2018 ttrs blown up engine

Sticks

Reaction score
Hi guys been a while , I got my hands on a new ttrs had it about a year now , other day not at high speed I got the message engine drivetrain failure , what followed was a very lumpy no power feel , luckily I wasn’t far so got home , audi engineer came out next day and said camshaft sensor had failed and added on note not to start engine , it’s been in the garage now for over a week , got an update today that some cog had a lump out of it and has disintegrated in the engine and one of the pistons is seized ... sorry I ain’t the most technical when it comes to engines but because the 2nd cog didn’t engage it took a massive chunk of it off into the engine , currently it’s in bits and I’m getting an Audi cam tomorrow sent to me , personally I’d want a new engine or am I being ott ? My heart actually sunk as audi explained today the problems , I didn’t get it new it was a demo car and I had it before it was released , not 4 months ago it had a whole new sports exhaust system as baffles were stuck in factory one , I know I’ve had issues with my 1st gen rs3 which I still own but never as extreme as this , what u recon ?? Lovely car when it worked !!

Unusual as the 2.5 is normally bullet proof?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've been extremely unlucky. As terminator says, very rare for these engines to let go. Clearly that part hasn't worked to it usual tolerances. Lucky you're not modded. Audi would have used it as an excuse to fob you off.

This is always my worry with modding. I don't believe any sensible tuner or mods should cause an engine to blow, but Audi would surely claim that to be the case.

Thanks guys , well audi sent me an audi cam today looks horrendous !! How can I show u guys

And yer thank god it wasn’t modded !!

Video works...
I'd say: new engine.... you(and they) can't really know whats been damaged besides whats shown in the video..
As you are still under warrenty, they will have to replace it at their cost.. But surely they will try and make you pay for most of the part(engine and/or labour) but stay firm, and mention legal actions if they persist...

Thanks guys , well audi sent me an audi cam today looks horrendous !! How can I show u guys

Did you post the video somewhere? I cant see it on this thread.

Should just be able to post the link on here.

I think he has removed the vid, probably wise.

TX.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Hi guys , I had the vid removed as it contained a lot of personal info and links to audi , somone had already pressed the “ go ahead with works “
tab which audi receives ,

The car is standard the video shows heavy damage to no 2 cam shaft, pieces of a rocker shredded and missing the bearing and needles all ending up in the oil sump from no 2 , another rocker that was in bits and a rocker that is about to fall off , one engine piston 2 is seized also,

It’s a heart breaking vid

Have they confirmed the cause of this yet?

No still nothing back from audi , I’m gonna call them tomorrow for an update as been a few week now , first I was told it was the cam shaft sensor what failed in the first place so maybe it caused all the damage too

Update , spoke to audi new engine is being fitting when arrives next week sometime , do you think audi should extend my warranty because of this ? Warranty expires in about 18 months , since owning it’s had a whole new exhaust and now a new engine , just feel abit unsure now about the car on a whole ,I’ve owned a rs3 since 2012 which hasn’t had anything near this drastic wrong with it .. let me know

Update , spoke to audi new engine is being fitting when arrives next week sometime , do you think audi should extend my warranty because of this ? Warranty expires in about 18 months , since owning it’s had a whole new exhaust and now a new engine , just feel abit unsure now about the car on a whole ,I’ve owned a rs3 since 2012 which hasn’t had anything near this drastic wrong with it .. let me know

That’s a great turnaround if they can get an engine in it next week, will they take care of the changing of engine numbers on the V5 etc?

You can always ask for an extended warranty, see if they are willing after all of the grief.. a new engine isn’t to be passed off but back to running it in again ;)

Audi nutta what’s the score with the v5 side of things was thinking that myself ? And will it have the dash mileage changed tbh never had a replacement engine ever not even on my old crap heaps I’ve had back in the day some I’ve still got with same engines and exhausts even .i don’t want to get mixed up with the dvla doing it all I hope

I do think it seems abit to good to be true with timespans , it’s been over 3 weeks to get this far hahahaha so I ain’t holding my breath about a new engine in my car for next week ,

It’s great I’m getting a new engine but thing is the old one gave up so it’s not like I’m getting a bonus also same with exhaust system yer it’s new aswell but the originals shouldn’t have broke , it’s just been grief no car for long periods and trips back and forth to audi with faults etc not including service trips to them too loads of calls , audi Europe actually told my local audi dealer would not send a replacement sports exhaust system even though audi said it’s faulty and internal baffles are stuck and some issue with the box for 18 months or sooner if they have to make 4 others for customers so I had to personally battle audi uk on actually getting my exhaust fixed and working how it should for the money it cost !!

