2019 RS3 Sportsback aftermarket exhaust

dmb

Reaction score
Hey All

December 2020 I picked up my 2019 RS3 Sportsback, after picking it up I noticed that I was getting a temperature sensor error. Recently I found time to get it on a lift and it seems like both sensors are just zip tied back on the car due to an aftermarket exhaust from the previous owner.

I'm trying to hunt down an OEM exhaust that'll have fittings for these sensors.
Seems like 8V0253611B is the way to go but I'm unsure.

Can anyone confirm where these temperature sensor fittings are?

Thanks!

I can provide a video from the recent Audi service where they pointed out how the sensors were tied back.

I would check to see if any mapping has been accomodated for the sensors not fitted properly so to speak.

It really does make me question peoples logic at times, its a powerful expensive nice car, so they cable tie quite important sensors, why would someone be so cowboyish in that respect.

I like the fact you're tidying this up, respect where its due.

Reactions: Jcbmally
I would check to see if any mapping has been accomodated for the sensors not fitted properly so to speak.

It really does make me question peoples logic at times, its a powerful expensive nice car, so they cable tie quite important sensors, why would someone be so cowboyish in that respect.

I like the fact you're tidying this up, respect where its due.
Hey,

Yeah it was pretty annoying to see. And unfortunately- even though I was not made aware of the extent of work- the Audi garage won't pay to swap out the exhaust with the stock one.

Unfortunately I don't think any extra tuning work has been done, what would be the best method to check for any tweaks?

Oh, an audi garage sold you the car & they find this issue but wont foot the bill, thats very underhanded tbh & I would seriously take it up with there head of sales if this is the case.

If any mapping has been completed, it would probably flag the odis etc system for modified ecu code, ask them to check.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Oh, an audi garage sold you the car & they find this issue but wont foot the bill, thats very underhanded tbh & I would seriously take it up with there head of sales if this is the case.

If any mapping has been completed, it would probably flag the odis etc system for modified ecu code, ask them to check.
Yeah already spoke to the head of sales about it when I took it in the other week.

Unfortunately because I knew there was an aftermarket exhaust they won’t cover it. But the salesman did not tell me about the error codes (which were cleared before I picked up the vehicle).

He no longer works at the dealership so that’s good I suppose.

I’m just looking at getting it sorted while I have ownership, then if I sell it the issue will be sorted for the next owner.

While looking for an OEM exhaust I’m also reaching out to aftermarket brands to see what solutions they offer.

A sad state of affairs really, someone else picking up the tab for meddling by a previous owner.

I’d be insisting the Audi dealer check the car over thoroughly for signs of a remap.
Get them to connect it up to ODIS for a suspicion check.
If it’s just the exhaust then it needs returning to the factory exhaust by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sad state of affairs really, someone else picking up the tab for meddling by a previous owner.

I’d be insisting the Audi dealer check the car over thoroughly for signs of a remap.
Get them to connect it up to ODIS for a suspicion check.
If it’s just the exhaust then it needs returning to the factory exhaust by them.

I’ll reach out to Audi and see what they say about setting up sometime for ODIS scan

Stafford Audi are not responding so I’ve resorted to try and source parts myself.

I’ve managed to secure a second hand catback system. Now I’m just after the section of the exhaust with the OPFs.

Does anyone know what the part number is?

I've reached out to Audi traditional and I managed to get a photo of the part I'm after however they say the part does not have a part number
Opf

If anyone who has a 2019+ RS3 Sportsback has gone for an aftermarket exhaust but still has this part lying around I'd gladly buy it off them.

I've reached out to Audi traditional and I managed to get a photo of the part I'm after however they say the part does not have a part number
View attachment 249030

If anyone who has a 2019+ RS3 Sportsback has gone for an aftermarket exhaust but still has this part lying around I'd gladly buy it off them.
What's the setup on the car currently? does it have an aftermarket downpipe without the cat and gpf filters?

What's the setup on the car currently? does it have an aftermarket downpipe without the cat and gpf filters?

Yep. Unfortunately the previous owner just has the sensors zip tied to the chassis.

I’ve tried getting Audi to help with replacing back to stock but they’re not playing ball.

