2019 S3 Exhaust Note Change

Geekydrewbie

Reaction score
I have just switched my 2015 S3 for a 2019 S3 and I notice that the exhaust no longer pops and crackles. I also have noticed the exhausts don't get black anymore (not necessarily a bad thing :)). Does anyone know if Audi have removed this or if there is something wrong? Used to bring a smile to my face hearing those noises, so its a shame if its been removed.
I assume based on the emissions reduction as the car is only 300PS, not the previous FL 310. Cheers :)

Reactions: tuningman73
Ah has that been added to the new model then?

Yep, that why it's only 300hp and not 310hp. Something that reduces the power by 10hp will also do something about the sound especially when it's placed on the exhaust side....

Seriously I'm just glad that I'm a young bloke now and not in 40 years, Jesus it'll all be electric then and a big part of what makes me smile when I drive my S3 is the exhaust note and pops and bangs.

Reactions: Terminator x
Thanks for the replies...that kind of sucks :(. Is it something that can be removed/changed?

I assume its similar to a DPF removal. Not seen anyone removing them or anything yet as theyre quite new.

Thanks for the replies...that kind of sucks :(. Is it something that can be removed/changed?

Of course, as well as you can remove the cat or DPF, however it won't pass MOT if you do so (obviously) :)

Below is an example of how the Gasoline Particulate Filters could be placed. However, you would normally place it closer to the turbo (on the other side of the cat) to make it heat up faster and thus be more efficient to filtrate NOx, CO and so on as close to the start up as possible.
s500.jpg

Ah thanks for the info guys. Think I will just have to accept it for the moment then.

This is one of the things putting me off changing mine, I like the exhaust note and it’s how a performance car should sound.

Reactions: Lehn
A 2015 s3 didn't have any crackles or pops only the so named dsg fart

Reactions: pburv and NevMan
So I'm assuming theres no way around getting the previous sound back? Other than getting an mot failure

Out of interest are there any aftermarket exhausts for the 8V S3 that cover any warranty issues?

I know that there is a risk to warranty with most manufacturers if they can point blame towards the non-oem exhaust, but also know some are offering aftermarket options (VW and BMW) and some exhaust manufacturers will also offer warranty to cover anything that dealers wont?

Has anyone made any videos of the sound yet? What car does it sound similar to? GTI?

Has anyone made any videos of the sound yet? What car does it sound similar to? GTI?

I've been on the look out for similar but so far nothing. Some said to listen to the sound from the Seat Ateca Cupra but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

I found this just now:

Reactions: tuningman73, NevMan and Mythos
I've been on the look out for similar but so far nothing. Some said to listen to the sound from the Seat Ateca Cupra but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

I found this just now:

It will sound the same as the SQ2? Here's a good video to hear the sound of it:

Not sure if anyone with the 2019 S3 can confirm this is what it sounds like?

If I didn’t know better I’d assume that was the 1.4/1.5 engine from the noise :blink:

Reactions: Chris S 1245 and Mythos
I wonder if an engine remap to get it back up to 310 would do anything?

I'll be coming from a diesel anyway so anything will be an improvement sound wise :grinning:

It does sound really bad...makes me tempted to cancel my order and get a pre-owned. Only problem is I won't get the spec I want

Maybe it wasn’t in dynamic mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone on here who has a MY19 S3 are saying it doesn't have the pops from the exhaust and that it generally sounds much worse. Dont think it's anything to do with the mode its in tbh.

Reactions: Chris S 1245
Everyone on here who has a MY19 S3 are saying it doesn't have the pops from the exhaust and that it generally sounds much worse. Dont think it's anything to do with the mode its in tbh.
I took one out at my local dealers the other day while I was waiting for them to finish on my car, can confirm it seemed a lot quieter than my 310 17 plate S3.

In particular on the downshifts there seems to no longer be the pops and crackles and if you ease off the accelerator at about 3/4k revs there wasn’t any crackles then either. Pretty dissapointing really, if I was ordering I’d seriously consider the previous pre wltp cars.

Saying all that the car I drove only had about 500 miles so didn’t want to push it too hard and the exhaust may loosen up a bit with more mileage.

Reactions: Mythos
I took one out at my local dealers the other day while I was waiting for them to finish on my car, can confirm it seemed a lot quieter than my 310 17 plate S3.

In particular on the downshifts there seems to no longer be the pops and crackles and if you ease off the accelerator at about 3/4k revs there wasn’t any crackles then either. Pretty dissapointing really, if I was ordering I’d seriously consider the previous pre wltp cars.

Saying all that the car I drove only had about 500 miles so didn’t want to push it too hard and the exhaust may loosen up a bit with more mileage.
Not good mate, does it still have the DSG farts?

Drove a couple of 2019 models on Saturday, a TT and an S3 and they definitely don’t have the sound of the older models. It more of an induction sound now, neither have the deep growl or DSG lift off sounds.

I can't understand the lack of videos/reviews for the new WLTP models.

No it is strange, would be great if some of the owners on here with them could post up clips?

I am not too bothered about the sound for my new order, I got a good deal and the whole package is good IMO but would be nice to get some decent sound clips if possible. I will be assuming that a decent non-oem exhaust would address any noise issues regardless.

Unfortunately neither dealers close to me have one in to go see but will be trying to arrange when they do.

Same here. I got a hefty enough discount (25%) so I'm not too put out about the sound, but still curious how it compares to pre WLTP. I hope I haven't signed an NDA to not post sound clips of the car in the future :tearsofjoy:

Mate who works at a large Audi Dealership has confirmed to me That the 2019 Audi S3 has lost its DSG fart and crackles and pops. Just has a revved out 4 Cylinder petrol sound similar to the 8p S3 which didn’t really DSG fart. He has also said that thanks to The new emission tests there’s been a lot of cancelled orders on S Cars. This is why the used Values of the Rs3 have gone up as there is now more Demand than supply.

Not good mate, does it still have the DSG farts?
Not 100% sure I was in manual mode most of the time rather than S, there was an upshift noise but wouldn’t describe it as a DSG fart as such.

Mate who works at a large Audi Dealership has confirmed to me That the 2019 Audi S3 has lost its DSG fart and crackles and pops. Just has a revved out 4 Cylinder petrol sound similar to the 8p S3 which didn’t really DSG fart. He has also said that thanks to The new emission tests there’s been a lot of cancelled orders on S Cars. This is why the used Values of the Rs3 have gone up as there is now more Demand than supply.
I’ve been told by my dealer than RS3 order books will open in a few months time but they can’t take deposits at the moment, if that happens used prices will tumble as a lot of cars and overinflated at the moment.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I’ve been told by my dealer than RS3 order books will open in a few months time but they can’t take deposits at the moment, if that happens used prices will tumble as a lot of cars and overinflated at the moment.
But that depends on whether the wltp rs3 is still the car it was before. If similar to the wltp s3 then I imagine some buyers will look at alternatives

Reactions: Jassyo06
Same here. I got a hefty enough discount (25%) so I'm not too put out about the sound, but still curious how it compares to pre WLTP. I hope I haven't signed an NDA to not post sound clips of the car in the future :tearsofjoy:

25% discount l would like to see that in black n white mate...........coz av never known anyone on here to get that large a discount on a ordered car

Reactions: loftylad
25% discount l would like to see that in black n white mate...........coz av never known anyone on here to get that large a discount on a ordered car

You're not joking...I thought id done well with 17% !!