2012 A7 3.0 S Line - 136k Mileage - common problems?

ManiSingh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a used Audi A7 3.0 TDI S Line Sportback S Tronic Quattro - it's 2012 with 136,000 on the clock. It says FSH with gearbox/oil change done at 84k for around £11k. Don't really want to spend more than this on a vehicle and i'm staying away from BMW's now. I know it's high mileage...

What are the issues to look out for?

Used to have a 520d M Sport (2008) for 6 years till the timing chain went, repaired it and flogged the car!
Fortunate to drive the new CLS 400d 68 plates, had it for around 7 months but changing jobs soon so need a vehicle.

Would be great if I can know what I'm looking out for?

I've read up on the troubled Multitronic gearboxes but all knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a used Audi A7 3.0 TDI S Line Sportback S Tronic Quattro - it's 2012 with 136,000 on the clock. It says FSH with gearbox/oil change done at 84k for around £11k. Don't really want to spend more than this on a vehicle and i'm staying away from BMW's now. I know it's high mileage...

What are the issues to look out for?

Used to have a 520d M Sport (2008) for 6 years till the timing chain went, repaired it and flogged the car!
Fortunate to drive the new CLS 400d 68 plates, had it for around 7 months but changing jobs soon so need a vehicle.

Would be great if I can know what I'm looking out for?

I've read up on the troubled Multitronic gearboxes but all knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks
Hi mate,

As an A7 owner welcome lool great choice...
Honestly if it was me with any car of that age and mileage good check on all majors.
With the A7 the gearbox issues really did scare me...so much that I get mine done with every general service...(done by an independent i might add ).
With only 1 gearbox service it wouldn't be top of my list as if i remember correctly audi say service it every 30 thousand (someone correct me if im wrong).
Mine has been kind and hasnt given me a single problem, touch black.
So would just say get one with FSH an at least 2 gearbox services and you should be ok.

BD55SOL

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hi mate,

As an A7 owner welcome lool great choice...
Honestly if it was me with any car of that age and mileage good check on all majors.
With the A7 the gearbox issues really did scare me...so much that I get mine done with every general service...(done by an independent i might add ).
With only 1 gearbox service it wouldn't be top of my list as if i remember correctly audi say service it every 30 thousand (someone correct me if im wrong).
Mine has been kind and hasnt given me a single problem, touch black.
So would just say get one with FSH an at least 2 gearbox services and you should be ok.

BD55SOL

Hey Pal,

thanks for the reply.

I guess the majors being;

Turbo // DPF // Dual Mass Flywheel // Clutch // Crankshaft Pulley ?

Yeah, the first thing I would do is a FSH but also a carbon clean as well as getting the gearbox service done.
Still looking around for a decent deal but A7 have caught my eyes for a while...i call them the knightrider car :)

Hey Pal,

thanks for the reply.

I guess the majors being;

Turbo // DPF // Dual Mass Flywheel // Clutch // Crankshaft Pulley ?

Yeah, the first thing I would do is a FSH but also a carbon clean as well as getting the gearbox service done.
Still looking around for a decent deal but A7 have caught my eyes for a while...i call them the knightrider car :)
Yep thats the one...
Personally I've always egr dpf delete as my experience from other diesels its just a set of problems waiting to happen.
Honestly the best car I've owned...kids and misses love it...ticks every box...
New A7 seems to be the only other upgrade...once the teething problem are worked out

I have recently got my one (A7) 3.0 CDUC with S-tronic garbox and Audi recommends to change the oil in box every 37K. My one was completed at 36,8K. I bought it 3 weeks ago with 76K on the clock and I will be looking to change oil again just to sleep well. All is driving absolutely fine and comparing to my tiptronic on A6 is much quicker and responsive. I paid just over 16K for S line A7 with less than 80K on the clock, HUD, ACC, Bose, memory seats etc.. so in terms of the price for A7 at that milage(yours) sounds about fair as long as is fully loaded or close to it.
If the gearbox doesn't do any specific to fault things (GOOGLE IT) then you are probably safe to get that one. There is a way of checking it quite easy and it usually kicks from 1st to second gear quite badly so you will definitely spot it. If it's driving fine and engine (bottom) is dry then I would consider byuing it and get the usual service pack done asap.

Good luck. Keep us posted what did you go for :)

Reactions: BD55SOL
I have recently got my one (A7) 3.0 CDUC with S-tronic garbox and Audi recommends to change the oil in box every 37K. My one was completed at 36,8K. I bought it 3 weeks ago with 76K on the clock and I will be looking to change oil again just to sleep well. All is driving absolutely fine and comparing to my tiptronic on A6 is much quicker and responsive. I paid just over 16K for S line A7 with less than 80K on the clock, HUD, ACC, Bose, memory seats etc.. so in terms of the price for A7 at that milage(yours) sounds about fair as long as is fully loaded or close to it.
If the gearbox doesn't do any specific to fault things (GOOGLE IT) then you are probably safe to get that one. There is a way of checking it quite easy and it usually kicks from 1st to second gear quite badly so you will definitely spot it. If it's driving fine and engine (bottom) is dry then I would consider byuing it and get the usual service pack done asap.

Good luck. Keep us posted what did you go for :)

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it.

I guess the reason why I'm being extra careful is because of the betrayal I feel from the E60 I had.
Let's agree that spending a lot of money on a car is not a financial gain, but a financial loss but leasing doesn't appeal to me although it makes sense.

