2016 S3 Tuning

koochdog

Reaction score
I've been reading up on tunes for the S3 and it sounds like the MTM is closest to what I'm looking for but the price seems crazy! I've also read about the DTUK and JB1 but I'm not sure I want the issues (DSG rough/slipping, error codes, hard to remove roadside) I've read about with this. Is there a cheaper warranty friendly option out there?

Having gone down the route of tuning boxes on my old S3 8V, I would highly recommend going for a remap. The tuning box I ran was very jerky and ultimately my car broke down requiring new injectors which I'm certain was a result from the tuning box. Now I have been down the route of a APR map, its a far better power delivery and more impressive gains. A tuning box will just manipulate signals to the ECU where as a remap is a software calibration which is a result of 100s of hours of dyno and real world testing. If you blow a turbo or something major with a tuning box...trust me....Audi will find out! Either way of a remap or tuning box, your warranty will be void on engine components. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
You gets what you pay for. I would go mtm in your position.

But as above remap is the way forward!
Apr off the shelf
revo off the shelf
mrc custom map
Unicorn custom map I have this one. I had Apr before unicorn a custom map has transformed my car.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mike.
How much do remaps typically cost? Also, is it possible to reset a remap? For example, at service or lease end?

If you wait for the right time, they do discount every now and then so my APR map on the RS3 was £650ish. I believe Revo do the same. They can flash your ECU back to stock so for servicing etc, the car is completely stock then simply have them upload the map back to your car after.

Some tuners will map it back to stock when you go for a service.

The revo has an option of sps? Box so you can put it back to standard your self.
But you can't hide it from them.
What ever you use they can prove its been there if they have too. Until a tuner can remove the td marker you are taking a risk.

As the saying goes you play you pay!! If you can afford to fix it if it goes pop fine if you can't leave well alone!!
I was bricking it at first but you only live once might aswell enjoy it.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Having read plenty of posts about this I think the best maps are the custom ones from MRC and Unicorn, does anyone have any preference between these two? MRC are nearly 6 hours from me and unicorn nearly 4 hours away. I wish I could find someone as good in Scotland

Ive heard very good things about MRC. They do impressive work, however they are too far from me (Aberdeen) so I had mine done at Ecotone in Glasgow.

I have unicorn it's similar to the mrc looking at dyno runs.

Unicorn dose a lot of golf r's have a look on the r forums. Had Apr on before and now it drives much better depends what other mods you are going to ad

Reactions: Rob2k68, Scotty2011 and Chris5
APR, how you liking it? There about 2minutes around the corner from me in Hillington

Think a good few have changed from APR/REVO to one of the two custom ones. They would be my preference to, it's just a bit of a drive, how much was the custom map?

My mate has revo which imo drove better than the Apr. He drives it hard and has done for 15k miles no problems at all.
My custom map was 600

I've been reading up on tunes for the S3 and it sounds like the MTM is closest to what I'm looking for but the price seems crazy! I've also read about the DTUK and JB1 but I'm not sure I want the issues (DSG rough/slipping, error codes, hard to remove roadside) I've read about with this. Is there a cheaper warranty friendly option out there?

If you get dsg slip issues with the torque levels of these boxes, it usually is because car is low on dsg fluid and needs top up.

With the Jb1 you however have the option to adjust the torque down at the particular rpm range where the slip occured.

But yes, the Mtm is easier to take off and you can get optional engine/drivetrain insurance for two years.

The MTM is a magnificent bit of kit, yes it's expensive but you get what you pay for - the knowledge and expertise that goes into the M-Cantronic is unparalleled, then you have the engine and drivetrain warranty, the ease of fitting/removal, and the fact it does so much more than an average tuning box - it's pretty much a standalone ECU. You won't be disappointed!

Reactions: S3 Turbo
From what I've read AUDI have new S/W to detect all tuning boxes if they really want to. MTM would be my preference if going for a box and maybe their warranty. Really depends what you want from the car (stage 1,2,3 ?), how close you are to the retailers if you want the map removed when it goes for a service, any other mods, etc. Revo/Apr often offer 20-25% show discounts so thats worth bearing in mind. Suspension and brakes may also need some attention if you want it to handle and stop as well as it goes.

From what I've read AUDI have new S/W to detect all tuning boxes if they really want to. MTM would be my preference if going for a box and maybe their warranty. Really depends what you want from the car (stage 1,2,3 ?), how close you are to the retailers if you want the map removed when it goes for a service, any other mods, etc. Revo/Apr often offer 20-25% show discounts so thats worth bearing in mind. Suspension and brakes may also need some attention if you want it to handle and stop as well as it goes.

According to George Smooth (Burger Tuning) the 'TB1' (tuning box detection) bulletin travelling around the forums is old from like 2013 so nothing has really changed...

Still no JB1 tunes detected what is known, except cases where leaving the box on at service.
Same likely goes for Mtm and Dtuk although technically would be simpler to detect dtuk by looking at fuel trim logs...

Has anyone made a warranty claims on the engine,turbo or gear box after removing a tuning box?

...warranty friendly...

