SQ5 2020 SQ5 TDI - review at 2mths

I nearly didnt buy another Audi because of the touchscreen but decided to take a punt as frankly I didnt use the controller much on the go even in my BMW and was using the touchscreen for inputs when stationary.... its not too bad and I am finding voice control pretty good so far....

I had a panroof in my SQ5 and barely ever opened it - or the blind. Not had one since and dont miss it. The thing I miss most currently is speed limit display, speed limits are important!

I am surprised we havent had an RSQ5 yet, there is a Q3 and a Q8 version.....

Agree on the RSQ5...surprised

First time I’ve read this and quite interesting!

In my RSQ3 I have to say the 3D B&O is absolutely amazing imo! I find nothing comes close that I’ve owned before and coming from a recent bmw it wipes the floor and then some compared to the HK! Hands down!

Agree on the gears, if like mine there seems a lot of lag for a performance model, annoying, and when it does kick down it’s almost too aggressive. I find going into manual a lot more now than I ever did on my RS5 which the gear ratio seemed to be tuned perfectly imo.

Also agree on the heated steering wheel.... was surprised there isn’t one for Vorsprung? And not even the option? Very strange.
I do have the extended storage pack, but if I’m right it only gives you a little cubbyhole by the steering wheel and some nets... that’s it, so not missing much.

I’m now waiting on the new RS3 and hoping it looks good - really disappointed in the S3, think it looks bland and boring hence going for the RSQ3. Each to their own I suppose.

Hope you keep enjoying it all the same :thumbs up:

Yep, pretty much the same, nothing then kickdown 3 gears and wallop! I think it is tuned for emissions and favours high gears, it’s quite happy to waft in 5th or 6th at 30-40mph at just 1250-1500 rpm. It is a ZF box isn’t it? If so exact same as I had in the Alfa which was very different.

heated steering wheel wise, it’s got a flat bottomed wheel, which I understand has never come with a heated option, is that right? I see the FL Vorsprung Q5 has a round heated wheel.

Ref Porsche Macan comparison, I did look at a S or GTS as an alternative, but to add the options I wanted (Christ, every things an option!), no discounts and high APR plus 6mth+ wait, it was a no go, even with a higher gfv. It’s also a much smaller cabin than the Q5

There is a lot of 2020 Inventory unsold sat in the dealers and even some 2019 stuff too. The current RS was built 10th February according to the Certificate of Conformancy left in the glove box, I bought the car 23rd of October and know that the deal (nearly £10k off list) was supported by Audi UK.

Autotrader lets dealers list new car inventory so it's worth keeping a close eye on the spec you are seeking, there will be desperation in the next3 or 4 weeks to move stock on.

mine was also supported by Audi with a big chunk off list then further support from dealer and finance. Looking at Autotrader today, the number of new unregistered S and RS models with discounts available in UK is staggering. The dealer said they were flat out sales wise when I bought mine in Sept hadn’t been as busy in years. Wasn’t sure if it was pent up demand from lockdown, people with spare disposable cash from lack of holidays or Brexit worries over cost/availability. I guess all 3

Reactions: NevMan
mine was also supported by Audi with a big chunk off list then further support from dealer and finance. Looking at Autotrader today, the number of new unregistered S and RS models with discounts available in UK is staggering. The dealer said they were flat out sales wise when I bought mine in Sept hadn’t been as busy in years. Wasn’t sure if it was pent up demand from lockdown, people with spare disposable cash from lack of holidays or Brexit worries over cost/availability. I guess all 3

My dealer said the same, first went in on 1st Sept, and the showroom had loads of visitors and not just time wasters they were really busy. Who knows how long this will last though. I have noticed that despite many great deals around many nearly new vehicles have increased in price recently which seems a bit of contradiction?

Reactions: firecracker69 and NevMan
The dealer mine came from said the same, September was crazy busy, then the first two weeks of October and then it stopped.

