2009 a3 sb coolant flush

Deze2014

A4 b8,s3 8v, q7 4l, SQ5 8r
Reaction score
just a quick question really for somebody who has actually done this to there a3

im going to flush my coolant system and put sum fresh coolant in tomorrow supposed to be really nice weather, been up to my local tps earlier today and got some coolant going to do it tomorrow afternoon but just wondering whats the easiest way to do this?
Can I leave the belly pan on under the front? is there some type of way I can drain it from the radiator? or do I unclip a hose wait for it all to leak out then reattach the hose fill up coolant tank up with a kettle full of boiling water put the heater on full heat but low blow wait for it to get hot then get back under and unclip the hose and repeat the whole process again until it comes out clear blahdy blahdy blah

thing I don't no guys is whats the best way for me to drain the old coolant out ?? thanks for your responses guys:audibash:

Remove under tray and air box.

you can unclip the rad hose on drivers side and this will drain the rad out. Then go up top of engine and on air box side there will be a coolant hose that goes into the block, remove that. It will also be beneficial to remove the expansion vessle. get hose pipe and put in air box side port and it will come back through the return to expansion tank (i think) then get hose pipe on the little coolant hose near fuel rail and pump it back through block. Cannot go wrong with jetting every hose in sight tbh as its all one big ring main.

By doing the above you dont need to use hot water to open the thermo stat as you will be jetting all coolant galleries in block and then rad separate.

Once jetted through with clean water from hose pipe just connect it all back together and put expansion tank back and begin filling back up. Leave engine running with cap off to allow all air to come back to top.

This is what i did when my oil cooler died, but i was running de greaser and parafin through to aggitate the oil as it stuck to everything it touched. Nock on affect of using de greaser/washing up tablets and parafin was i fo0ked my thermostat so had to replace that once all oil and cleaning stuff was flushed.

I had bumper off of mine as i did it over a few nights from work,

I hope that helps, if you get stuck drop me a message and i can talk you through it ont phone.

Wow wow wow 10/10 for your reply mate you went in ! And nice s3 by the way.. And yeah I take it your a mechanic or perfectionist I wish I could spend my day fiddling and doing it all individually but quite frankly I think it would just be easier for me to just undo the the rad pipe on the drivers side and just repeat repeat repeat til it comes out clear I didn't manage to do it today but will give it a go tomorrow never done it before so I'll let you no how I get on buddy

Wow wow wow 10/10 for your reply mate you went in ! And nice s3 by the way.. And yeah I take it your a mechanic or perfectionist I wish I could spend my day fiddling and doing it all individually but quite frankly I think it would just be easier for me to just undo the the rad pipe on the drivers side and just repeat repeat repeat til it comes out clear I didn't manage to do it today but will give it a go tomorrow never done it before so I'll let you no how I get on buddy

Mechanical Engineer, but try get as involved with car mechanics as I can. And yeah I tried making it as detailed as I could because when I requested some guidance on this topic when I did it nobody was able to help lol.

Yeah you should be able to do it via rad pipe, you will need to get engine up to temp for thermostat to open though as if you don't you will just keep flushing out the rad.

Yea wil do it this weekend and it's sounds like an easy job but there's always that something isn't there might drive to my moms to do it as she lives in a house and I live in apartment and be very awqward up down up down with water and coolant into the car park , but yeah thanks guys for the replies really appreciate it let you no when iv completed it lol