2016 A7 AMI USB-C to Samsung Note10+ 5G - Android auto / charging problem

tallirishguy

Reaction score
I just got a 2016 A7 and love it. However I see that my car is not on 'Android Auto's list of compatible models (pre 2017). However modern iphones somehow work with the apple connector AMI cable in my car.

The AMI to USB A (female) official Audi cable came with the car and when I plugged in various high end USB C cables, I kept getting error message: Cable / device not supported. So I bought an official Audi USB A to C for my phone thinking that might fix the issue of my phone not even charging when plugged in to the AMI. Nope, still nothing.

I'm horrendously uneducated on these cars and systems but I can build computers and cameras so not completely dumb. What are my options to:

1. Get my phone charging off the car's AMI. I'd rather do this than fit a 12V charger in the slot.
  2. Get Android Auto retrospectively working and talking to the car through like a firmware update?
The car came with an SD card in the SD slot 1. I haven't tinkered with that and I'm sure the maps etc probably needs updating.

Please help!

Software version: RME_EU_P1432B
Navigation database version: 8X0919884J - P32-50-15.03

If you have AMI, and not the two USB slots, then it may have been registered in 2016, but it’s an early 2015 C7 model.

If confirmed as a C7 model, there is nothing you can do via software to enable Audi Smartphone. Your only option is to install a 3rd party interface. I think RSNav is probably the most widely available solution.
I’m not aware of an AMI charging cable.

John :racer:

If you have AMI, and not the two USB slots, then it may have been registered in 2016, but it’s an early 2015 C7 model.

If confirmed as a C7 model, there is nothing you can do via software to enable Audi Smartphone. Your only option is to install a 3rd party interface. I think RSNav is probably the most widely available solution.
I’m not aware of an AMI charging cable.

John :racer:
Thanks John, looks like you're right.
Regardless of no Android Auto function, is there any benefits to updating the MMI interface software version - can / should I?

Well upgrading will usually sort out any bugs associated with Bluetooth connectivity, will probably update your navigation maps as well, however there are not many downloadable upgrade options for the older MMI system, so may be a dealer vi$it….

There are third party options out there to give you Android and Apple connectivity, may be better looking at those instead of spending money on an MMI upgrade with limited functionality….

Reactions: tallirishguy
I had an IMI-1000 unit from Integrated Automotive fitted to my 2016 A7, this gives both Android and CarPlay functionality on the MMI.

The unit cost £455 and fitting another £125 but now I can use Waze, Amazon, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk