2011 A3 2.0 TDI - 5K0 915 105 G battery - is this lead acid (not AGM)?

GSB1

Reaction score
Website
www.shootpetrol.co.uk
Hi all,

Much searching around later, I am not entirely clear on the following & would appreciate your input please.

Our 2011 A3 2.0 TDI 170 (with stop-start) has the original Moll 5K0 915 105 G battery. Now so far as I can tell, this is a conventional lead acid battery and not an AGM.

I think 2011 would have been one of the first, or at least definitely an early generation stop-start.

Firstly can anyone confirm this is a lead acid battery and not AGM?

Secondly, what have people replaced these with, in terms of have you gone for lead acid again or gone with an AGM?

Most of the battery lookup sites (I'll probably order from https://www.tayna.co.uk/) say the regulars lead acid batteries are not for start-stop cars, but as above I think that's what the A3 TDIs with early stat-stop were fitted with.

I have VCDS and can recode as necessary, but note coding only wants the Ah rating, manufacturer & serial number. There is nothing there that designates AGM or not.

To be fair it's lasted 9 years and we'll not likely still have it in another 9, so the same again wouldn't be a bad thing.

I have my CTEK connected doing a recondition at the moment, to see if that revives it. On that point, if the CTEK revives the battery, do you think it worth changing a digit in the serial number coding so the car thinks it is a new battery? I am not sure how advanced the BDM is on these.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20201017_105350.jpg
    20201017_105350.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 1,649
A recon on the CTEK hasn't revived it, so definitely need to replace I think.

I've attached am image of the measuring blocks post charge. This is moments after disconnecting the CTEK MXS 5 charger, that thinks the battery is in good health.

It's the low Ah reading which is why it wont start I guess?

So, lead acid or AGM for the replacement?

Attachments

• Battery measuring blocks after recon.png
    Battery measuring blocks after recon.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
i had the same battery on a 2011 1.4tfsi with start stop. it isnt agm, the agm oem batteries have it clearly written on the top.
also lasted about 9 years (replaced early in the year), replaced it with an exide agm. didnt code it in, all is fine.

imo i wouldnt use a non agm battery again, mainly because of the ability to run it down and still be able to crank. the price is about double though, so if you arent planning on keeping the car long, is it really worth it

Reactions: GSB1
I called a couple of Audi parts depts and they all stated the replacement part number for the A3 battery was 000 915 105 CC.

From a Google image search, I concluded this is an AGM battery.

That swayed the decision for me, AGM replacement it is.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk