2013 Audi S3

Is that what they start at?
S3 (3 door ) £30,640
S3 SportBack £31,260
S3 Saloon £33,240

Seems a logical jump up from S3 to S3 SportBack but an extra £1980 premium just for saloon seems silly. Not just the cost difference from 18" to 19" either! Unless I'm missing something?

As you say the Saloon gets 19" alloys, but also gets Magnetic Ride as standard too; a £995.00 option on the 3 Door and Sportback.

Technically they start 59K but thats without on road costs and stamp duty etc they up end up being around 65K for a barebones S3 then add s performance pack which is 5K but adds sports seats,mag ride, led lights, b&o.

Yeah im with you on that one mate they charge 2K extra here for the S3 saloon and as far as I know the 19inch wheels are the only difference apart from the styling of course.

Is that what they start at?
S3 (3 door ) £30,640
S3 SportBack £31,260
S3 Saloon £33,240

Seems a logical jump up from S3 to S3 SportBack but an extra £1980 premium just for saloon seems silly. Not just the cost difference from 18" to 19" either! Unless I'm missing something?

You're missing that you also get Magnetic Ride as standard on the S3 Saloon which is a £1000 option. And it looks the best ;)

Hmm suppose but it means that's £985 for 1" bigger wheels and the tyres cost more. I'd have liked the saloon but budget and practicality made me get the SB

Hmm suppose but it means that's £985 for 1" bigger wheels and the tyres cost more. I'd have liked the saloon but budget and practicality made me get the SB

Not really. If you consider that the jump from Hatch to SB is £600, then the difference on the 19's is £400, which is pretty reasonable. Personally (and I woudl say this) I think all the cars should have 19's as options, I'd have been pretty miffed to have been stuck with 18's (and some S3 owners agree as they've bought after-market 19's). So all down to personal choice. Also boot in Saloon is bigger than SB...

You're missing that you also get Magnetic Ride as standard on the S3 Saloon which is a £1000 option. And it looks the best ;)

Ah magnetic ride apologies...you are right they do look good but im a sportback fan but i could be bias :p
Also I couldnt wait till May/April here in Australia to get the saloon.

Reactions: Joetidman
So the parts get ordered for my S3 today! Now I'm build week 10, it should get built first week of March and delivered last week of March! I found out why I got bumped forward two months. Apparently the garage had ordered an S3 Saloon as a demo car on the system, but then it just disappeared, then reappeared a couple of weeks ago, and they were able to swap my spec over with the one on the system. I guess it also means I should be one of the first people in the UK to get an S3 Saloon :) Fingers crossed all goes well now, as I can't wait :blackrs4:

Reactions: OZAudi84, J6YAK, vakaviti and 1 other person
HATCHBACK / SPORTBACK STANDARD S3 EQUIPMENT LISTING FROM LATEST AUDI BROCHURE (AS OF FEB 2014)

S3+HBSB+SPEC+2014.jpg

SEDAN STANDARD S3 EQUIPMENT LISTING FROM LATEST AUDI BROCHURE (AS OF FEB 2014)

S3+SED+SPEC+2014.jpg

Love the way they show the red calipers in the UK brochure then tell you that you can't order them at the bottom of the page:

S3+SED+SPEC+2014i.jpg

I would imaging that the saloon version is more expensive as they will not have only had to add 19" wheels, but there will be bespoke equipment for the S3 that will be made in far more limited volume than the hatchback / sportback. This will push up the unit prices of some parts as whilst there are other saloons in the VAG range, all the lights / propshafts / exhausts will be lower volume and higher cost offset against investment????

So after all the yatta yatta yatta, myself included, about the absence of the s/steel footrest and S3 logo on key the latest brochure still states the presence of both....

As you say the Saloon gets 19" alloys, but also gets Magnetic Ride as standard too; a £995.00 option on the 3 Door and Sportback.

Probably a good thing with the mag ride - pointless on UK roads. Had it on both my TT's and all it did was make the car handle inconsistently and oh yeah, press the button and it makes your car uncomfortable. Glad it's an option on the S3 SB! Still think the saloon looks like a VW Passat :tocktock:

I'm not sure the S3 Saloon will be 'limited volume' as its being promoted strongly in the US (where the S3 hatch and SB won't feature at all) as well as China and elsewhere. Maybe limited in the UK (making mine more exclusive ;)) but I doubt the fact that its RHD would add much.

I suspect that, Mag ride and 19inch alloys accepting, Audi just knows it can add a few hundred quid here and there, and people (e.g. me) will still buy it.

What a marketeers dream I am!

Probably a good thing with the mag ride - pointless on UK roads. Had it on both my TT's and all it did was make the car handle inconsistently and oh yeah, press the button and it makes your car uncomfortable. Glad it's an option on the S3 SB! Still think the saloon looks like a VW Passat :tocktock:

You're assuming everyone wants to have the sport setting. I intend to have it in comfort on the individual set up! And I still think the SB looks like an estate...

If it was my money I'd have the saloon all day long!

