[2011 A5 Coupe] - Key Fob Issues

FurtiveSway

Reaction score
Hi lads,

looking for a bit of expertise on this issue I've been having.

NG3fpGk.jpg

^ My A5. Yesterday I changed out the battery (CR2032) to fix an issue where she was getting less and less responsive with lock/unlocking.

Upon doing it, I sat into the car (it unlocked) and when pushing the key into the insert, there was no response from the ignition at all. Car wouldn't start either. I was in a pretty terrible position. Had to get my spare key brought to me which worked fine, started up the car.

I read that you can re-program these keys by manually unlocking, holding unlock for a few seconds then engaging the ignition. (Supposedly). I did this with my main key (which wasn't working) and it worked except a few things.

- The spare key now can't start the car at all.
- The passenger door doesn't unlock when opened.

Any idea what this is about or the best way to fix it? Definitely don't want to hand it over to the stealers for this sort of stuff if I don't have to.

So it's not a keyless start, entry system?

It will have 2 separate systems if not keyless, remote functions & immo, they don't work together per se.

So if remote isn't working, immo isn't affected, so it's strange changing the battery has affected the starting.

Disconnect the battery of the car for 5 minutes, also pull the batteries from each remote for 30 seconds & reinsert them.

Hi NHN,

thanks for the reply.

TQGHXGj.jpg

^ I have 2 of these type keys with a push ignition (push the key into the slot while keeping the clutch pressed).

Yes, it's very strange. Should I be prepared for any fallback on disconnecting the battery?

You may get some lights in dash but they should clear either on start or drive, should be fine.

Non keyless then, so yes it's strange as immo isn't connected to remote, separate chip.

Thanks for the help - I'll give the battery stuff a go.