, I just can’t belive how much major stuff has gone wrong it’s tainted it for me and I think I’m always gonna be worrying and lacking confidence that’s something’s going to break sort of taking the fun and experience out of it for me ..only needs a new gear box now hahahahaha

They won't reset mileage imho as all the other parts have the wear and tear associated with it. Does the V5 show the engine nr? If so them someone has to sort it with the Dvla otherwise it may cause problems further down the line when selling.

TX.

Audi nutta what’s the score with the v5 side of things was thinking that myself ? And will it have the dash mileage changed tbh never had a replacement engine ever not even on my old **** heaps I’ve had back in the day some I’ve still got with same engines and exhausts even .i don’t want to get mixed up with the dvla doing it all I hope

I do think it seems abit to good to be true with timespans , it’s been over 3 weeks to get this far hahahaha so I ain’t holding my breath about a new engine in my car for next week ,

It’s great I’m getting a new engine but thing is the old one gave up so it’s not like I’m getting a bonus also same with exhaust system yer it’s new aswell but the originals shouldn’t have broke , it’s just been grief no car for long periods and trips back and forth to audi with faults etc not including service trips to them too loads of calls , audi Europe actually told my local audi dealer would not send a replacement sports exhaust system even though audi said it’s faulty and internal baffles are stuck and some issue with the box for 18 months or sooner if they have to make 4 others for customers so I had to personally battle audi uk on actually getting my exhaust fixed and working how it should for the money it cost !!

, I just can’t belive how much major stuff has gone wrong it’s tainted it for me and I think I’m always gonna be worrying and lacking confidence that’s something’s going to break sort of taking the fun and experience out of it for me ..only needs a new gear box now hahahahaha

As the others have beaten me to it, yes your engine number is on your V5 so don’t forget this will need to be changed. See if you can get Audi to do the admin for this, it isn’t your problem.

The mileage will stay the same, but it will be recorded at what mileage the engine was changed so you know how many miles the block has done separate from the car.

Try not to be put off, you will be relieved when the car comes back and a fresh engine is a fresh start.. enjoy it for all the reasons you bought it for.

Keeping an eye on this thread for the updates :)

Reactions: NevMan
Great that you’ve got a replacement engine. My only concern would be if you were to sell it on you could be left out of pocket. Some may see a new engine as a positive but others may not want to touch a car that has had such serious issues. Fingers crossed no more issues.

Great that you’ve got a replacement engine. My only concern would be if you were to sell it on you could be left out of pocket. Some may see a new engine as a positive but others may not want to touch a car that has had such serious issues. Fingers crossed no more issues.

Maybe in the cheap used car market a 90k engine change for a refurb unit might be a little offputting, but a genuine Audi replacement isn’t anything to worry about I don’t think. The engine was the problem and it’s gone. Providing all of the evidence is in order that it was a new engine installed by Audi, I’d be happy.

Maybe in the cheap used car market a 90k engine change for a refurb unit might be a little offputting, but a genuine Audi replacement isn’t anything to worry about I don’t think. The engine was the problem and it’s gone. Providing all of the evidence is in order that it was a new engine installed by Audi, I’d be happy.

I guess my concern would be is the car a potential Friday afternoon lemon but then others would see it as a positive.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Can only see it as a positive. If your car was a demo then who knows how it was treated by test pilots and sales reps before you bought it.

You can ask about extending the warranty but I think 18 months to go is still long enough for any more issues to arise.

Just wondering if everything got sorted with your car and running ok with the new engine now?