2022 TFSI Fuel Question

nmi929

Reaction score
Hello all,
Picked up my brand new 2022 A1 40 tfsi yesterday :) and have a doubt about what the salesperson said about the fuel.
They said that we should put 95ron fuel, and not 98. Based on my limited understanding of petrol, 98 ron is always better, especially for higher power engines, so we double-checked, but they maintained it should be 95.

Any ideas why they might have said that? Maybe there's some reason behind it...
Thanks in advance!

Always put 95 in ours. Put 98 in once, didn't make any difference. No idea why they would stipulate 95. Then again, what do they know. Perhaps they were just trying to save you 10pence a litre when you filled up.

Rarely bother with the 98 personally, but I always avoid supermarket fuels at all costs unless desperate and no other choice.

I think that there are rules concerning which version of petrols, at least, new cars must be happy to use to perform efficiently, and in UK that will be 95 RON for normal cars.

Like others sometimes say, maybe when refuelling from low fuel warning level, once in 5 re-fills, use 98 RON and best to do that if you plan to run that tank out over a long journey so that your engine internals, or some parts of them, benefit best from the "better" cleaning aspects of the 98 RON, bought from a proper branded fuel filling station.