2015 / 2016 AUDI RS3 Sportback (8V) ' Test Drive & Review - TheGetawayer

Controversial! He would rather have an S3 than an RS3...really? .... although I appreciate his price point but surely it's all about 5 pot, torque, 0-60 times, styling, exclusivity - and sports exhaust! Well it is for me, plus if he wants feedback on how best to tweak to make it more playful....next time tryout with a DTUK box in and it will blow the pants off you!

If anyone who has driven both says they'd rather have the S3 they are simply stark raving bonkers ...

TX.

Reactions: Daniel McCormick and Sandra
I'm sure the ASN h8trs will be along shortly once they get wind of this.........

Reactions: Sandra
I looked pretty seriously at the S3 due to the cost price difference and it looks like a great car. The clincher though was I knew that every time I drove it I would wish I was driving the RS3.

Reactions: Ghost, richard2761, Sandra and 1 other person
I understand what he wants to tell.

the RS3 is a beast compared to the S3 , its sound , its power , but the S3 has other good points that makes it a better purchase.

I wrote this one month ago on the S3 tuning thread and this is just my opinion :) :

at home we have an S3 8V and an RS3 8V

S3 8V: 86.000km
RS3 8V: 5.000km

Engine:
RS3 that extra torque is fabulous.
S3: remap it or box it

DSG:
S3 : faster, smoother
RS3: 7th gear but jerky and not as fast as DQ250

Launch Control:eek:
RS3: don't know why but seems that RS3 needs more time to think and prepare itself when LC is engaged.
S3: LC with the MTM cantronic and it feels faster.
When I mean faster is when you have the 2 pedals down and you release the brake pedal, the execution is faster in S3.

Exhaust:
RS3: we have the sport option, we love it.
S3: so so

Brakes:
RS3: worst thing of RS3 , brake pedal feedback after heavy use is horrendous.
S3: better feedback after heavy use.

Handling:

RS3: mag ride but feels heavier.
S3: love its ride with new sway bars.

Fuel consumption in the same section 18km:
S3 following RS3 ( onboard computer )

RS3: 26L/100km
S3:19L/100km

Overall package:

RS3: emotional purchase
S3: best buy price / performance.

regards

Reactions: cpc_s3
Both S3 and RS3 are superb cars IMO.

Yes there is a premium for the RS and the main draw for most (including me) is the 2.5 litre 5 pot engine ... that is the star of the RS show for sure. The performance exhaust is the icing on the cake.

RS comes with more kit as standard and once you equalise that the difference £ gap is bridged quite considerably and is only around £6k more then for the RS.

At the end of the day s3 or rs3 you go for which one you want most but both stunning cars.

Reactions: Ghost, Bristle Hound, Terminator x and 2 others
I tested both (S3 during one week and RS3 one day) and had similar feelings, great cars but not exciting enough; S3 much better in price / performance relation. Also other factors like aesthetics with almost no differentiation between lowest models and outdated technology (still MIB-I) did the rest to get it discarded.

I bet new Golf R420 will be much better in terms of driving and fun, and of course tech and aesthetics diffs. If M2 didn't exist and wasn't coming to my garage in 2 months, I would be looking for that one. In march VW will present Golf VII facelift, and R420 next.

I have driven both and prefer my S3 as it isn't a noisy automatic estate (almost an estate), I am in my 40s and would feel a little self conscious ;)
Give me the RS3 engine in the 3dr manual S3 and happy days, price cannot be justified in the RS3 when compared to other recent launches.
I'll throw the stick...............

Reactions: mister.c.
Stick caught lol :tonguewink:

For me the price of the RS3 represents excellent value for money and is easily justified .....

When you consider an S3 sportback is £31,850

plus s tronic @ £1,480
plus LED lights @ £800
plus 19" wheels @ £800
plus light and rain sensors and light pack @ £500

That little lot (standard on the RS3) brings the comparible S3 to £35,430

So for just £5,300 extra you are getting the RS3 and all its performance, styling and trim enhancements ... including the all important 2.5 litre 5 pot engine & sports exhaust !!!

Reactions: S3 AD, xpoweruk, Terminator x and 1 other person
Happy days SP and thanks for playing.............
I would never own an s-tronic, the A3 LEDs aren't worth the extra and 19" are for pimps. As for value for money go across to the blue oval corner.

hehe

Last edited:
Happy days SP and thanks for playing.............
I would never own an s-tronic, the A3 LEDs aren't worth the extra and 19" are for pimps. As for value for money go across to the blue oval corner.
hehe

I never thought I would own an auto / s-tronic as been manual for every car I've owned up till my current S5.
That was s-tronic only (like the RS3) so it was go for it or not get the car.
I do still like a manual and am 50/50 now as the 'auto' does have its advantages too.
Bigger wheels and the LED lights are something I would have specced on a S3 anyway.
IMO the LED lights not only are a step on from xenon, but they look damn cool too :sunglasses:

8569360354 bffc5f9b0a b zpsc1a8a9b0

Reactions: cpc_s3
Guy wanted it to be a manual - he says so about 5 times during his 'review' and throws a tantrum because he has to drive a S-tronic. His comments about his hand position and having big hands and couldn't reach the paddles is laughable and just an excuse to try and find issues to moan about. As for price? As pointed out, it isn't that much of a jump from the S3 and yes you could get the S3 chipped or a box, but you could also do the same with the RS3 and it'd be even better still...strange that a moderator posts a controversial video that is a few months old into the one area where there will be issues. Brave move or a set up.

Guy wanted it to be a manual - he says so about 5 times during his 'review' and throws a tantrum because he has to drive a S-tronic. His comments about his hand position and having big hands and couldn't reach the paddles is laughable and just an excuse to try and find issues to moan about. As for price? As pointed out, it isn't that much of a jump from the S3 and yes you could get the S3 chipped or a box, but you could also do the same with the RS3 and it'd be even better still...strange that a moderator posts a controversial video that is a few months old into the one area where there will be issues. Brave move or a set up.
I came across a video, I posted it to share. Nothing controversial about it. This is not a set up. Maybe you just need to chill out and stop thinking someone is out to trip you up.

Reactions: veeeight, Daniel McCormick, Ghost and 6 others
Why when we have these comparison threads, which always lead to people ******* each other off, do we have to compare a stock RS3 to a tuned S3.

You have to compare stock to stock and everyone has to agree that the RS3 is the better car. Whether its the better purchase is a personal choice. And i think this mainly comes down to affordability. Dont think im saying that people who bought an S3 cant afford an RS3 as im not, some people cant justify the extra expense even if they can still afford it.

At the end of the day, they are pretty much the same car, so we should all be able to get along! I hate the elitism that comes along in the model wars that plague forums nowadays. 10 years ago on the forums if you owned a particular brand thats all it took. No one cared about what you/they have and there was no elitism. I suppose thats a reflection of todays society. 'If you don't have the best of that particular thing you obviously can't afford it' which is absolute ********! It doesnt just apply to cars either!

Anyway, please lets all get along! Cant be doing with these petty arguments on the forum. And most people wouldn't say boo to a goose in person!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 45bvtc, Ghost, Terminator x and 3 others
One thing I did notice on my test drive was the paddles were to short and I experienced exactly the same issue as the tested - having to move grip/twist hands to use. I do have small hands, by way of a random comparison I found the bmw 135 a bit better - tested same week. Not a deal breaker - I see you can buy extenders, Ill see how I get on may get used to it :) only 5 days until collection!

Reactions: Ghost
Is the RS3 worth the premium over the S3 MK:2.

Looks like its heading that way lol

Just noticed my post was edited by a mod. What was edited so i know for future reference?

I came across a video, I posted it to share. Nothing controversial about it. This is not a set up. Maybe you just need to chill out and stop thinking someone is out to trip you up.

Sandra you should know by now, if it's not backslapping praise of the RS3 it's not welcome in these parts.

Reactions: veeeight and mister.c.
Guys,

I know Guido... and spoke to him about this review... firstly, he drove the car on stuffed up winter tyres...which he admitted destroyed the handling proposition... vs the S3 on summer tyres.

He was just being controversial... He loves the TTRS, in manual, which was one of the most heavily slated cars of 2009...as it understeered heavily and was unadjustable... The RS3 has a version 5 haldex with torque vectoring, and he also didnt know that, turning ESC onto sport, enables the rear biased torque vectoring to kick in... so go figure.

Go to Fastestlaps.com and you can see how much slower an S3 is than an RS3...lap times are daylight apart.

Here in Australia, Motor Magazine just reviewed the FL A45 and RS3, and all the guys preferred the RS3...

Hows this for a positive review --> http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-audi-rs3-review-first-australian-drive-36075

No S3 is going to sound like a Lambo, thats for sure.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Ozmosis
ba45 I was going to comment that I read that this test was performed on winter tyres, so happy to read that confirmation!

The RS3 is my first car with an auto g'box and I must say that I love it! I do still own a second car which is manual, though.

I played in the snow in mine with the ESC fully off, and it is a hoot. Can really feel the four wheel drive moving to the rear, with a bit of power oversteer thrown in, although briefly. Great fun anyway!

Reactions: T-800 and Snake Pliskin
Guys,

I know Guido... and spoke to him about this review... firstly, he drove the car on stuffed up winter tyres...which he admitted destroyed the handling proposition... vs the S3 on summer tyres.

