2019 S3 Exhaust Note Change

I'm slightly bemused on the comments regarding the noise. Mine has 2200 miles on it and when it is in sport mode it does sound nice ie whoomph noise when changing up and a nice burble when it changes down or on the over run. Yes it doesn't crack/fart/pop but that makes it that much more a pleasant car to drive. My car feels as every bit a fast as the last 310 I owned and the s-tronic feels smoother, the wife says it sounds less hooligan and more "throaty ". Even the daughter says it sound very nice when in sport mode (she is a petrol head).
I have no regrets in getting this new 300ps version and the mpg has even improved to an average of 31mpg local commuting.
Ps, my chrome tips still look like new, now that's got to be a plus point.
Just my opinion peeps. :friends:

Exactly what I want to read at my age lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, NevMan, Jcbmally and 2 others
I'm slightly bemused on the comments regarding the noise. Mine has 2200 miles on it and when it is in sport mode it does sound nice ie whoomph noise when changing up and a nice burble when it changes down or on the over run. Yes it doesn't crack/fart/pop but that makes it that much more a pleasant car to drive. My car feels as every bit a fast as the last 310 I owned and the s-tronic feels smoother, the wife says it sounds less hooligan and more "throaty ". Even the daughter says it sound very nice when in sport mode (she is a petrol head).
I have no regrets in getting this new 300ps version and the mpg has even improved to an average of 31mpg local commuting.
To be fair since my tips got powder coated they don't seem to get that sooty and a quick wash with soap and they're like new again.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally
Fair enough mate But I’ve heard one and it sounds rubbish in my opinion may as well just be a 2.0 Audi A3 that’s how quiet it is. Sounds so flat without the DSG bang on the upshift Glad I told my mate and he cancelled it got a Used 2018 S3 Saloon instead which sounds really good. Now that it’s got a res delete Sounds even better.

Reactions: H4VO and Jcbmally
I just like the whole package with my MY19 S3 Saloon, I do wonder whether its because I've gone from a SB to a Saloon though? In my humble opinion I think the S3 Saloon is one of the best looking cars on the road, in that sort of category. For the money I think they're great regardless of exhaust note but I do understand why people would choose a used 18 plate, its a bit more raw isn't it.

The exhaust note isn't much of an issue for me, do I miss the DSG noise, no, I miss the overrun, that sounded ok but I do seem to getting a bit in this new one now.

I do wonder what the new one will be like though, will there be an S3? Or will they just do what they've done with the S1? Or even worse, go diesel, the sales manager at my dealership mentioned that the S4, S5 might be going diesel? Any truth in this?

I would have assumed they were going in the opposite direction what with no diesel models of the A1 on the market (or even planned?)

I just like the whole package with my MY19 S3 Saloon, I do wonder whether its because I've gone from a SB to a Saloon though? In my humble opinion I think the S3 Saloon is one of the best looking cars on the road, in that sort of category. For the money I think they're great regardless of exhaust note but I do understand why people would choose a used 18 plate, its a bit more raw isn't it.

The exhaust note isn't much of an issue for me, do I miss the DSG noise, no, I miss the overrun, that sounded ok but I do seem to getting a bit in this new one now.

I do wonder what the new one will be like though, will there be an S3? Or will they just do what they've done with the S1? Or even worse, go diesel, the sales manager at my dealership mentioned that the S4, S5 might be going diesel? Any truth in this?
I was looking at getting an S5 and the branch manager said can't order any new S5s as the new model will be diesel, so also heard the same here. So trying to find a deal on a 2017 S5

Fair enough mate But I’ve heard one and it sounds rubbish in my opinion may as well just be a 2.0 Audi A3 that’s how quiet it is. Sounds so flat without the DSG bang on the upshift Glad I told my mate and he cancelled it got a Used 2018 S3 Saloon instead which sounds really good. Now that it’s got a res delete Sounds even better.
Each to their own fella, if we all liked the same the world would be pretty boring.

Reactions: JimmyMcGee and Paul finch
I've stuck with my order. Going to do the res delete and if I'm not happy look at other options

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: listers_socks and Jcbmally
Fair few posts on here about it. In short makes the exhaust louder and a lot more pops and crackles. Cheap mod to do but I would never go back now.

Hi,thanks for that info.Will not be having that done mid fifties now going to keep it standard I will leave that to the younger generation, regards.

Reactions: Paul finch, Jcbmally and loftylad
The video clips of exhaust sound from the post WLTP model are like hens teeth! I need something new to tide me over for another few months :D

The video clips of exhaust sound from the post WLTP model are like hens teeth! I need something new to tide me over for another few months :D
Just find a video clip of a 2017 model and press mute

Reactions: pburv, JohnM100, unitzero and 3 others
Does make me wonder if the next S3 will sound as bad?

Anyone know why the MY19 TTS is 306ps yet the S3 is 300?
Thought they were exactly the same engine etc

If it's on the Audi site I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't been updated.

If it's on the Audi site I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't been updated.

Yea it’s on the Configurator.. 99% sure it is up to date though, as the TTS wasn’t even on there a few days ago..