Also, is it possible to reset a remap? For example, at service or lease end?

Alarm bells are ringing here...

Before I offer the following opinions, let me just say they come from someone who has tuned most of the cars he has ever owned...

Now, for the record, there is no such thing as a "warranty friendly" tune, chip or remap. You tune it, you lose the warranty, and any subsequent failure is down to you. This is fine, if you are willing to accept the risk that a c.£15k bill for a replacement power train might be the ultimate cost.

Should you decide to tune it, blow it up, and then try to remove the evidence of the tuning by way of resetting it back to stock before presenting the car to Audi for repair under warranty, then that is not the act of a cheeky chappie just trying it on. Its a criminal act. Specifically its an offence under the Fraud Act (2006), with potential overlaps into the Theft Act (1978). There are a number ways that these acts may be applied. They can for instance be used to charge you with mutilple offences, including, but certainly not limited to;

Obtaining services dishonestly
Fraud by failing to disclose information
Fraud by false representation

These carry custodial sentences...

Lease End? If you've leased the car, its not yours to tune. The actual owner will have a very different opinion on what youre doing to their car, and if they find out, they'll cancel your contract, recover the car, and carry out all the works required to return it to the condition it should be in at your expense.

Reactions: TomBlueS3
Has anyone made a warranty claims on the engine,turbo or gear box after removing a tuning box?

There are a bunch of cases in the Jb1 threads on the US VW forums. Most are ofcourse not serious engine/drivetrain issues but also those very few cases have been covered according to what is written...

I'm coming from an M235 before the S3. I'm not looking to do too much, just get get a little more power through the powerband. I feel like the M235 pulled a bit more.

Alarm bells are ringing here...

Before I offer the following opinions, let me just say they come from someone who has tuned most of the cars he has ever owned...

Now, for the record, there is no such thing as a "warranty friendly" tune, chip or remap. You tune it, you lose the warranty, and any subsequent failure is down to you. This is fine, if you are willing to accept the risk that a c.£15k bill for a replacement power train might be the ultimate cost.

Should you decide to tune it, blow it up, and then try to remove the evidence of the tuning by way of resetting it back to stock before presenting the car to Audi for repair under warranty, then that is not the act of a cheeky chappie just trying it on. Its a criminal act. Specifically its an offence under the Fraud Act (2006), with potential overlaps into the Theft Act (1978). There are a number ways that these acts may be applied. They can for instance be used to charge you with mutilple offences, including, but certainly not limited to;

Obtaining services dishonestly
Fraud by failing to disclose information
Fraud by false representation

These carry custodial sentences...

Lease End? If you've leased the car, its not yours to tune. The actual owner will have a very different opinion on what youre doing to their car, and if they find out, they'll cancel your contract, recover the car, and carry out all the works required to return it to the condition it should be in at your expense.
I was under the impression as long as the car was reverted back at lease end and not damaged there are no issues. Are there any dealer modifications available that boost power a bit? My dealer used to work with Stasis but no longer does.

Lease companies might tolerate a bit of sign writing, but would they let you convert it into a race car on the understanding that it had all its road car bits fitted when you handed it back? Not a chance, they want that car back in tip top stock condition so they can sell it on, approved used, with a warranty. They certainly won't be to keen on you risking the future value of the asset, and may even consider it such an abuse of the vehicle that they insist you buy it from them outright. Your contract will state what they consider to be fair use, and I doubt voiding it's warranty is included as acceptable.

VWFS has also been shown to lack understanding when it comes to mods on PCP cars. This is perhaps the most infamous example, but there are others;

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193416

In short, if you don't own it, don't modify it.

There is a manufacturer approved, warranty friendly and very effective way to get more power out of an S3 though, so all is not lost. You simply need to buy an RS3.

Lease companies might tolerate a bit of sign writing, but would they let you convert it into a race car on the understanding that it had all its road car bits fitted when you handed it back? Not a chance, they want that car back in tip top stock condition so they can sell it on, approved used, with a warranty. They certainly won't be to keen on you risking the future value of the asset, and may even consider it such an abuse of the vehicle that they insist you buy it from them outright. Your contract will state what they consider to be fair use, and I doubt voiding it's warranty is included as acceptable.

VWFS has also been shown to lack understanding when it comes to mods on PCP cars. This is perhaps the most infamous example, but there are others;

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193416

In short, if you don't own it, don't modify it.

There is a manufacturer approved, warranty friendly and very effective way to get more power out of an S3 though, so all is not lost. You simply need to buy an RS3.
That seems like a nightmare. I have the $ to be able to buyout my lease at any point if I needed to, I just prefer to lease to keep my money working for me and have the liability of the vehicle someone else's issue (ex if car was in an accident just turn it in at the end). Sounds like there might not be anything I can change.

Does anyone know if the 2016s will get the update the 2017s have that give the car an extra 25hp or so?

One example is dans car. He knows the mods he has done has damaged the engine
He has given the car back and some poor sod in the future will have massive problems with that car. Lease companies and car dealerships should check before they take the cars back.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Forbzeeee and Rob2k68