2014 S3 and 2019 S3

discodeek

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a brief update on how they compare ?- I had a new 64 plate S3 and could be looking for another, back then it was a 6 speed auto, think it’s 7 now ?- that was its only let down, high revving on long journeys.

much else changed ?

cheers

The early facelifts (2016 and some 2017’s - can anyone confirm any other years?) have an extra 10bhp and newer looks (headlights and bumpers etc) but no, the only other changes are some options. Virtual cockpit is nice and really freshens up the S3. The 7 speed auto is awesome too. No more three door models anymore though unless you want to buy secondhand as they’ve stopped making those. Apple CarPlay is standard from facelift onwards too.

If you’re bothered about sound make sure you get a model with 310bhp, I believe from 68 reg onwards Audi reverted to 300bhp as they’ve got the new GPF filter in which removes standard OEM crackles and pops. Lots of threads on here with people unhappy with the new very quiet exhaust.

I’ve got a res delete on my S3 to make the exhaust even louder and in 7th gear cruising it’s still comfortable with the revs fairly low, not as good as my old 8 speed S5 but still decent. Average mpg on a long motorway cruise for me is about 35-38mpg.

Reactions: Ron240
They've gone quieter, additional gear, less powerful (than the FL version anyway, though compared to the PFL it's pretty much the same) and (supposedly) improved tech in the dashboard.
My friend has a FL with res delete (I have PFL with res delete), I like how it's loud when reversing compared to mine.
Oh and they've cheaped out on the steering wheel - just has S on it (like S Line), not S3 specific like on the old 'uns

Last edited:
Great updates !
Yep I had a 3 door, was thinking sportback or even saloon. Always liked how it had a wee bit of pop to it, I’ve just sold a MK2 focus Rs, the Rs3 would be amazing but a bit out of my price range and doing that 15/16k a year would just be too much £££

how does the mpg average out ? My last one was around 320 to a tank, fuel prices are way lower just now and suspect we won’t see a return to £1.30 a litre for a while !

I have a 310bhp 66 plate facelift 3dr. In Eco mode on the motorway cruising for work it can get as high as 38-40mpg doing 70mph on the old cruise control. It’s really economical I think for a fast little hatchback.

As for the S branded stuff, yeah Audi have cheaped out. The steering wheel says “S”. So I bought the old S3 badge from a PFL and modded/fitted it. The brake callipers now just have an S Logo and the door sills also display S.

I’d keep an eye out for a FL 2016/2017 model so you get the noisier exhaust, and if you buy one that’s had one owner you can save a load of wonga. I’ve seen nice ones for about £20k with 30k miles.

As previously stated, 18 plate is the last of the 310PS pre GPF models. Definitely sounds better....if that matters to you.
Mine is an 18 plate but i had no idea it was about to change when i bought it. :innocent:

Regarding value, I have(or had) a confirmed £25k on a trade in for April this year on my 8000 mile mint condition(everybody says that but trust me mine is) S3 Saloon(May 2018) in the best colour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14 and Bells
As previously stated, 18 plate is the last of the 310PS pre GPF models. Definitely sounds better....if that matters to you.
Mine is an 18 plate but i had no idea it was about to change when i bought it. :innocent:

Regarding value, I have(or had) a confirmed £25k on a trade in for April this year on my 8000 mile mint condition(everybody says that but trust me mine is) S3 Saloon(May 2018) in the best colour.
Best colour ?! Well I’d be looking for Ara blue or Daytona grey !!!!! With virtual cockpit

Haha - It’s all about Nogaro, boys! :p But tbh Ara was my first choice before I found the Noggy!! :)

The early facelifts (2016 and some 2017’s - can anyone confirm any other years?) have an extra 10bhp and newer looks (headlights and bumpers etc) but no, the only other changes are some options. Virtual cockpit is nice and really freshens up the S3. The 7 speed auto is awesome too. No more three door models anymore though unless you want to buy secondhand as they’ve stopped making those. Apple CarPlay is standard from facelift onwards too.
No manual option on new ones either afaik.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk