2017 S5 - Brake pads need replacing at 32k miles?

Chimp

Reaction score
My car was just in for it's 2nd oil service and I asked for the inspection service and pollen filter (years old now) to be carried out at the same time so I don't need to go back so often.

I was very surprised that they advised that the rear brake pads were 70% worn and the disk's need replacing, the fronts pads are 60% worn and no disks needed.

Puzzled that the rears have worn before the fronts especially that the disks need replacing also. I have thought that I could hear a slight rubbing of brakes when driving down a road with walls either side but just put it down to the fact I had used the brakes to slow down to drive down the road as it has speed bumps.

Does this seem right? Rears wearing before fronts, so soon? If it was fronts and I had been diving on the them hard all the time then yes I could accept that.... my s3 needed fronts after 38k previously.

My car was just in for it's 2nd oil service and I asked for the inspection service and pollen filter (years old now) to be carried out at the same time so I don't need to go back so often.

I was very surprised that they advised that the rear brake pads were 70% worn and the disk's need replacing, the fronts pads are 60% worn and no disks needed.

Puzzled that the rears have worn before the fronts especially that the disks need replacing also. I have thought that I could hear a slight rubbing of brakes when driving down a road with walls either side but just put it down to the fact I had used the brakes to slow down to drive down the road as it has speed bumps.

Does this seem right? Rears wearing before fronts, so soon? If it was fronts and I had been diving on the them hard all the time then yes I could accept that.... my s3 needed fronts after 38k previously.

My pads (front & rear) needed replacing after 15k miles as the dash wear indicator lit up. I'm surprised your light did not as there is wear indicators front and rear which warn you well before any disc scoring can occur.

I purchased ‘Red Stuff’ pads online (front & rear) and got a local garage to fit them for me and therefore saved loads on supply & fit especially with any Audi dealer.

BTW, you will need to change both front & rear brake wear sensors as well which you can also purchase online saving about £60-70.

Reactions: Chimp
2016 b8.5 here, but I have found my rear tyres wear faster than my front, had to change them at 17k and my fronts lasted another 5k before 3mm left and needing a change, not even on 30k yet but since day one I have always been able to hear the pads in contact with the disks when idleing around in car parks or in good acoustics at low speed like you describe.
Seems allot of S5 owners report the same thing and some unfortunates have squeeky brakes when at low speed and not braking.

seems odd they sound like they bind but more odd that it is almost considered normal for this model.
Let us know if the bindy noise goes away after they are replaced as I am curious! :)

Was about to say, I have the symptoms above, low speed braking sounds like the pads are worn. Only on 7.5k miles. Kinds of "glad" to hear this appears to be normal

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk