2014 8V Chassis S3 Sleeper Build - In Progress

Wondering Soul

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been around here for a little while now, having owned my current S3 from new since January 2014, I decided its time to start with the upgrades! I plan on keeping the car for a good while so this thread may be a document of years worth of changes, as some things wont be coming until a LOT later! I've had a few plans for the car and after speaking to some other owners and some 'tuners' I have made the decision to beef up this model a bit. Currently, there are only a few minor cosmetic changes completed however there are massive mechanical changes in the pipeline, but all will take time (somethings a lot!!).

So below is a list of the planned upgrades, what has been done already and estimated costs involved. I would be doing the very vast majority of all work myself so most things listed wont include any labour but I will state how long the job took me to complete! I will be getting a 'run-around' at some point next year so that's when the real building will begin! This thread is for my own reference as much as anyone else's!
  • Cosmetic
    • Rear Wiper Delete (Done - motor removed, lines and cables removed and tied back) [cost ≈ £30 total - 40 minute install]
    • Wheel Spacers (Done - 15mm front, 20mm rear - will be replaced by new, wider wheels) [cost ≈ £200 total - 30 minute install]
    • Painted Wheel Hubs (Done - wheels/callipers removed and hubs painted with silver Hammerite) [cost ≈ £6 - 2.5 hours including 2nd coat etc]
    • Lowering Springs (Likely not happening, going with adjustable coils instead [might be on for a bit])
  • Engine/Gearbox
    • APR Intake System (may end up being VWR600 or Revo depending on final application)
    • APR Catch Can
    • Turbo Muffler Delete (APR)
    • PCV Delete (if anyone has had their turbo open you'll know why this is here for the 8V!!!)
    • Forge Recirculating Valve with Solenoid Kit etc
    • Forge Boost hoses and Throttle Body hose (throttle body may be carbon from APR in the end)
    • Forge Coolant hoses (full set of 18 hoses will be changed with coolant drain and flush)
    • Wagner Intercooler as it gains slightly higher than the Forge as far as I've seen
    • Stage 2 ECU Map (APR or Revo, possibly custom map by a friend)
    • TCU Map for DSG (APR or Revo)
    • BCS Downpipe to provide better flow to the turbo (before stage 1)
    • Cat-Back Exhaust - Non-resonated, valved (Scorpion or Miltek probably)
    • AEM Water/Meth Injection depending on achieved boost levels
    • HPFP upgrade to allow for higher HP limit
    • High Flow Injectors (HPA probably)
    • Possibly a new Rail Valve depending on pressure achieved
    • Syvecs ECU Upgrade (eventually)
    • Haldex GenV Race Controller (eventually, when they get coding!)
    • HPA Inlet Manifold (provides better flow to individual runners and has ready-to-go meth injection ports)
    • Flex Fuel sensor as the car may have a track ready tune made for 'race fuel'
    • Possibly uprated clutch but may not be required for the gained power on a DSG until much later
    • Stock Internals should be fine until I near the end of this project but this is something that will be monitored throughout the build, as options become available stock parts will likely be swapped out, cost dependant
  • Handling/Traction Stuff
    • Set of wheels with better offset to widen the track a bit and make the spacers redundant
    • Stock suspension replaced with some brand of adjustable Sport/Track Coilovers (to sort out the high speed bounce and also provide ample customisation)
    • Big Brake Kit, front and back from PB Brakes
      • Fronts - 356mm x 32mm 6 Pot Callipers with Drilled & Slotted Floating Rotors
      • Rears - 356mm x 28mm 4/6 Pot Callipers with Drilled & Slotted Rotors
      • Sport pads all round as opposed to race as I don't want to sacrifice too much cold performance and hot bite before fade
      • Braided Steel and PVC coated lines all round
    • Lower control arm replacement (built in camber and caster change wanted & found!)
    • Various suspension bushings being replaced, most by SuperPro
  • Electronics and Misc Stuff
    • A few gauges are going to go in, probably the usual three, undecided where yet
    • Possible use of a Toucan (Syvecs) type digital display to save having the need for analogue gauges as it plugs into the ECU and reads from there
    • Set of front racing seats with attached harness
    • Bit of weight reduction in the boot and rear seats etc
So that's about all I have written down at the moment, some things have already been bought whereas most has not. I've got some great help for the project and personally cannot wait to get it properly under way! The general idea is a sleeper with attitude, needs to look stock on the outside as much as possible, with no hints as to 'what lies beneath', much like my favourite of all cars here belonging to S3Alex :p

Will update as and when new pieces arrive and get fitted!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiddie, AndyB-S3, S3Alex and 5 others
Nice list....should make for a bit of a psycho S3! You'll surprise a lot of people with that.
So, are you planning to keep your car for a good few years?
Mines on a PCP so, I'm reluctant to do anything to it really.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Nice list....should make for a bit of a psycho S3! You'll surprise a lot of people with that.
So, are you planning to keep your car for a good few years?
Yeah I'll be keeping this for a while, after all this is done eventually, I would like a few years of good mileage building on the track and road trips etc

I'll get something efficient and smaller to run round town and to and from work whilst its being built, not my first project car but certainly the most expensive one I have ever considered gutting..lol

Most of what is listed above will void my warranty should I ever need it, as you may have guessed. Best to check PCP documentation with regard to what you can and cant modify.

No bigger turbo ?
Haven't decided yet!

IF I end up going down the Syvecs ECU route then a big turbo build will likely follow but this all depends on timing really. If the car gets a lot of work before Syvecs finish their development work for this chassis then it will probably be left alone for the time being!

Reactions: S3Alex
should be good once finished man I am going for a similar route as yourself a few things are slightly different however i am wanting to keep the stock look as much as possible :)

Very best of luck.

It will be a great journey whatever you do and I guarantee a lot of fun.

Happy New Year also.

Very best of luck.

It will be a great journey whatever you do and I guarantee a lot of fun.

Happy New Year also.

Thanks mate, your build was definitely an inspiration and still a beast to read! Don't want to talk about cost for the big bits as of yet as expensive is an understatement ha What this project ends up as really depends on the availability of some of these parts, Syvecs ECU being one of them..

I know.
Cost becomes exponentially related to power after a while.

Ryan at Syvecs and Andy at Storm should be able to help re dates for the ECU.

On a big turbo build that thing makes a huge impact.

I know.
Cost becomes exponentially related to power after a while.

Ryan at Syvecs and Andy at Storm should be able to help re dates for the ECU.

On a big turbo build that thing makes a huge impact.
Have you had yours for very long? Can't remember when I saw you post about your cars new brain ha Do you still use this in addition to the factory ECU or have you gone for a full replacement?

Coming up to a year in Feb.

It's a complete replacement,and I still have the old one in my garage...wish I could say the same for my own brain.....

You are creating a monster!
Let's see how is going on! :)

Luck!

Forgot to add earlier.....

If you're considering an inlet manifold then also consider the Boulekos and IE manifolds.

As you know,I've got the Boulekos,but IE also make a manifold plumbed for WMI,and their parts are superb.

Thanks very much! Was wondering about options on that side of things!

Thanks very much! Was wondering about options on that side of things!

Always ready to help a fellow member spend their cash.

Here's the Boulekos....

Last edited:
Reactions: RO65ERS, Wondering Soul and DAZMC
Always ready to help a fellow member spend their cash.

Here's the Boulekos....

That's a very nice looking part! Remember seeing this in your thread now, the red rail reminded me! Thanks again!