Help Please 2010 S4 Slow to start / fault codes

AndrewW

Reaction score
Hi,

Since I got my S4 it's always been a bit slow to start (i'd say it needs 1 or 2 more cranks than you'd expect) but then as soon as it's going it's perfect. Because it's always been perfect after starting it hasn't really bothered me but I recently a VCDS setup so thought I'd look a bit further into it.

I'm getting the following intermittent codes on the Engine ECU (full scan at bottom of post):

6226 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247)
P119A 00 [096] - Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
6237 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 00 [096] - Too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

There's also another code showing on the 05-Acc/Start Auth.

01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Please see here for full scan

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or could shed any light on it? It's more annoying than anything else.

Thanks all

Same on mine, only when sat for a while. I reckon it's just a worn hpfp that bleeds the pressure and then takes a while to build up the rail pressure when cranking. Cranking is slower than running rpm so thats why it takes a couple of seconds to build pressure. I just look at it as a slightly longer crank on cold starts is beneficial as its gets oil going round the engine a bit more before firing. But it's not right no, and a new high pressure pump would probably sort it.

Reactions: AndrewW
Cheers Tobe, that's reassuring. If it's not doing any harm I'll just keep an eye on it, it hasn't worsened since I got the car, October last year.

Sounds the same as mine, if it's left for a while (i.e. first thing in a morning or after all day at work) it takes an extra turn or so, if i restart within a few hours it fires straight up.

Same on mine, only when sat for a while. I reckon it's just a worn hpfp that bleeds the pressure and then takes a while to build up the rail pressure when cranking. Cranking is slower than running rpm so thats why it takes a couple of seconds to build pressure. I just look at it as a slightly longer crank on cold starts is beneficial as its gets oil going round the engine a bit more before firing. But it's not right no, and a new high pressure pump would probably sort it.

When I first got my 2011 S4 back in 2013 I thought the same, but have put it down to just being the way that these engines start, so ignore it, what I'm meaning is, it takes slightly longer than any other car I drive to fire up, and yes I like that maybe more oil has moved around before it fires! I bought my car at 12.5K miles and it is only at 26K miles now (!!), so in my case, I'd doubt that it can be put down to an aging HPP.

Edit:- my wife has a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and it has always started quickly from cold or hot and it has 29K miles on it - why I am mentioning that is that it also has DI so has a HPP driven off the engine.

Reactions: AndrewW
When I first got my 2011 S4 back in 2013 I thought the same, but have put it down to just being the way that these engines start, so ignore it, what I'm meaning is, it takes slightly longer than any other car I drive to fire up, and yes I like that maybe more oil has moved around before it fires! I bought my car at 12.5K miles and it is only at 26K miles now (!!), so in my case, I'd doubt that it can be put down to an aging HPP.

Edit:- my wife has a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and it has always started quickly from cold or hot and it has 29K miles on it - why I am mentioning that is that it also has DI so has a HPP driven off the engine.

26k miles, wow!

26k miles, wow!

I'd admit "shocking" is nearer the mark! We tend to use my wife's 2015 Polo for all local/short journeys for many reasons including the worry that some scumbag might want to take it from me when I'm not looking.

Maybe I'm the first person to buy a car and keep it until it is a classic?(gulp)

Reactions: RyanJonS4
Maybe I'm the first person to buy a car and keep it until it is a classic?(gulp)

Supercharged S4 is a future classic. Current one is turbo and next one will be a diesel. :)

Reactions: jdp1962 and rabhrab
These start pretty quick when the battery is in good order. I’ve had funny fuelling issues on a 2.0 TFSI when the battery was getting tired.

Try a maintenance charger overnight.

By the age this becomes or could become a classic you wont be allowed to drive them.

I'd admit "shocking" is nearer the mark! We tend to use my wife's 2015 Polo for all local/short journeys for many reasons including the worry that some scumbag might want to take it from me when I'm not looking.

I bought my B6 back in 2007 and have no plans to get rid of it, it needs some rust attention as they all seem too these days. Everyone has the 1 car they bought when they were young that they wish they’d never sold. I’ll still have mine once it becomes a classic

Can anyone confirm the part number for the HPFP for the 3.0 TFSI engine code CAKA?

I’ve looked online but so far this has revealed 5-6 part numbers which I’m not sure are interchangeable or not!

Most places seem to say 07L127026 followed by either N, S, T, Q, AD or J....( revision codes I gather)

Some say 06F127025 follower by various revision codes

Last edited:
Sorry for digging up an old thread.
I have exactly the same errors codes popped up on VCDS yesterday and slow to start symptom.
@ AndrewW - did you ever get to the bottom of this?
was it your HPFP?