2009 S3 Headlight Range Control Defective

Slappi

Reaction score
Popped up on my display last night after driving for about 15 mins, then again today after driving for about half an hour.

I've read that the controller is located behind the glove box, does anyone know if this is correct? Or does anyone know where the sensors are located?

I've also read that someone fixed this intermittent problem by cleaning the contacts on a sensor or all sensors?

I actually just completed a full audio install last weekend in my S3 and i'm a little concerned I could have 'knocked' something if you know what I mean as I did have the glove box out!

Any advice would be excellent, thanks.

My 2011 SB had this a few weeks ago and it was fixed under warranty.......yes, the controller is behind the glove box, as they took this out in order to fix the problem....apparently the wires can become stretched as it is quite a tight fit, so they moved the controller nearer the dash clocks in order to shorten the cable run.

Hopefully that will be all you need to do, but if it has only happened since the audio install, then it sounds like something has been caught and maybe snagged ?

My 2011 SB had this a few weeks ago and it was fixed under warranty.......yes, the controller is behind the glove box, as they took this out in order to fix the problem....apparently the wires can become stretched as it is quite a tight fit, so they moved the controller nearer the dash clocks in order to shorten the cable run.

Hopefully that will be all you need to do, but if it has only happened since the audio install, then it sounds like something has been caught and maybe snagged ?

Yes it does seem a bit suspicious as I only did the install last weekend. I hope it is just a loose connection/wire.
I'll have a look tomorrow see if I can identify anything amiss, check connections etc.

If that doesn't solve anything I may have to look towards the sensors and go for a diagnostics.

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated!

No problem........keep us informed if you can't sort it, as there are electronic guru's on here who can sort pretty much anything.

the units are tempramental as hell still trying to sus out whats going on with mine, but that is cause mine isnt stock you probably have just knocked a cable of you take the cover under the steering wheel down the unit is right at where your left knee will be when youre driving

apparently the wires can become stretched as it is quite a tight fit, so they moved the controller nearer the dash clocks in order to shorten the cable run.

Is that what the dealer told you, I dont agree with there analysis, the loom has a little bit of slack in it that shouldnt become stretched, plus they're a .5 wire, doubt its as they state & how they can move it closer to the dash is beyond me, as it has a fixed position to bolt it in place, right side of your single/double din cage with 2 bolts, anywhere else would be a loose controller or a bodge fixing.

As for the OP's issue, ideally you should scan it 1st to see where the fault is pointing you to 1st, instead of ripping stuff out to check each point.