Yea it’s on the Configurator.. 99% sure it is up to date though, as the TTS wasn’t even on there a few days ago..
The new S3 had the wrong torque figure I think it was for ages after it had been "updated" had the torque of the RS3

Reactions: H4VO
Jokeing apart mate,I've had a 2015 s3 and now a 2019 s3,the new one is so quiet!... but it's smoother,quieter and more responsive, you'll love it!
That's only down to the different gearboxes in both and not the engine power facelift has a more responsive gearbox

Think the torque will be slightly more in the 2019 model in comparison to the 2015 model so that’ll have a part to play

Out of interest are there any aftermarket exhausts for the 8V S3 that cover any warranty issues?

I know that there is a risk to warranty with most manufacturers if they can point blame towards the non-oem exhaust, but also know some are offering aftermarket options (VW and BMW) and some exhaust manufacturers will also offer warranty to cover anything that dealers wont?

The dealership that sold me my car clearly advertise they supply and install the milltek exhausts. Therefore, I cant see that they would provide this service if it invalidated any warranty. However, I'm sure it would be fine if they installed it but not if someone else did, despite it being the same ****** exhaust. "Oh look, we supply and fit these too now, but we charge more money, and then it won't invalidate your warranty" < probably

Reactions: listers_socks
I've never had any issues with my res delete and I've had a full rear differential replaced and haldex pump.

I believe changing the downpipe is an issue but a cat back would be fine

I think all the previous exhaust and remap work available is somewhat out the window on the new WLTP car. Once i have mine i may look into it if the equivalent res-delete is an option. I would also be keen on a Milltek option but currently i dont think any supplier has options for the MY19 car?

Got a custom res delete today on my DEC 2018 S3

We took a look and saw there were no sensors or anything on the centre resonator so I left it with them this morning and they chopped it out and replaced with a straight pipe.

Got a message at lunchtime saying “it’s done... but it doesn’t sound any different”

I was rather disappointed to say the least.

Upon collecting and taking it for a small test run I can say it does actually sound different but not night and day and not as good as the YouTube videos I’ve watched of the 2016-2018 models when they have had this done.

I’ll take the opportunity at the weekend to get a video though with some stationary revving and maybe a drive by so you can make up your own minds.
Unfortunately I never ended up getting any footage of the standard MY19 sound but imagine a wheezing grandma and then the sound of a bowling ball roiling about in the boot on the over run and that’s more or less all it was.

May also unplug the valves to see if that’s more like what a hot hatch should sound like.

Reactions: NevMan and JimmyMcGee

Completely in agreement with this. Mine has just clocked over 2100 miles and I would say sound has improved marginally. Obviously, not like a pre-WLTP FL but still, coming from a derv, anything is better. Super happy with my purchase.

Got a custom res delete today on my DEC 2018 S3

We took a look and saw there were no sensors or anything on the centre resonator so I left it with them this morning and they chopped it out and replaced with a straight pipe.

Got a message at lunchtime saying “it’s done... but it doesn’t sound any different”

I was rather disappointed to say the least.

Upon collecting and taking it for a small test run I can say it does actually sound different but not night and day and not as good as the YouTube videos I’ve watched of the 2016-2018 models when they have had this done.

I’ll take the opportunity at the weekend to get a video though with some stationary revving and maybe a drive by so you can make up your own minds.
Unfortunately I never ended up getting any footage of the standard MY19 sound but imagine a wheezing grandma and then the sound of a bowling ball roiling about in the boot on the over run and that’s more or less all it was.

May also unplug the valves to see if that’s more like what a hot hatch should sound like.

Yea would be nice to upload a soundclip while driving! I ordered a 2019 one and would like to hear it.

Yea would be nice to upload a soundclip while driving! I ordered a 2019 one and would like to hear it.

Not sure if you saw this but I shot a short stationary clip the other day;
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...s3-with-opf-filter.383331/page-4#post-3407862

Stationary clip.

Hopefully I’ll get a drive by later once the car is cleaned.

Reactions: FeDx_, NevMan, OliS3 and 5 others

Stationary clip.

Hopefully I’ll get a drive by later once the car is cleaned.

I think I asked another forum member this, but did the res delete bring the pops and bangs or was there some semblance of that before the mod?

I think I asked another forum member this, but did the res delete bring the pops and bangs or was there some semblance of that before the mod?

There were very muted ones, but this has woken them up. I really meant to get a sound clip before but never got round to it I’m afraid.

Reactions: JimmyMcGee and NevMan
Noob question alert...

How is a res delete performed and can it affect the warranty?

Picking my 2019 up tomorrow and these videos have alleviated some of my fears about the exhaust note.

Cheers

Ed

Noob question alert...

How is a res delete performed and can it affect the warranty?

Picking my 2019 up tomorrow and these videos have alleviated some of my fears about the exhaust note.

Cheers

Ed
They cut out the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe. Would only affect the warranty on the exhaust, as it's the only part directly linked to the change. 20 minutes job.

I've had it done a few years on my current s3 and I've had quite a few serious warranty claims and it's never been mentioned. I'll be doing it day 1 when my new one is delivered

Reactions: NevMan