Yep. Unfortunately the previous owner just has the sensors zip tied to the chassis.

I’ve tried getting Audi to help with replacing back to stock but they’re not playing ball.

Poor showing for Audi yet again but I am not surprised.
So in essence you need the standard downpipe with gpf's, and then figure 16 is 4 temp sensors, figure 10 is the pressure sensors which there is 2
Which sensors are tied up do you know?

Poor showing for Audi yet again but I am not surprised.
So in essence you need the standard downpipe with gpf's, and then figure 16 is 4 temp sensors, figure 10 is the pressure sensors which there is 2
Which sensors are tied up do you know?
Not 100% sure.

But I believe if I can get a replacement OEM part (seen above) then I can get it replaced elsewhere other than Audi.

I reached out to Audi Traditional and they quoted me an insane number for a brand new part. Hoping I can find one second hand and pay (still a decent amount) for that.

Edit: I do get temperature sensor warnings on the dash which I clear down, so it could be those. I have a video of the service which I can share if you're willing to help out

I believe these part numbers to be correct.
The downpipe with cat and opf is 8S0253005
The Pressure sensors are 8S0253005D

If it was anything like my car when my original downpipe was removed the pressure sensors came off with the downpipe but the temp sensors were secured out of the way behind the under trays.

One thing to note is you most likely have the standard ECU software to be getting the errors on the dash, you may still find you get errors like a regeneration error even with the standard parts in place as without the correct software alterations it retains a hard code that could not just be reset with tools.

Whichever way you go with this it will cost a fair bit to put right and depending on how long you have had the car you could push for rejection legally I would have thought as the car will have no warranty and certainly could not be sold under there approved used program sometimes you just have to go over the dealers heads and speak to audi UK.

Reactions: dmb
I believe these part numbers to be correct.
The downpipe with cat and opf is 8S0253005
The Pressure sensors are 8S0253005D

If it was anything like my car when my original downpipe was removed the pressure sensors came off with the downpipe but the temp sensors were secured out of the way behind the under trays.

One thing to note is you most likely have the standard ECU software to be getting the errors on the dash, you may still find you get errors like a regeneration error even with the standard parts in place as without the correct software alterations it retains a hard code that could not just be reset with tools.

Whichever way you go with this it will cost a fair bit to put right and depending on how long you have had the car you could push for rejection legally I would have thought as the car will have no warranty and certainly could not be sold under there approved used program sometimes you just have to go over the dealers heads and speak to audi UK.

Thanks for the information mate.

Yeah it was sold under the approved program which seems wild now you point it out.

I have recently emailed Audi UK and I’m waiting for a response. I do have it’s first MOT in September so really trying to get it sorted before then.

I’ll take a look at the part numbers, but I doubt anyone is selling any second hand right now unfortunately.

Let me know if you find any. A finders fee if I buy it.

Cheers

It will fail the MOT in its current state, and depending on what you have told your insurer your insurance may be technically invalid so trad carefully there.

The only places you may find the parts reasonably priced currently is breakers yards, tuning company’s like awesome gti, MRC, infinit performance to name a few as they may have customers that have dumped them after changing the parts so worth a try. Also worth giving automotive addiction a call as they may have some spares with the amount of RS3 they sell especially modded ones.

But absolutely push Audi uk to reject it. Far better cars out there if you want a standard example.

It will fail the MOT in its current state, and depending on what you have told your insurer your insurance may be technically invalid so trad carefully there.

The only places you may find the parts reasonably priced currently is breakers yards, tuning company’s like awesome gti, MRC, infinit performance to name a few as they may have customers that have dumped them after changing the parts so worth a try. Also worth giving automotive addiction a call as they may have some spares with the amount of RS3 they sell especially modded ones.

But absolutely push Audi uk to reject it. Far better cars out there if you want a standard example.

I phone Audi UK and had a chat with them. They cannot do anything in terms of making the specific dealership change their stance.

Since I knew there was an aftermarket exhaust when I purchased the car Audi Stafford are claiming I knew it would fail MOT and continue having issues. It's worth noting that the error codes were cleared 228 miles before I purchased the vehicle.

