3.0 TDI S-Line A6 or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reaction score
My intention was to get the bodywork sorted on my A4 this year so I can sell it for an A6. But with the engine issues I have had, I am really starting to question the quality of Audi's.

At just over 50,000 miles I had to pay £1000 labour costs when the bearings to the fly wheel failed knocking the engine timing out and now at 65,000 miles I may have to have an engine rebuilt because it's using too much oil!

I'm in a bit of disarray at the moment and my decision making is starting to wander; so as a consequence I wanted to put it out there - A6 or Grand Cherokee?

I'm on my 3rd Audi now... build quailty is franky shocking sometimes, and the RS6 is laughable in some of the things they have done, and the costs needed to maintain it...

Likewise, build a S8, charge a fortune and go to the bother and cost of the special ASF... but put tiny drains in it, that run through the cabin, clog up and flood the car.... yeah... well done...

So if it wasn't for the fact I like big V8 saloons, I wouldn't have them... and I'll never buy Audi again.

Grand Cherokee/Cherokee on the other hand, I buy them for buttons (sub £1k) and run them into the ground, off road, through rivers, bounce them off walls etc... and they keep going....

So maybe why my S8 and RS6 sit doing nothing these days and I drive about in a battered £500 Cherokee....:arco:

I'm gutted. The Audi looks so nice compared to its competitors, with this being my second, if you don't count the convertible. I thought I was going to be driving them for the foreseeable future, but that now hangs in the balance.

I've owned the convertible for two years now and it's brilliant, particularly for its age. In fact I was looking to sell it this year, but the family has fallen in love with it and the V6 runs like a dream. A stark comparison to the problems I have had with my 1.8T and now 2.0T.

I need something bigger which is why I am possibly looking at the Jeep. I'll probably buy near enough new and although it's a 4x4 I can't imagine it will be challenged any further than in the snow! The rest of the time it will be on the road.