By the way, I thought this was an interesting photo. Just shows how big cars have got now, given these look a similar size, but the A3 saloon is now the platform below the B5 S4

Audi S4 B5 A3 Sedan visual comparison 319

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, warren_S5 and vakaviti
By the way, I thought this was an interesting photo. Just shows how big cars have got now, given these look a similar size, but the A3 saloon is now the platform below the B5 S4

View attachment 27569

And that is why I love it so, a perfect evolution even if it's got a lower number on it!

Reactions: PilotAudi and Joetidman
And I still think the SB looks like an estate...

Nothing wrong with that.. some of the best Audis are Estates and IMHO the Avant versions of the A4 and A6 have always looked better and are cheaper to own due to higher residuals. They are also very practical and no I'm not into dogging before anyone asks!

Reactions: Battlekrapz, vakaviti, gilesf and 1 other person
So after all the yatta yatta yatta, myself included, about the absence of the s/steel footrest and S3 logo on key the latest brochure still states the presence of both....

I noticed that and was told by Audi UK that it would be removed from the next brochure and that was in December

I noticed that and was told by Audi UK that it would be removed from the next brochure and that was in December

The current Price and Specification Guide is dated October 2013. Not sure when a new one will be produced, probably when the prices change. During 2013 Audi UK were bring out a new Guide every month but that was mainly because of new models becoming available rather than price changes.

The current Price and Specification Guide is dated October 2013. Not sure when a new one will be produced, probably when the prices change. During 2013 Audi UK were bring out a new Guide every month but that was mainly because of new models becoming available rather than price changes.

I assumed that it was a copy from a new brochure that Warren had scanned - I know the online brochure hasn't changed yet - Although the Saloon is a January 2014 online and it's in there

I assumed that it was a copy from a new brochure that Warren had scanned - I know the online brochure hasn't changed yet - Although the Saloon is a January 2014 online and it's in there

Scree dumps from Audi's online resource, not physical scanned paper brochures.

The S3 Saloon is a bit bigger than the 3 and 5 door cars. More boot, longer body and wider front.
As well as others have said the wheels and suspension additions.

Thinking of trying the launch control for the first time this weekend.

Just need to find a decent road thats empty and safe.

Who else has given it a blast??

Got an a5 3.0 tdi on courtesy at the minute I've tried the launch numerous times! Seen as my s3 is manual it's a novelty to me! Good toy!

Reactions: Cumbrian_bob

I launched several times with the demo car from my dealer! It's the first time I've experienced launch control and have to say it was real good fun, probably made it better the fact it wasn't mine right enough. It was quite impressive .

Reactions: Cumbrian_bob
So launch control seems to be more enjoyable when the car isnt yours :)

Reactions: rams_s3

I have, but not in my car, it was the dealers demo.

Wheels gives out a screech, and whoosh, you're pushed back in your seat, and if you have a passenger, wait for the scream!

Saw a 14 plate S3 hatch in Estoril Blue awaiting for someone at Cheshire Oaks Audi today.

Mines been PDI'd has my plate on it and is ready, apart from a good seal and wax, to go.

13 days to go...!!! Argh!

Mine was delivered to dealer on Tuesday. May pop in to take a look over the weekend. Roll on 1 march!

I have, but not in my car, it was the dealers demo.

Wheels gives out a screech, and whoosh, you're pushed back in your seat, and if you have a passenger, wait for the scream!

Launch Control video:

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A04OI3pyU_s[/video]

Reactions: Lmg
more like they are shoving it down our throats. For some reason, Americans don't like hatchbacks. You guys have any ideas why?

It's the other way around, UK and certain parts of Europe love the hatchback.

The rest of the world (esp. ****, Aus, USA) love a traditional 3 box Saloon.

The Ford Focus sedan sells in much higher volumes worldwide than the hatch.

It's the other way around, UK and certain parts of Europe love the hatchback.

The rest of the world (esp. ****, Aus, USA) love a traditional 3 box Saloon.

The Ford Focus sedan sells in much higher volumes worldwide than the hatch.

I'm in Aus and will say that Aussies actually love hatches.

Thats not what the sales figures say!

They say you love Utes !!!

:)

Reactions: vakaviti and warren_S5
Thats not what the sales figures say!

They say you love Utes !!!

:)

Can't knock a good Ute :happy:, wouldn't want to come up against this dark destroyer. Bet it shifts!
walkinshaw-hsv-maloo-w.jpg

Reactions: J6YAK and veeeight
What has everyone found their lead time to be? I am ordering tomorrow and since the test drive it's been on my mind!!! I can't wait to take delivery.

What has everyone found their lead time to be? I am ordering tomorrow and since the test drive it's been on my mind!!! I can't wait to take delivery.

I ordered an A3 2.0TDI-184 quattro last Monday as was quoted an estimated delivery of 2 May 2014. A3s and S3s are all built one behind the other on the same production line so I would guess your S3 would be about the same time. Some times the delivery date gets changed when the order is confirmed by the factory. This is usually a few weeks after the order has be placed. Your dealer will be notified when the order is confirmed and will be given a build date. Delivery to the dealer is usually 3 to 4 weeks after that.