Due to this I think I'm going to go ahead and foot the bill for getting it resolved myself. It's looking like it'll be over £5k+ worth of work.

It's a real shame. I enjoy the car but the closest dealer to me is not supportive nor caring about their customers.

I phone Audi UK and had a chat with them. They cannot do anything in terms of making the specific dealership change their stance.

Since I knew there was an aftermarket exhaust when I purchased the car Audi Stafford are claiming I knew it would fail MOT and continue having issues. It's worth noting that the error codes were cleared 228 miles before I purchased the vehicle.

Due to this I think I'm going to go ahead and foot the bill for getting it resolved myself. It's looking like it'll be over £5k+ worth of work.

It's a real shame. I enjoy the car but the closest dealer to me is not supportive nor caring about their customers.
That's really really bad.

Hold out for a used part don't buy new I would expect you to be clear of this for 2k not 5.

That's really really bad.

Hold out for a used part don't buy new I would expect you to be clear of this for 2k not 5.
Yeah I've bought the catback exhaust system for around £300-400.

I'll reach out to the companies you mentioned previously to see if they have any downpipes for sale with OPF.
If not buying new is not cheap as discussed.

Edit: Eventually when vendors are able to provide OPF compatible exhausts then I'll be looking to go aftermarket

Last edited:
I am amazed that an Approved Audi Dealer would sell a 2019 car which is modified. The approved used scheme involves a thorough check of the car. They must have pointed this out to you - you hint they did - but perhaps you did not realise to what extent this problem might cause.

I would argue, that you are not mechanically minded enough to fully understand the extent of the modifications and what this might mean for your full enjoyment of the vehicle. I would also suggest that you did not fully understand the financial impact of repairing the vehicle.

I would argue that Audi should not be selling cars without OPF. This is a legal requirement for these cars from 2019.

Furthermore, Audi themselves should have taken this on and had the vehicle repaired as the approved used scheme comes with an MOT guarantee which covers failures.

The emissions equipment fitted to the car are part of this cover. They have provided you with a vehicle with this warranty which already has non manufacturer approved parts fitted which puts you in breach of contract vicariously. I would question this contract.... to say the least.

I would be writing a very factual letter to the Company Secretary or MD of Audi UK and making a formal request for the vehicle to be put back to standard with Audi parts. I would also request that the Electronic Control Units associated with the engine and exhaust systems are thoroughly checked and confirmed to be factory specification. If not, reverted to factory specification or replaced.

Unless they can provide a contract showing that you fully understood the condition of the vehicle, and that in its current condition it would not be legal to drive the vehicle, on a road, then they should be sorting this out.

The relevant regulations are the C&U regs, section 61 and 61A.

Also - do you have finance on the vehicle?

Lastly, I am shocked this is Stafford Audi. I have had dealings with them and they have been very good.

Also can you confirm you bought this vehicle as a normal member of the public or did you buy it as a trader?

I am amazed that an Approved Audi Dealer would sell a 2019 car which is modified. The approved used scheme involves a thorough check of the car. They must have pointed this out to you - you hint they did - but perhaps you did not realise to what extent this problem might cause.

I would argue, that you are not mechanically minded enough to fully understand the extent of the modifications and what this might mean for your full enjoyment of the vehicle. I would also suggest that you did not fully understand the financial impact of repairing the vehicle.

I would argue that Audi should not be selling cars without OPF. This is a legal requirement for these cars from 2019.

Furthermore, Audi themselves should have taken this on and had the vehicle repaired as the approved used scheme comes with an MOT guarantee which covers failures.

The emissions equipment fitted to the car are part of this cover. They have provided you with a vehicle with this warranty which already has non manufacturer approved parts fitted which puts you in breach of contract vicariously. I would question this contract.... to say the least.

I would be writing a very factual letter to the Company Secretary or MD of Audi UK and making a formal request for the vehicle to be put back to standard with Audi parts. I would also request that the Electronic Control Units associated with the engine and exhaust systems are thoroughly checked and confirmed to be factory specification. If not, reverted to factory specification or replaced.

