2l stroker kit

Olly P

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi
Reaction score
I've be trying to save for a new car but have decided to keep my S3 as I love her too much! A friend of mines just sold his god aweful Honda Civic and bought a real car, a Z3 M Coupe. With a book 0-60 time of about 5.2 secconds its faster than my S3. So, I figured I may as well spend the money i've been saving on making my S3 faster!

So, at some point next year i'm hoping to splash out on a bigger turbo, possibly a gt28 but hopefully either a Gt2871r or a Gt30 (depending on funds!). If I go with one of the later two turbo's I'll be needing new rods etc. I've just noticed that JBS do a 2l stroker kit that comes with rods, pistons etc. Has anyone tried one or have any ideas on weather the performance benifits are worth extra cost compaired to just replacing the rods?

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/product/932/18t-stroker-kit-20ltr

:blackrs4:

... and yes this need for more power is very much inspired by tufftys build thread, lol

What are the pro's and con's of stroking, no obscene comments please, tim especialy :p

Heres the blurb from JBS

"This stroker kit features a set of IE 20mm rods, Supertech Pistons, and a genuine, forged VW 2.0 FSI crank shaft. It utilizes an 82.5mm bore piston to achieve 1984CC displacement, with 8.8:1 Compression. This is a very robust setup which is an upgrade from standard 1.8t parts in every way. It provides quicker spool, more torque off boost, and more power and torque per pound of boost. You will lower cylinder pressures at a given output, allowing you to stretch low octane pump gas (91-94 octane) further, making your car that much more of a serious contender on your day to day pump fuel"

Guess there that there are any real bad points apart from the cost? I'm not sure if its worth it or not though?

What are the pro's and con's of stroking, no obscene comments please, tim especialy :p

Pro's... better spool on turbo's and more baseline power...

Con's... not cheap and after doing my build the way I have, not sure I would gain enough to warrent spending the cash there... would rather use the cash for valves...

If you have a big budget and don't care, do it... if not, then rebore to 82.5mm or 83mm and live with a 1.9lt... the 500-700 quid more for a crank etc isn't gonna give you the power to cash ratio and is no more reliable than whats already in there...

Money spent on valves/springs will give you the reliability and the ability to up the rev limit making better use of bigger turbo and inevitable later spool...

...and get a GT30, its not mu more and with the right hotside will be as good as a GT28 spool wise with better headroom for power higher up the rev range...

The only thing I regret doing on my build is stumping up for valves and springs while the head was off as my car just wants to rev...

<tuffty/>

Cheers, what hot side did you use for yours? Whats the lag like?

I had started a thread on this a while back with quite a lot of info, after it all most people agreed it was not worth the cash.

how much is it to get 83mm bored out. well resized to to 83mm, what gains did you get?

Cheers, what hot side did you use for yours? Whats the lag like?

0.62, 0.5bar at 3.2k rpm and 1.7bar at 4k to redline... Getting it dyno'd on Friday so will be posting the results of that in my build thread :)

<tuffty/>