Q5 2019 Q5 Dashcam Install (Blackview)

newbieboyy

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently took delivery of my new Q5, and I am looking to install a Blackview 750 S Front and rear camera in it.

I have bene looking at getting it installed and doing a DIY approach and from the Blackview videos its looks fairly simple.

Has anyone installed the camera + hardwire or battery pro kit into a Q5 at all?

Was it difficult?

I have just had mine done . It is a similar set up see my signature. There is a lot of work involved, such as pulling off and refitting the following (assume down passenger side):
The A pillar cover. You have to be careful because the wire HAS to go behind the airbag (safety). Can be difficult to get the pillar to clip back on
Locate the fuse box on passenger side and locate permanent live - best solution for parking.
For rear camera, you need to feed wire above top of front passenger and rear passenger headlining (BEHIND airbags). Then to exit at rear of headlining at boot and go through the rubber hose trunking with other electrical cables.
On the boot lid, you will need to remove the rear plastic panel (exposes wiper) and feed the wiring through this area to locate rear camera on the rear glass or the hard plastic surround. Removing and fitting this panel is extremely difficult. The clips are a B******d).
In the end, I employed an Auto electrician and it took him 2 hours to do the JOB PROPERLY.

In my view it is best to get it done professionally (new car) because the rear boot lid panel is a problem and also you MUST feed the wiring BEHIND the airbags inside the car very carefully.
Best of luck.

I believe you can get a PMP EZ that plugs into the odb port. Only have to run the cable under the windscreen seal then. However don't know if it's available in the uk yet https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-ez/
But does not send power to rear dashcam nor does it have the ability (have a cable) to send the rear camera signals back to the memory card on the front camera.
The OP has..
Blackview 750 S Front and rear camera

I had the Blackvue 750 s front & rear camera fitted to my 2018 Q5 professionally. I wouldn’t even think about fitting it myself! It took the auto electrician about 2 hours and he did an excellent job. I had the power magic pro fitted also. Only thing I would advise is to use a larger micro Sc card than the 16gig one supplied, I bought a 64gig card.

I had the Blackvue 750 s front & rear camera fitted to my 2018 Q5 professionally. I wouldn’t even think about fitting it myself! It took the auto electrician about 2 hours and he did an excellent job. I had the power magic pro fitted also. Only thing I would advise is to use a larger micro Sc card than the 16gig one supplied, I bought a 64gig card.

Ah that’s what I have been looking at the magic pro.

I can get the OBD port system as we (if suitable) as you can get from amazon.com and ship to the UK for about £35 ish.

Some useful Information for consideration.

Can I ask which card you used and has it got the throughput rating so it doesn't get too hot?

Ah that’s what I have been looking at the magic pro.

I can get the OBD port system as we (if suitable) as you can get from amazon.com and ship to the UK for about £35 ish.

Some useful Information for consideration.
Sounds good, the only issue, if you can call it that, is with the PMP set to 12v, and, as I only doing short journey's, it is switching the 750 off quite often and to get the PMP to turn on again it needs a voltage above 14.2...

Can I ask which card you used and has it got the throughput rating so it doesn't get too hot?
I bought the Delkin 64gig micro Sd card from the Blackvue web site. So far I’ve had no issues with it.

Reactions: cuke2u
Ok thanks, as it's from the blackvue site I'd assume it can stream video. I have also been looking for a larger card as well so useful to know other owners experiences...

My dash cam setup allows me to instal a MicroSD card up to at least 256gb. Eventually I found a photographic outlet on line and purchased a Delkin V30 128gb card. Great savings over the normal places.

Interesting on the SD card route, I purchased a couple that failed to work (then one seemingly got chucked so I can’t return!

Did end up getting my professionally installed by Aston Installations in Tewkesbury in the end. I also used the Power Magic EZ OBD port which seems to be working alright so far but only time will tell. No cables cut or anything and very nicely fitted!

Bit of an update on my Blackvue dr750. It stopped working a couple of weeks ago, completely dead. The company I bought it from sent me a cigar lighter lead to try it with. I plugged this in but it was still dead. They asked me to return both cameras to them. They phoned me to say the cameras were working correctly. They advised I re format my 64gig micro Sd card and re fit and test. I tried to format my card but neither my windows laptop or iMac desktop would show it as an external drive. I refitted the 16gig card that came with the camera and the camera started working again!!
The moral of the story is check your card if your dashcam stops working.