2019 Maps...

Ah, I didn't get that far as couldn't be bothered as I always use the desktop method. Did he actually do this though as it must take hours with 18gb looking at the download speed in the video, there can't be a restriction on the data amount with the inbuilt Sim then?

Ah, I didn't get that far as couldn't be bothered as I always use the desktop method. Must take ages though with 18gb looking at the download speed, there can't be a restriction on the data amount with the inbuilt Sim then?

No data restriction on the eSIM. Good thing about the in-car update is that it just works in the background so you can ask it to do and then forget about it. Whenever it finishes it'll tell you its complete. You don't need to keep the car on or anything. it just picks up from where it stopped last time until its done.

Reactions: cuke2u
No data restriction on the eSIM. Good thing about the in-car update is that it just works in the background so you can ask it to do and then forget about it. Whenever it finishes it'll tell you its complete. You don't need to keep the car on or anything. it just picks up from where it stopped last time until its done.
That's neat, I though there was, the SD card method up updating also allows the car to be stopped and started again. Only it takes about 10-15 mins to update that way....

I updated my maps yesterday through MMI Connect. I set it going before setting off for work and it took about 45 mins to do Europe.

I haven’t been prompted to update my maps yet.
As the car is a 9 month old S4 will I need to wait until it’s 12 months old or should I force the update now?

If you wish, go for it. You can only perform this to a maximum of five times though..

I believe it is linked to your VIN number or registered to the car's MMI..

I believe it is linked to your VIN number or registered to the car's MMI..

Don't they release updates during the year as well? So if you updated the maps say 3 times during 2018, is that 3 of your 5 taken permanently for your vehicle?

Twice a year, often as not cars are built with previous maps, thus to bring it up to date you would use one of the five allocations. But you could in theory only update once year....

Twice a year, often as not cars are built with previous maps, thus to bring it up to date you would use one of the five allocations. But you could in theory only update once year....

Ah - think I’ve probably used 4/5 by now then, oops! Is there anywhere I can check the counter?

Also does having the tech pack make a difference?

Similar issue - 3 updates after a year of ownership. Assuming they are counting I plan to skip the mid year updates this year and the next.

Never updated the maps on my last car so having three year's worth is a bit of a bonus

Reactions: pierreluigi88
Ah - think I’ve probably used 4/5 by now then, oops! Is there anywhere I can check the counter?

Also does having the tech pack make a difference?
I don't think there is a counter unfortunately. Yes having the tech pack means you can update the maps as those with SD based nav need to purchase a new, more recent, legitimate card then have it activated...

Reactions: NevMan and pierreluigi88
Sorry to open an old post.

I haven't updated my maps for 2 years (completely forgot about it and haven't really needed it)
Today I logged into my Audi and it said .Your maps are up to date this is wrong. the car will be 6 years old in September have the free updates finished?

Can I purchase an update SD card on line or is it a visit to Audi?

Sorry to open an old post.

I haven't updated my maps for 2 years (completely forgot about it and haven't really needed it)
Today I logged into my Audi and it said .Your maps are up to date this is wrong. the car will be 6 years old in September have the free updates finished?

Can I purchase an update SD card on line or is it a visit to Audi?
The five free map updates are use it or lose it and expire three years from the date of manufacture.

I had the update maps come up but just cancelled it, does that count as an update? Also anyone know what the cost would be once you have used the free updates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not wise to purchased maps for sd based sat nav from fleabay...

My sat nav is the high version. I use to be able to the updates on line but that option is not available now.

I’ve tried to google a supplier but all I can find is the SD version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article linked to suggested purchasing updates maps for sd based sat nav, nothing in there for us hd based sat nav. I believe you can only purchase these from Audi, then the update becomes locked to the vehicle so the card cannot be used again...

Reactions: Phil-1
Thanks. Managed to get My.Audi.com working last night but the only map updates are 2016. have updated them at I had 2015 before but there must be a new version

There is but your vehicle is out of the free update period of three years. Thus to get any new ones you'll have to pay...

My A4 is the first car I've had with a built in satnav, funnily enough though I usually find myself using Waze via Android Auto it seem "cleverer" at dealing with live traffic.

The live traffic on the satnav display doesn't seem to have the same level of detail which google maps gives - i.e. less coverage of minor roads.

I have always assumed this is a limitation based on what Audi have 'bought' rather than something related to the car. Still far better the radio based 'TMS' system on my B8's navigation system

There is but your vehicle is out of the free update period of three years. Thus to get any new ones you'll have to pay...

That explains it. If you buy an update from Audi is it just an SD upgrade?

I’m only asking as I have some Mods and when the MMI firmware was updated under warranty it wiped them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019/2020 maps appear to be available in the myaudi website, unfortunately I can't download them as I've used up my free quota :-(

Reactions: MattS82
Has anyone purchased the upgrade previously once their free quota has been used? If a standalone UK 2019 update became available I might be tempted if the price stayed at 119 Euros like the 2018 UK update (although it is hardly a bargain...)

So the 5 free updates/online updates, is that only for people with tech pack/HDD? And not for me with non-tech and SD bases sat nav, as that's pretty annoying if so.

Are the map updates only specific to your car or can anyone install them. For example if I download an update and send it over to you, will you be able to install it? Is there any protection based on myAudi login or VIN number? If there isn't any protection then maybe we can somehow share the updates?

As far as I understand the whole update system is locked to the car, so no I would not be able to install any later maps than the ones already installed. I think only a dealership could do this, or maybe someone such as DJAlix with the official equipment, however not totally sure how this is done...

Just updated the full set of maps using USB for the first time;

Downloading took 3 hours on our modest broadband connection (actually it took twice as long as it crashed when the download was almost complete)
Despite claiming to be 13.9GB in size, a 32GB USB drive was needed as the physical space needed was just over 16GB
It took just under half an hour to carry out the update in the car
Unfortunately the one error near me that I know about hasn't been corrected (a new road has been built so it thinks we are driving across a field)

Looking at the OP it looks like the 2020 maps are due soon?

My 16 plate car with Tech pack maps has run out of free updates. My local dealer tells me it’s £220 a time and a visit to the dealer to get the maps updated. Android Auto for me in future.

2020 are out now, I am in the same boat as you sotondjt but I'll continue to use the built in sat nav as it will suffice...