2017 A4 B9 Key fob issues.

Logicpro8_user

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have what I think is a keyfob sync issue. Went to go out in the car.... fob wouldn't work, kept trying to, changed the battery, Red LED flashing etc ok then the alarm went off. Odd...

Spare key works though :).

Anyway, the dud key... I don't really know whats happened to it, tried the steps as suggested in another thread and ask the OP if they have suggestions, however, it is buried in posts as it's from 2019 so making a new post in case anyone can help. https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/re-sync-key.408041/

1) I unlocked the car with the working remote and leave outside the car
2) Put the dud one in the armrest compartment on the key sensor.
3) Pressed start on the car.

Result: The car won't start, keeps saying place the key over the armrest compartment on the key sensor.

I also tried

1) I unlocked the car with the dud remote actual key
2) Put the dud remote in the armrest compartment on the key sensor.
3) Pressed start on the car.

Result: The car won't start, keeps saying place the key over the armrest compartment on the key sensor.

Any ideas what may be happening or how to fix this?. A few other odd issues happened. All of a sudden the central locking went from open all door to only open driver side door without me changing anything.... very odd.

Just a note to say I fixed this issue now, I followed this kind of helped fix the issue.

This is what fixed it in case anyone else has issues.

1. Lock the car with the working keyfob, keep it away from the car, in the house or something, keep it well away :)
2. Ensure you are using a new battery with the second non-working keyfob, make sure the LED is flashing on the fob (I used cheap batteries I had, and the LED was very faint, changed them to more expensive batteries and thew LED glows much brighter.. worth spending a little more, don't get JCB batties from B&M store :)
3. Open the car door with the manual key inside the fob, turn the key to open the door.
4. Immediately place the dub keyfob in the centre console area where you charge your phone, where the key symbol is.
5. This is the step I was missing.... push and hold the clutch (for manual cars) or break (for auto cars)
6. Press the start button, a message on the dash is shown Remote Control Key: hold ket against the designated area
7. Press the start button again with the clutch held down.

The engine starts and the key fob is now re-synced and can be used to lock and unlock the car.

Notes: I had to perform steps 5, 6 and 7 twice before the fob started working fully.