Importers don't like having previous model year inventory lying around for too long, so for Audi the model year change over window is around week 22 each year. It is the case with an average 12 week lead-time many cars sold much after the end of April 2021 will be built as MY 2022. For models that are to be discontinued Audi have a tendency to drop then quietly in January of each year...the configurator shows the vehicle and says something ambiguous like 'Contact the dealer for availability'.

The importer with excess unsold inventory has a couple of options; either heavily incentivise individual sales (as happened to me) or pre-register inventory and stick them on the 'used' forecourt, either way it costs a lot of money and hits the residual values of the vehicles already sold which is bad for the brand long-term.

Audi definitely had too much stock around this year as it turns out - a bit like BMW did with the M5s last year (I got one of those too). When the world turns a bit shaky and we are doing less driving, expensive performance models are probably less in demand. I think they also misread the feeling towards diesels and there are way too many s4s etc around - if you tried the same search for BMWs you would get a few M340is but next to no M340ds.

Latest lockdown will mess up Q4 sales but some garages were still reporting good trade right up to lockdown beginning (including where I collected mine from on Nov 2nd) and whilst there may be some in stock bargains to clear in Dec I imagine they may turn down the dial and go for margin and not so much volume in 2021 and ramp the volumes back up in 22 or 23 when they know the world is back to normal... hopefully! Volumes will be down anyway if there is a Brexit trade tariff to add and not sure the "it wont stick if volumes are down" view will prevail, they make sod all money on new cars anyway....

Reactions: cosmicblue and NevMan
Audi definitely had too much stock around this year as it turns out - a bit like BMW did with the M5s last year (I got one of those too). When the world turns a bit shaky and we are doing less driving, expensive performance models are probably less in demand. I think they also misread the feeling towards diesels and there are way too many s4s etc around - if you tried the same search for BMWs you would get a few M340is but next to no M340ds.

Latest lockdown will mess up Q4 sales but some garages were still reporting good trade right up to lockdown beginning (including where I collected mine from on Nov 2nd) and whilst there may be some in stock bargains to clear in Dec I imagine they may turn down the dial and go for margin and not so much volume in 2021 and ramp the volumes back up in 22 or 23 when they know the world is back to normal... hopefully! Volumes will be down anyway if there is a Brexit trade tariff to add and not sure the "it wont stick if volumes are down" view will prevail, they make sod all money on new cars anyway....

Agree, the money is all made in finance, gap, other extras, servicing etc

Reactions: cosmicblue
Agree, the money is all made in finance, gap, other extras, servicing etc

Servicing always has been the biggest money spinner, along with second hand cars, particularly those in the 18 months to 3 years category. Its why they love mugs like me buying a new car, not for the profit on the new car but so they can make the profit on the (not very) old one back in the system...

And why my brother, as an after sales manager, was always hacked off with the pay the sales guys got (inc bonuses) when he earned all the money for his garage!

I really do think Audi UK have lost the plot. When diesels are the devil incarnate, we will move some of our halo models to diesel, and when we update them we will reduce the headline power numbers... and didnt the old X3 35d turn out similar bhp numbers and it didnt carry a halo M badge...

I mean, people buying cars arent impressed by those things are they....?

I really do think Audi UK have lost the plot. When diesels are the devil incarnate, we will move some of our halo models to diesel, and when we update them we will reduce the headline power numbers... and didnt the old X3 35d turn out similar bhp numbers and it didnt carry a halo M badge...

I mean, people buying cars arent impressed by those things are they....?

Agree! Definitely lost the plot. Diesel sales have fallen off the end of a cliff...clue?

Reactions: firecracker69
So we've 2 x petrol Audi and 1 x diesel and for sure the driving characteristics of each are so different so much so that we love each for the difference.

Emissions: looking at inner exhaust pipe 'muck' then for sure our bi-turbo SQ5's are the cleanest by far, just zero muck! Both the TT and RS3, both petrol, am carbon black so there's something, going forward, to consider. On the emissions front I'm thinking diesel will outlive petrol (diesel needs less distillation) and for 'domestic' drive characteristics we'd take our bi-turbo V6 SQ5 everytime. That said, and as it's a nice day, our RS3 is gonna have it's legs stretched later.

Love the TORQUE characteristics of the 2016 SQ5, and that among other niceties of the 2016 SQ5 is why we have one; interesting that the 2021 SQ5 is leaning back to them self same 1400-2800 rpm max TORQUE characteristics - just saying... :racer:

Each to their own, what suits one don't suit all, appreciate what you have an' all...

PS: a 2018/19/20/21 petrol (ugh!!) and/or diesel SQ5 just doesn't/won't cut it for us...

Last edited:
Reactions: isleaiw and paul wev
So we've 2 x petrol Audi and 1 x diesel and for sure the driving characteristics of each are so different so much so that we love each for the difference.

Emissions: looking at inner exhaust pipe 'muck' then for sure our bi-turbo SQ5's are the cleanest by far, just zero muck! Both the TT and RS3, both petrol, am carbon black so there's something, going forward, to consider. On the emissions front I'm thinking diesel will outlive petrol (diesel needs less distillation) and for 'domestic' drive characteristics we'd take our bi-turbo V6 SQ5 everytime. That said, and as it's a nice day, our RS3 is gonna have it's legs stretched later.

Love the TORQUE characteristics of the 2016 SQ5, and that among other niceties of the 2016 SQ5 is why we have one; interesting that the 2021 SQ5 is leaning back to them self same 1400-2800 rpm max TORQUE characteristics - just saying... :racer:

Each to their own, what suits one don't suit all, appreciate what you have an' all...

PS: a 2018/19/20/21 petrol (ugh!!) and/or diesel SQ5 just doesn't/won't cut it for us...

My comment wasnt aimed at the car, I drove diesels for many years (including 6 cylinder from BMW and Audi and 5 cylinder from Volvo and Alfa)...

My comment was that in a world when diesel is viewed by the buying public as risky (residuals, city low emissions or diesel restrictions) it almost matters not a jot how well it drives if people just dont want them...

And then they take the halo model, improve it and give it lower headline numbers....

Maybe you need a 2017 petrol then ;) which I had - lovely car, great engine. The inside was definitely the biggest improvement though.

The argument for diesel superminis is gone and very few available new now, but for a bigger SUV I think a diesel version makes sense, even in this day and age.
BMW have tried to accommodate both by offering petrol and diesel versions of 3, X3, X4 M etc whereas Audi have stuck to one or other in different markets. I assume they have the marketing data to allow them to make an informed decision for each market

The argument for diesel superminis is gone and very few available new now, but for a bigger SUV I think a diesel version makes sense, even in this day and age.
BMW have tried to accommodate both by offering petrol and diesel versions of 3, X3, X4 M etc whereas Audi have stuck to one or other in different markets. I assume they have the marketing data to allow them to make an informed decision for each market

I'd like to see the sales figures to see how well their informed decision is going. Tried to do how many left but of course SQ5 TDi brings up prior model before 2017 as well.... However my interpretation is that it isnt selling as well as the X3M40i by a long way.... but as I say stats not easy to interpret.

There seemed to be more SQ5 petrol buyers on here when it was current than diesel ones now, maybe that is just the nature of the market, I dont know....

I agree with you - if I was going to tow or do the domestic stuff that SUVs are bought for a diesel makes sense. Not sure in the sports saloons and estates it does....

I'd like to see the sales figures to see how well their informed decision is going. Tried to do how many left but of course SQ5 TDi brings up prior model before 2017 as well.... However my interpretation is that it isnt selling as well as the X3M40i by a long way.... but as I say stats not easy to interpret.

There seemed to be more SQ5 petrol buyers on here when it was current than diesel ones now, maybe that is just the nature of the market, I dont know....

I agree with you - if I was going to tow or do the domestic stuff that SUVs are bought for a diesel makes sense. Not sure in the sports saloons and estates it does....

They definitely lost plenty S4 owners, or at least meant they stuck with their petrol versions. Quite a few I would hazard have gone M340i estate or saloon.

