20v Stroker build spec reccomendations.

Benjamin Wade

Reaction score
Hi all, i am about to build a stroker 20v engine and would welcome any recommendations on specs and suppliers. I have bought an fsi bottom end only to find the crank isn't forged (******)! So think im gonna go for a new crank, i have bought an agu to use as the base engine, for the big port head. Who is best to go to for rods, pistons etc, also recommended turbos for this application, was thinking gtx possibly, but dont know which yet. I am hoping to make in the region of 450 to 500 hp. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks, ben.

Biggest factor is how much money you want to spend? Is it a budget build or do you want to go to town?

Are you willing to spend some on the head for valvetrain, this will dictate wether go for the low 400's and spec a turbo for that or go for the higher end of your spec and maybe leave some in reserve for if you want to continue further at a later date with cams, inlet manifold etc?

Personally I'd be looking for v band tubular manifold with either a HTA3071 or HTA3076r as are a lot more quicker spooling than GTX equivalent.

Rods IE rifle drilled would be the most common and reliable option which could couple to JE, Wiseco, Mahle or another named brand name piston.

You want to start pushing to the limits your mentioning really you want to be looking at valvetrain, even if just changing the exhaust valves as will be taking a risk not doing so.

Hope that's of some help? If not plenty of build threads on here to help you learn and get ideas from :)

Reactions: SamHendry
Biggest factor is how much money you want to spend? Is it a budget build or do you want to go to town?

Are you willing to spend some on the head for valvetrain, this will dictate wether go for the low 400's and spec a turbo for that or go for the higher end of your spec and maybe leave some in reserve for if you want to continue further at a later date with cams, inlet manifold etc?

Personally I'd be looking for v band tubular manifold with either a HTA3071 or HTA3076r as are a lot more quicker spooling than GTX equivalent.

Rods IE rifle drilled would be the most common and reliable option which could couple to JE, Wiseco, Mahle or another named brand name piston.

You want to start pushing to the limits your mentioning really you want to be looking at valvetrain, even if just changing the exhaust valves as will be taking a risk not doing so.

Hope that's of some help? If not plenty of build threads on here to help you learn and get ideas from :)

Thanks, yes that does help, was planning on uprating valvetrain as I heard they were a weak point, I realise this isn't gonna be cheap, but it's a car I plan on keeping, any recommendations on suppliers as I made a list the other day, rang them all, and not one answered the phone!.
I believe Integrated engineering do a kit, was considering buying this as it saves a bit of hassle, do you know if they are of sufficient quality.
Thanks, Ben.

Thanks, yes that does help, was planning on uprating valvetrain as I heard they were a weak point, I realise this isn't gonna be cheap, but it's a car I plan on keeping, any recommendations on suppliers as I made a list the other day, rang them all, and not one answered the phone!.
I believe Integrated engineering do a kit, was considering buying this as it saves a bit of hassle, do you know if they are of sufficient quality.
Thanks, Ben.

Tbh best do the valvetrain whilst the head is off and the engines in bits.

Integrated do a kit and is good quality, there's plenty of deals out there and you can piece together a kit for a very good price if hunt about.

Thanks, Ben.

I sourced all of the parts for the valvetrain on my 8P from Integrated Engineering and used the Ferrea valves.

The quality is excellent,as was the service.

Reactions: Benjamin Wade and Sandra