 people have had chain issues and that's not recently I'm on 50k and no issues with my chain, brilliant car and if yours has low miles even better

Ok, I will probably walk away from this deal. Pity though, it's a beautiful car.
Your joking right? Because one stranger on a forum has told you the chain might stretch?

On that basis you might as well not bother buying any car, because the timing chain might snap, and you might be left with a huge bill......

I myself have heard of timing chain problems on a friends car, but that was a 2003 R32, wouldnt stop me buying it if i wanted it!!!

Reactions: Kaibo and discostu49
I'm sure the mpg thing come up, there not that bad if driven sensibly. I see 30 mpg going to work and low 20s getting home, I haven seen 37 driving as economical as possible. I'm never in a rush to get to work! That's a 70mile round trip mostly motorway and a bit in London .

Reactions: discostu49
if you listen to what strangers on forums say

i say get it the 3.2's are great cars and the howl and rasp of the v6 is worth the drive alone i hardly ever have my radio on

but yes im a stranger and i say get it

Reactions: autolatry
You can buy a replacement 3.2 engine for around £1500 these days.

Hire a engine hoist, invite a few mates round to help and even if the worst happens you're back on the road for a LOT less than £4000

If I understand correctly, there is a check that can be performed by a dealer to determine timing chain condition and DSG Mechatronic health? I'd like to cover these 2 major items before deciding, as repairs are EXTREMELY expensive here in the Philippines.

You could get hit by a bus crossing the road, maybe you should avoid leaving the house.
DO IT!