When I had my M40i, my dealer said they sold very few M40d vs M40i, but agree that is not scientific

Just had a look on HowManyLeft.com, not scientific but data shows X3M40i (2k cars since 2017) sold 2 for every 1 M40d (1200 ish). Sq5 TFsi sold around 3k cars during its sale period, the TDI version since about 3-500. That’s up to q2 2020. In both cases not big volumes, surprised BMW can make a case to homologate both versions, I guess it is why Audi haven’t.

But Audi DO elsewhere in the world, but not UK for some reason? You get Petrol SQ5's in the states, Aus and many other regions...I think

Yes they do, Tax and regulatory environment in UK (and EU generally) makes it different to rest of world, where things like CO2 output across a fleet isn’t such a big penalty for companies such as Audi.

I find it odd that Audi in the UK stopped the SQ5 petrol, but then VW started a petrol option for the 3.0 Touareg? Alt ought not sure if that’s still an option

I find it odd that Audi in the UK stopped the SQ5 petrol, but then VW started a petrol option for the 3.0 Touareg? Alt ought not sure if that’s still an option

Correct, and 3.0 V6 Petrol STILL an option

a0e1818a44316c2202ca0cba3fc52d9d.jpg

Reactions: Keef
Touareg, whilst similar in price is a class above, same platform as Q7. Can’t imagine they sell many petrol Touareg’s in UK.
Options and offerings is a complex area, many of these engines are shared across models, brands and platforms, there is a finite supply and choices need to be made. The individual VW group brand offerings must also come into it, competing options at different class and price between brands. Who knows, was the petrol SQ5 pulling too many sales from Porsche Macan in Europe?????

Reactions: Keef
I just want a SQ5 sized version of a RSQ8
Not too much to ask really....RSQ5 :)

Reactions: SteveeeGee, NevMan and paul wev
Touareg, whilst similar in price is a class above, same platform as Q7. Can’t imagine they sell many petrol Touareg’s in UK.
Options and offerings is a complex area, many of these engines are shared across models, brands and platforms, there is a finite supply and choices need to be made. The individual VW group brand offerings must also come into it, competing options at different class and price between brands. Who knows, was the petrol SQ5 pulling too many sales from Porsche Macan in Europe?????

And Porsche have dropped diesel like a hot

And Porsche have dropped diesel like a hot
But while they had those offerings they did a lot of business, many people wanted the Porsche brand without the running costs! However equally, many thought it diluted the brand too much.

I expect the RSQ5 is unlikely to ever happen, and the next Q5 is likely to be a BEV or maybe a hybrid.

Just have to get an RS4 instead chaps... I have to say I love mine and don’t miss the SUV element at all...

But while they had those offerings they did a lot of business, many people wanted the Porsche brand without the running costs! However equally, many thought it diluted the brand too much.

I expect the RSQ5 is unlikely to ever happen, and the next Q5 is likely to be a BEV or maybe a hybrid.

Think the Porsche running costs are there irrespective, as servicing etc is pretty pricey.

Agree the next Q5 likely to more hybrid focussed, but maybe a chance for a RS before they (ice) disappear...live in hope

Just have to get an RS4 instead chaps... I have to say I love mine and don’t miss the SUV element at all...

Can’t argue with RS4 mate, but.....where I live the roads are shocking, and a couple winters ago, my A6 got beached in snow drift across lane coming up to our hamlet. I sold the A6 and got Q5, then got the M40i.

And here I am now with a Mini Cooper S

But, if an RSQ5 became available I would be interested

Can’t argue with RS4 mate, but.....where I live the roads are shocking, and a couple winters ago, my A6 got beached in snow drift across lane coming up to our hamlet. I sold the A6 and got Q5, then got the M40i.

And here I am now with a Mini Cooper S

But, if an RSQ5 became available I would be interested

ah, I don’t bother in the snow... but if I had to I would take the Mini! Too many idiots around and I wouldn’t want the Audi damaging...