255 30 19 instead of 255 35 19

hilly

Reaction score
looking to upgrade my 18s to 19s on my s line avant. if i go with 255/35/19 the gap on my arch will go up roughly about 4mm now if i go with 255/30/19 the arch gap will lower by 8mm ish. i would like the arch gap lower
but dont want any rubbing i would be keeping the width and the offset the same as standard. would like to know peoples thoughts on this?

I would probably go with the OEM recommended, the bigger sidewall on the 35 probably offers better ride quality and resistance to potholes.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com

Someone here sent me this link and it helped a lot, many useful tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 245/40/r18 because I dont trust these streets :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I missed something, but I did not get the logic that reducing the profile will reduce the arch gap, the smaller the rolling radius the bigger the gap?

yeah i think i have looked at this wrong been on willtheyfit.com and it said arch gap -8.8 so i thought it ment my arch gap was - 8.8 but think it means your gap is growing by 8.8 my bad.

I'd say go with the 35s I have 30s on my 20" and my wheels are wrecked :-(

I want to go the other way when I replace my wheels - I currently have 255/35/19 and I want to go 255/40 to help fill the arches a little more.

Does anyone know if I'll have any rubbing issues at full lock?

(I should I add I have the standard Sline suspension with adaptive dampers. I don't indend to lower or modify my car.)

Thanks

Luke

Last edited:
When I reduced the side profile on my winter wheels which are my standard 18" Sline wheels, I bottomed out on everything, instant regret, no such issue on my 19s however.

I think what you mean is smaller profile means the whole car is lower marginly..
but the gap in the arches will be more as the radious of the wheels is reduced, if you don't want the arch gap to appear bigger, dont get a smaller sidewall.

Hi Meemo,

To clarify I want to run a larger sidewall (up to 40 from 35 for same tyre width) to help fill the arches (or reduce the gap) , improve the ride quality and give me a little more ride height.

My only concern is tyre rub at full lock (which I do quite alot)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi Meemo,

To clarify I want to run a larger sidewall (up to 40 from 35 for same tyre width) to help fill the arches (or reduce the gap) , improve the ride quality and give me a little more ride height.

My only concern is tyre rub at full lock (which I do quite alot)

Sorry this was in reply to @hilly 's original post.

I have no experience of having increased my side wall, only reducing and stretching tyres, if i wanted to reduce my arch gap I would lower the car rather than add more tyre which will make it taller and perhaps a little more tractor looking (Just my personal opinion).
a change of 5 shouldnt rub if you are on standard springs/height though, if when you full lock you see gap you will be fine.

Reactions: LukeyC
Thanks Meemo, sorry for unintentional thread hijack.

Reactions: Meemo
When I reduced the side profile on my winter wheels which are my standard 18" Sline wheels, I bottomed out on everything, instant regret, no such issue on my 19s however.

I think what you mean is smaller profile means the whole car is lower marginly..
but the gap in the arches will be more as the radious of the wheels is reduced, if you don't want the arch gap to appear bigger, dont get a smaller sidewall.
yeah thats what i mean. think im going to go 245 35 19 then that will keep everything the same as i have now

Reactions: Meemo