I've seen 1 which is a bit more expensive but mileage is at 80k. States FSH but when I check the MOT history, it only shows 2019 (done around 2 days ago), I can't see any history from 2012 onwards....what do you think this means?

I've done a mycarcheck but again no recorded mileage or MOT history.

I'm going to view it tomorrow etc...what is best to look out for?

Thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/y3npzpjx

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it.

I guess the reason why I'm being extra careful is because of the betrayal I feel from the E60 I had.
Let's agree that spending a lot of money on a car is not a financial gain, but a financial loss but leasing doesn't appeal to me although it makes sense.

I've seen 1 which is a bit more expensive but mileage is at 80k. States FSH but when I check the MOT history, it only shows 2019 (done around 2 days ago), I can't see any history from 2012 onwards....what do you think this means?

I've done a mycarcheck but again no recorded mileage or MOT history.

I'm going to view it tomorrow etc...what is best to look out for?

Thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/y3npzpjx
Evening all,

Ive just has a look at the one in the link and honestly if it was me i wouldn't buy it.
The huge gap in any sort of records for me is a big warning sign.
Things such as mileage discrepancies and MOT issues can't be detected.
If you do have a look at it really have a good look into where those services were done if theres apparently FSH.
Might find these "garages" no longer exist if there independents.
Just thinking as im writing this if you've got a dealers nearby and you go in and speak ever so nicely they can pull up its Audi history.
If ya do go and see it rule with ya head, don't be drawn in by the pretty car
If it smells dodgy then give it a miss...
Good luck!!!!!

Reactions: mister.c.
Evening all,

Ive just has a look at the one in the link and honestly if it was me i wouldn't buy it.
The huge gap in any sort of records for me is a big warning sign.
Things such as mileage discrepancies and MOT issues can't be detected.
If you do have a look at it really have a good look into where those services were done if theres apparently FSH.
Might find these "garages" no longer exist if there independents.
Just thinking as im writing this if you've got a dealers nearby and you go in and speak ever so nicely they can pull up its Audi history.
If ya do go and see it rule with ya head, don't be drawn in by the pretty car
If it smells dodgy then give it a miss...
Good luck!!!!!

Hey thanks for the heads up...

I went down to my local Audi DL and they said they cannot give out any information if I am not the owner of the vehicle due to the new GDPR regulations.

I did go and view the car.

I have to say, beautiful car. The car itself was immaculate apart from all 4 alloys that need refurbing.
The engine is very quiet, no rattling, no turbo whistle, no obvious noises coming from the main areas very very clean sound.
Driving the car, it was a pleasure. Couldn't put my foot down as much due to the speed cameras but on some stretches, the pickup was smooth and could not feel the gear changes. Noiseless inside the car.

I checked the paperwork and asked about the MOT.
So it turns out, the Car was registered in Northern Ireland, and after some googling, they have a different system to us but does not integrate with the UK MOT system.
I checked the service book and it was serviced by a SEAT dealership in Belfast (closest main dealer to the registered keepers address at the time)
The last service was done 3 months ago.

I did notice that the gearbox hasn't been serviced and as it has just reached 80k, it really needs doing (ideally should be done every 40k miles)

IN general, the car was immaculate and clean. Trade Seller as well who is an authorized approved seller by Auto Trader (if that helps).
I've put a small deposit down to confirm the vehicle and will be trying my luck to call an MOT center in Ireland and see if they can help pull up some details and tell me about the mileage or any issues but the engine genuinely sounds brand new.

ONE THING I WOULD SAY
MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS BEING CAUTIOUS OF DRIVING THE VEHICLE IN THE TOWN AS I DID NOT KNOW THE ROADS BUT

WHEN STATIONARY, MOVING OFF, Engaging gear, is it straight away - I think that was my fault though because I wasn't putting a lot of pressure on the accelerator.

I want but will have all Sunday to decide.

When I am engaging D from P it takes about 0.5-0.7 second before car starts to move forward and same was in my c6. I hope this is what you are after :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I am engaging D from P it takes about 0.5-0.7 second before car starts to move forward and same was in my c6. I hope this is what you are after :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This helps, Thank You! :)

Hey,

Just an update,

ended up purchasing an Audi A7 S Line Sportback 201BHP 2012 model with just under 80,000 miles.
Gearbox has been serviced at 55k and 77k but I've also had a full check over from Audi Dealership as well.

Going to do some mods such as;

Front Spliiter
Rear Diffuser
LED Matrix Tailights (retrofit)

I'll make a new thread for before and after pics :)

Thanks again for all the help.
Hopefully I enjoy this vehicle for a few years :)

Reactions: +robster+a7+tdi
Hey,

Just an update,

ended up purchasing an Audi A7 S Line Sportback 201BHP 2012 model with just under 80,000 miles.
Gearbox has been serviced at 55k and 77k but I've also had a full check over from Audi Dealership as well.

Going to do some mods such as;

Front Spliiter
Rear Diffuser
LED Matrix Tailights (retrofit)

I'll make a new thread for before and after pics :)

Thanks again for all the help.
Hopefully I enjoy this vehicle for a few years :)
Hey there!
Am looking at A7 3.0 tdi, quattro 2011 model as well!
So how is your A7 treating you? :)