He was just being controversial... He loves the TTRS, in manual, which was one of the most heavily slated cars of 2009...as it understeered heavily and was unadjustable... The RS3 has a version 5 haldex with torque vectoring, and he also didnt know that, turning ESC onto sport, enables the rear biased torque vectoring to kick in... so go figure.

Go to Fastestlaps.com and you can see how much slower an S3 is than an RS3...lap times are daylight apart.

Here in Australia, Motor Magazine just reviewed the FL A45 and RS3, and all the guys preferred the RS3...

Hows this for a positive review --> http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-audi-rs3-review-first-australian-drive-36075

No S3 is going to sound like a Lambo, thats for sure.

Great info thanks - and the review is a very good read :yes:

ba45 I was going to comment that I read that this test was performed on winter tyres, so happy to read that confirmation!

The RS3 is my first car with an auto g'box and I must say that I love it! I do still own a second car which is manual, though.

I played in the snow in mine with the ESC fully off, and it is a hoot. Can really feel the four wheel drive moving to the rear, with a bit of power oversteer thrown in, although briefly. Great fun anyway!

Nice one mate ... sounds like the RS3 is a great drivers car - reassuringly safe & secure but fun when the occasion arises.

Reactions: Ozmosis
Nice one mate ... sounds like the RS3 is a great drivers car - reassuringly safe & secure but fun when the occasion arises.

Yeah, to add a balance to the 'fun in snow' comment, I also drove 340km across Poland in the same weather, and I have never been in a car that felt so secure in the conditions. It really is two or maybe even three cars in one!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Yeah, to add a balance to the 'fun in snow' comment, I also drove 340km across Poland in the same weather, and I have never been in a car that felt so secure in the conditions. It really is two or maybe even three cars in one!

Now that is the kind of feedback I really enjoy reading ... real facts and experiences from real owners who drive the cars on real roads day to day.
Forget the 'experts' who have had the Dealers demo for a day and then know the car inside out or Pro reviewers who take the car "on track" lol :)

The RS3 is a 5 door practical ultra hot mega performance hatch which can do almost everything from seating 5 adults in comfort, transport you safely with quattro, give you all the driving enjoyment you could wish for from that glorious engine and fabulous sports exhaust, overtakes dispatched with consumate ease, looks amazing, oozes quality, value for money etc etc.

Like you say, it just delievers on every level and does everything you want it to - I am certainly of the belief it will be the best car I have ever owned - and some :yes:

Reactions: Daniel McCormick, Mark_E, Ozmosis and 1 other person
I prefer the RS3 over an S3 and bought an RS3 over an S3 because....

it's a god damned RS3 ***!!

Reactions: Ozmosis
I prefer the RS3 over an S3 and bought an RS3 over an S3 because....

it's a god damned RS3 ***!!

No no no.... Surely if you believe everything you read, we have only bought the RS3 because we want to be elitist, pretentious pr......!!

THIS FORUM IS PATHETIC AS FAR AS THE 8V S3 /RS3 IS CONCERENED ,I WAS ASKED BY THE FORUM OWNERS SOME MONTHS AGO TO MODERATE THE SECTION AND I DECLINED ,IT WILL NEVER CHANGE ON HERE AND THATS WHY MEMBERSHIP IS THRIVING ON RS3OC WHERE TOPICS/THREADS CAN BE DISCUSSED WITHOUT BEING SPOILED BY INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE MAPPED AN S3 AND TRIED MAKING IT LOOK LIKE AN RS3 THEN COMPARE IT TO A STOCK RS3.

I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN

AN S3 WILL NEVER BE AN RS3 NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU SPEND ON MODIFICATIONS SO JUST GET OVER IT .

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshy, bqik, Foxtrot_Oscar and 1 other person
I couldn't care less about anyone trying to personally trip me up as you put it. I was however pointing out that such a controversial video would upset the apple cart and found it strange that it would be a Mod kicking off such a thread - I mean what kind of reaction were you expecting on this forum? I'm surprised you didn't invite your mate V8 to also get stuck in. Are ASN that desperate to get people to post they are going for click bait type threads now?
Also, the video along with many others was posted some time ago in this thread in this very forum http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs3-8v-video-reviews-clips-and-more.250539/

THIS FORUM IS PATHETIC AS FAR AS THE 8V S3 /RS3 IS CONCERENED ,I WAS ASKED BY THE FORUM OWNERS SOME MONTHS AGO TO MODERATE THE SECTION AND I DECLINED ,IT WILL NEVER CHANGE ON HERE AND THATS WHY MEMBERSHIP IS THRIVING ON RS3OC WHERE TOPICS/THREADS CAN BE DISCUSSED WITHOUT BEING SPOILED BY INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE MAPPED AN S3 AND TRIED MAKING IT LOOK LIKE AN RS3 THEN COMPARE IT TO A STOCK RS3.