Unless they can provide a contract showing that you fully understood the condition of the vehicle, and that in its current condition it would not be legal to drive the vehicle, on a road, then they should be sorting this out.

The relevant regulations are the C&U regs, section 61 and 61A.

Also - do you have finance on the vehicle?

Lastly, I am shocked this is Stafford Audi. I have had dealings with them and they have been very good.
Hey Manc

Yeah they told me there was an aftermarket exhaust via Audi Approved but initially didn't tell me that it was having check engine lights (perhaps they never saw it- it was cleared 228 miles before I collected the car).

Since then we've had a couple checkups and services they pointed out that the sensors were unplugged but offered no solution at the time. The latest service in Dec 2021 the service technician said it'd fail MOT. I called Stafford Audi on the day of receiving the Audi-cam and they said they wouldn't help set the exhaust back to stock.

I'm currently not even going to attempt to fight the contract. The car is great, except for the error codes, the main issue is the branch won't budge and that's so very stressful.

Generally my experience at Stafford Audi (SA) has been pretty poor. They've been ignoring my communications for months on end unless they wanted me to buy something. I've even got Audi UK involved three times now.

Currently the vehicle is financed and I plan on paying it off in 2024, but after that I won't be dealing with SA anymore. I'll end up going elsewhere.

---

General update on the situation:

I called Audi UK (AU) yesterday, they called SA, and AU came back with "we can't change the stance of the local branch". Sooo... I've ended up buying the catback system and currently closing a deal on downpipe with sensors.

Basically I'm just dealing with it and hoping all will be well afterwards. When vendors come out with OPF compatible exhausts then I'll upgrade again.

---

Cheers

@manc_s3 You say you've dealt with SA previously, does that mean you live in the area? I'm trying to hunt down the owner of a white RS3 sports back.

No sorry I am not local but I have bought cars from them.

I think you are being very reasonable by sorting this out yourself!

Personally, from what you have typed I don't think you fully understood the condition of the car at the time you bought it. I also think it was very questionable for a main dealer to sell you this vehicle. It was not legal the day you drove it out of the dealership. I think that's come to light down the line and given the car is less than 3 years old I would be putting it back to Audi but if you want to sort it yourself then that's your decision.

No sorry I am not local but I have bought cars from them.

I think you are being very reasonable by sorting this out yourself!

Personally, from what you have typed I don't think you fully understood the condition of the car at the time you bought it. I also think it was very questionable for a main dealer to sell you this vehicle. It was not legal the day you drove it out of the dealership. I think that's come to light down the line and given the car is less than 3 years old I would be putting it back to Audi but if you want to sort it yourself then that's your decision.
Thanks for the kind words.

Exactly that. I bought it within 28th-31st Dec 2020 so I think the guy wanted to get his commission in. The guy who sold me the car also no longer works there and seemed to of left early/mid 2021.

It's been stressful tracking down second hand parts, but I've found a local garage who are willing to take on the work once I've sourced everything so I don't have to give Audi any money to repair it.

I'll post an update here once everything is sorted (in the coming weeks, probably end of February).

Exhaust and car has been dropped off at a garage (not Audi) today to get the previous exhaust taken off and reverted back to stock.

I’m hoping it all goes well

Update after day 1 at the garage:

The aftermarket exhaust is in even worse condition than I thought originally.
  • The temperature sensors are actually welded to the chassis (as well as zip tied)
  • The downpipe's internals have been smashed out
  • The downpipe has a fabricated mount holding it up
  • And there's a res delete
When attempting to swap in the new OEM downpipe and catback it seems like we're missing the mounting bracket for the downpipe.

I am now looking to source this part.

If anyone has one available then I'd be looking to buy it and pay for shipping.

If anyone has one available then I'd be looking to buy it and pay for shipping.
Part found. Shipping into the UK from America.

Temporary solution is to do some custom fab mounts to hold everything in place.

Update after day 2 at the garage:

I've collected the car with now a fitted:
* OEM downpipe with OPF and temp sensors
* OEM sports catback

For now we've done a fabricated mount until the one from US turns up.

Car sounds way quieter but drives way better. I'm pleased with the results.

Glad your getting it resolved, hopefully at minimal cost.