Facelift 2017 S3 FL exhaust flap open mod.

A C Taylor

Reaction score
Hi guys,
How do I get my exhaust valves to be open all the time ? I tried to disconnect them on Sunday but if anything it was quieter (very little difference) what's the procedure for opening them up with disconnection ?.
I also have ODBELEVEN is it possible to code them open ?

Andrew

Try to do this using long coding in OBD11:

Reactions: AL_B
Make sure they are open before disabling in VCDS or pulling the plugs out or they will just remain closed all the time.

The only way I got mine to open before doing the procedure was to put the S-tronic into S mode and then switch the engine off.

Make sure they are open before disabling in VCDS or pulling the plugs out or they will just remain closed all the time.

The only way I got mine to open before doing the procedure was to put the S-tronic into S mode and then switch the engine off.

This^

Totally forgot to mention that :hi:

I’m planning to do this on Sunday and will follows the YouTube video to adjust the coding, however, Just to clarify.....

I should start the engine, put car into Dynamic mode (so the exhaust flaps open). Turn off the engine so the flaps are still open. Then plug in the cable with the ignition off and do the mod via VCDS?

I’m just a little unsure as to what stage I should plug in the cable and if the ignition should be on or off. Sorry for the potential stupid question!!!!!

Did this several times and would take code but didn't work and reverted back so unplugged them was when it was new so may work now with updates ect

Start car.

Put car into dynamic, but make sure car is in ‘S’ mode.

Then unplug.

I know how its done coded many mk7 golf r with 0 issues but think facelift or lack of update from ross tech was the issue

This worked for me:
2018 03 01 08 31 37

Hi, yes I have done these steps. The VCDS says updated and saved. But when I change the car back to comfort the flaps close again. So the changes are not saving....

What version of VCDS are you using, done it a couple of times on my FL with no issues.

Hi Lehn, do you have the facelift?

I have tried a few times via VCDS and the setting just doesn’t appear to save.

I may have to just go down the route of physically unplugging them!!

I sure have. I’m using OBDeleven so I’m automatically up to date. Hope updating your VCDS solves your problem mate.

Cheers guys. It’s my mates, I have just borrowed it. Looks like I’m stuffed them as don’t think he’ll be updating it. May have to just unplug them and buy the adapter things to stop the fault codes!

Cheers guys. It’s my mates, I have just borrowed it. Looks like I’m stuffed them as don’t think he’ll be updating it. May have to just unplug them and buy the adapter things to stop the fault codes!
Software is free to update for genuine cable / interface owners.

Hi, yes I have done these steps. The VCDS says updated and saved. But when I change the car back to comfort the flaps close again. So the changes are not saving....

Can you not just use the individual setting in drive select?
You could set everything to comfort but have the 'Engine Sound' as Dynamic.
Forgive me if im wrong but wont that achieve the same thing without coding or disconnecting the flaps altogether?

Can you not just use the individual setting in drive select?
You could set everything to comfort but have the 'Engine Sound' as Dynamic.
Forgive me if im wrong but wont that achieve the same thing without coding or disconnecting the flaps altogether?

Not exactly. Even in Dynamic the flaps are still closed sometimes. It's only during startup, idle, launch control and rpm above 3.000 the flaps are open in Dynamic.

Engine must be off when doing this mod and gearbox in P I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not exactly. Even in Dynamic the flaps are still closed sometimes. It's only during startup, idle, launch control and rpm above 3.000 the flaps are open in Dynamic.

ahhh.... I see! We'v only had the car a short while so I'm catching up with whats-what!
So it would be fair to say the majority of the sound heard in the cabin is from that soundbox under the dash then.

Last edited:

ahhh.... I see! We'v only had the car a short while so I'm catching up with whats-what!
So it would be fair to say the majority of the sound heard in the cabin is from that soundbox under the dash then.

There's only one way to find out and that's by disabling that piece of fake sh!t :whistle2:

I’m trying to slide a bcs res delete under the radar so might leave the removal of the sound box at the same time! Incase I get rumbled!

I’m trying to slide a bcs res delete under the radar so might leave the removal of the sound box at the same time! Incase I get rumbled!

LOL! I'm doing the exact same, just a little different. I coded out the exhaust flaps almost immediately so when I get the res delete I will code them to function as normal and the change won't be that obvious :busted cop:

Reactions: Paul_c
Are you going for a bcs pipe or just a straight thru?
Also is there much difference in noise (5-10-15% louder?) with the flaps permanently open?

Also is there much difference in noise (5-10-15% louder?) with the flaps permanently open?

I'm going for the BCS drone delete because of, yah, the drone delete/reduction :boxing:

The noise at part throttle between 2.000rpm and 3.000rpm is quite pronounced, like 25% louder and kind of boomy. Otherwise it's 10% louder and doesn't make a major difference other than amplifying the normal exhaust note and occasionally pops and bangs despite being below 3.000rpm where the flaps normally would be closed.

You may get an idea of it in the beginning and end of this video where I am acceleration up to around 3.000rpm - excuse my language...

Last edited:
At least on my PFL with a BCS pipe - flaps open at motorway speeds make it marginally louder than flaps closed.. however I've driven at 3k RPM with them closed (stock) and switched between dynamic and efficiency drive select and not noticed a difference, which is strange because at 3K RPM they should be opening in dynamic.

I'm still looking for a quick and easy way (cheap too!) to be able to open and close the flaps on demand from my phone. Day to day town driving I'm fine with them open, but for the motorway journeys it is that bit more comfortable with then closed.

I couldn't really give a % difference between with/without... before I got the BCS fitted though I had them perm open and it was deffo worth it for all driving styles.

I am not a fan of just disconnecting the cables. You can adjust there operation in ODIS. I have done this on mine. We moved them opening at 2800rpm (standard) to 3200rpm and it made a huge difference with the REMUS system

The flaps are also used to control engine warm up. On a cold start you can sometimes see it will only open one side. Not all the time, just in certain circumstances.

Reactions: AL_B and gringosteve
Hello please could someone help me. I tried to open the exhaust flap on my FL S3 but VCDS would not allow. Please see attached.
Would anyone know why?
Thanks
Amit

Attachments

• A025BFA8-32EA-4F67-840E-6EDA55D8C42F.jpeg
    A025BFA8-32EA-4F67-840E-6EDA55D8C42F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 79