2012 A6 S-Line - Gearbox overheating, adjust driving style

davejuk

Reaction score
2012 AUDI A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro

On 19th April 2017 my vehicle displayed the "Gearbox overheating, adjust driving style" error message and refused to shift up through the gears. After leaving it with Audi Bristol (Cribbs Causeway) over the week end, I understand that this is a known issue (TPI 2022497/20) and I have been advised that it needs a new mechatronics PCB and software update at a cost of £1,067.62.

Is this a common problem?

I understand that my vehicle came with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. My vehicle is 5 years old and has done 67,000 miles. It has always been serviced at an Audi dealer having anything it needed. Being asked to fork out over £1,000 for a part that you now know was problematic when it left the factory leaves an awfully bad taste, especially as my car has only done 2/3 of the miles covered by the warranty.

It is not even a moving part and certainly can't be classed as normal wear and tear. It is a major component of a major part of the vehicle and as such I expect to get more than 67,000 miles from it.

The guy at the dealership explained to me that it is a TPI one level below a recall. He misread the zero balance invoice for the initial examination and was under the impression that the faulty PCB had been replaced free of charge, even though it was out of warranty. The conversation became a bit awkward when I explained that this was not the case.

As we stand now, I feel that I am being asked to foot the bill for a manufacturing defect due to a technicality (the time limit on the warranty). Had it been driven hard in the first 3 years and clocked up a lot more miles then they would have gladly covered it.

I kicked up a fuss with them and they agreed to do it for £800 but they couldn't look at it until today (14th June). I grudgingly accepted as I just want this sorted now. They have just e-mailed to me say that it will need extra parts bringing the total cost to £1,300 - no other detail.

Are they trying to screw me? My experience of dealing with them (besides the problem with the car) has been absolutely terrible so it really wouldn't surprise me.

Does anyone have any experience with this fault? How best to proceed?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Dave

Reactions: The Black Panther
Audi no doubt the most expensive. Try these guys http://www.gearboxnottingham.co.uk/dsg-mechatronic-units

2012 AUDI A6 S-Line 3.0 TDI Quattro

On 19th April 2017 my vehicle displayed the "Gearbox overheating, adjust driving style" error message and refused to shift up through the gears. After leaving it with Audi Bristol (Cribbs Causeway) over the week end, I understand that this is a known issue (TPI 2022497/20) and I have been advised that it needs a new mechatronics PCB and software update at a cost of £1,067.62.

Is this a common problem?

I understand that my vehicle came with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. My vehicle is 5 years old and has done 67,000 miles. It has always been serviced at an Audi dealer having anything it needed. Being asked to fork out over £1,000 for a part that you now know was problematic when it left the factory leaves an awfully bad taste, especially as my car has only done 2/3 of the miles covered by the warranty.

It is not even a moving part and certainly can't be classed as normal wear and tear. It is a major component of a major part of the vehicle and as such I expect to get more than 67,000 miles from it.

The guy at the dealership explained to me that it is a TPI one level below a recall. He misread the zero balance invoice for the initial examination and was under the impression that the faulty PCB had been replaced free of charge, even though it was out of warranty. The conversation became a bit awkward when I explained that this was not the case.

As we stand now, I feel that I am being asked to foot the bill for a manufacturing defect due to a technicality (the time limit on the warranty). Had it been driven hard in the first 3 years and clocked up a lot more miles then they would have gladly covered it.

I kicked up a fuss with them and they agreed to do it for £800 but they couldn't look at it until today (14th June). I grudgingly accepted as I just want this sorted now. They have just e-mailed to me say that it will need extra parts bringing the total cost to £1,300 - no other detail.

Are they trying to screw me? My experience of dealing with them (besides the problem with the car) has been absolutely terrible so it really wouldn't surprise me.

Does anyone have any experience with this fault? How best to proceed?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Dave