I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN

AN S3 WILL NEVER BE AN RS3 NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU SPEND ON MODIFICATIONS SO JUST GET OVER IT .

you are right, in my case I wrote a personal opinion as objective as possible.

Just telling what I find better in S3 and better in RS3.

regards

I was however pointing out that such a controversial video would upset the apple cart and found it strange that it would be a Mod kicking off such a thread - I mean what kind of reaction were you expecting on this forum? I'm surprised you didn't invite your mate V8 to also get stuck in. Are ASN that desperate to get people to post they are going for click bait type threads now?

How is a video controversial? It's about the RS3, so it can legitimately be posted here. Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean it's controversial.

People on here can be unbelievable sometimes - you're allowed to like your car, but guess what? Others are allowed to disagree.

It's a forum, not the "Website of RS3 Praise".

Get a grip!

Reactions: 45bvtc, CraigI and Ghost
How is a video controversial? It's about the RS3, so it can legitimately be posted here. Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean it's controversial.

People on here can be unbelievable sometimes - you're allowed to like your car, but guess what? Others are allowed to disagree.

It's a forum, not the "Website of RS3 Praise".

Get a grip!
I don't have an RS3. I can see I'm wasting my time. Moving on.

Thankfully the posters @ ASN who are out just to provoke an argument, continually post negative comments, rarely post positive or informative comments or add any value to ASN's community are on the whole a minority I believe.

We have some great mods & members here and for me personally, I prefer to post positive comments and if I have anything negative to say, I tend to just keep it to myself - unless I think it is worth communicating to others of course.

It does baffle me though why there does appear to be a small minority who continually bash the audi brand on this site. It's not just the RS3 it is other models too. I've had 3 audi's now in a row over 8 years and will be getting my 4th shortly. I've enjoyed every one of them, all for different reasons. Audi may not make a 'perfect' car but hell they certainly make ****** good ones in my book be it S3, RS3, TT, A5 !

Life is too short to be getting roped into unnecessary debates over this & that, I'm all about sharing enjoyable experiences wherever possible.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
1 thing I don't like about the 8v is the flat spot in between gears!. Ie: if I floor it from start when it changes into second u jerk forward a little coz of the sudden drop in powder while it's changing gear. Happens in all gears but 1st-2nd is worse... The other day I was slowing down to a red light until it went green so I was rolling in second then soon as it went green I put my foot down and the car reved it's ******** off but the car didn't even move lol like I was riding the clutch then 2secs later it gripped the gearbox and off it went.

The 8p witch I came from to the 8v the gearbox was way better or should I say there was no delay or no flat spots ect

Ps: it doesn't happen all the time sometimes it pulls nicely but I would say 80% of the time it does have that delay.

Stick caught lol :tonguewink:

For me the price of the RS3 represents excellent value for money and is easily justified .....

When you consider an S3 sportback is £31,850

plus s tronic @ £1,480
plus LED lights @ £800
plus 19" wheels @ £800
plus light and rain sensors and light pack @ £500

That little lot (standard on the RS3) brings the comparible S3 to £35,430

So for just £5,300 extra you are getting the RS3 and all its performance, styling and trim enhancements ... including the all important 2.5 litre 5 pot engine & sports exhaust !!!

Yes but its not that cut and dried.....its pretty easy to get a 10% plus discount on an S3... Its difficult to get 3% off an RS3.... That makes the price difference even greater.

I don't care what anybody says, if the RS3 and S3 were the same price I'd be pretty sure 100% of people would go for the RS3 and if you say you wouldn't your a liar, saying you prefer one because of its price is the most stupid argument I've ever heard, it's like saying why buy an M4 just buy an M2 for 14k less, oh wait why buy an M2 when you can buy an M235i for 16k less, oh wait what about the ....... And so on and so on.
If RS3 owners wanted to save money and buy an S3 I'm sure they ****** would have! Lol

Reactions: Sandra, Snake Pliskin and DAYTONA 500
Yes but its not that cut and dried.....its pretty easy to get a 10% plus discount on an S3... Its difficult to get 3% off an RS3.... That makes the price difference even greater.

To be fair that is a good point agreed.

Reactions: Kugaman1
I don't care what anybody says, if the RS3 and S3 were the same price I'd be pretty sure 100% of people would go for the RS3 and if you say you wouldn't your a liar, saying you prefer one because of its price is the most stupid argument I've ever heard, it's like saying why buy an M4 just buy an M2 for 14k less, oh wait why buy an M2 when you can buy an M235i for 16k less, oh wait what about the ....... And so on and so on.
If RS3 owners wanted to save money and buy an S3 I'm sure they ****** would have! Lol

Nonsense I'm afraid.

Saloon S3 v Saloon RS3 and same price I'd agree RS3 all the way.
Saloon S3 v Sportback RS3 is a much closer call.
Looks are important to many and the saloon S3 looks considerably better than the Sportback RS3 IMO.