218 or 282 BHP Model? Superchips?

mbc0

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to buy an Audi A5 (2018ish)

There are quite a lot to choose from if I go for a 218BHP Model but the 282BHP models are expensive and like hens teeth!

I cannot see any difference between the cars except the BHP and with Superchips offering 300BHP for £300 I have found myself in this dilemma!

Can anyone offer any advice please? is there something else I am missing between the two models?

Many Thanks in advance!

The 282 BHP variant replaced the 218BHP variant in 2018 hence its relative rarity for that year and being younger more expensive. I had the 218 version of the A5 for my company car and when I handed it back wanted to buy a 2nd hand one could not find any. Having had a quick look on autotrader there are now quite a few so looks like they are coming onto the market as companies change cars at the end of 3 / 4 year lease cycles.

In terms of the car itself the it was absolutely brilliant and would not hesitate to have another one. Plenty of power when needed as well as being economical (averaged 37mpg over 3 years doing mostly town driving and on a long run would easily get 50+).

The more powerful version is about a second quicker 0 - 60 but the impressive thing with these engines is their mid range acceleration. The 282 version has an 8 speed gearbox v a 7 speed in the 218 variant to handle the extra power.

Really depends on what you are buying the car for - whilst the extra power is always nice I would personally spend the extra cash on getting a better spec such as a pano roof, tech and driver assistance packs and matrix candles.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your detailed reply!

In answer to what I want, I want it all! top spec & power :-D however, I have to be realistic and stick within my budget, a nice spec 218 will cost 20K (ish) and a 282 is 25K (ish) but powered tailgate & Virtual Cockpit are important to me so I will probably only find that in a 218 within a sensible price, I am curious about superchipping the 218 though :)

Think they all come with a powered tailgate so you should be alright for that one!

Sportback has a powered operated tailgate and the coupe has an electronic boot lid release

Reactions: mbc0