3.0 TDI Water Sloshing Sound

Alnicopro

Reaction score
I can hear what sounds like water sloshing around in a container to the rear of the drivers seat. It only occurs under sharp breaking/accelaeration (basically enough of direction change to cause the liquid to move).

My car is due in for some warranty work soon so will ask Audi to double check everything. Just wanted to hear from other owners incase I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

I believe it to be the add blue tank liquid moving about as seems to make no difference if the fuel tank is full or not (I think the fuel tank is baffled to prevent this kind of noise).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountfair
I’ve got a sportback and I do hear the duke sloshing when it’s near full but not had anything else

Is your AdBlue nearly empty? Could it be that?

Hopefully the addblue isnt near empty as ive only had the car three weeks, however given the dealerships track record so far it wouldnt suprsie me if they havent filled it up.

Reactions: Audidave69
Did you get to the bottom of the sloshing sound? I’ve got exactly the same thing on my A5 Sportback but it’s on the passenger side

Dealer has said eveything seems ok.

I think its the Adblue tank. As Buck pointed out with a full tank of fuel you can hear this slosh about a bit.

I have a 2018 A5 Sportsback. 5 weeks ago it developed the same sloshing sound on passenger side, beside fuel tank. Brought it back to garage, who confirmed it as being a defect and replaced the fuel tank. Returned it to me yesterday, complete with new fuel tank , and exactly the same sound going on. The Garage have said that they took 2 new 2019 A5 out to check them out after I called them, and the brand new ones are doing exactly the same thing! So, they have written a report to AUDI Ireland and I also contacted AUDI Ireland with my complaint yesterday. AUDI Ireland are awaiting the report from my Sales Garage and will then let me know what they are willing to do to get to the bottom of the problem.
It looks to me like a technical engineering problem. I have had 2 A4’s and another A5 Sportsback over the years and never one had a problem with noise in the cabin of the car. It is quite an irritating noise.

I have exactly the same noise. My A5 SB is due into the dealership later this month so I’ll post more once it’s been in

I also believe that this is a more common defect than we realize, and that people are not reporting it as , one of our other contributors have mentioned, we think we are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I am interested to see what responses I get to this thread!

I’m sure you’re right. The chap Alnicopro’s car also shares another defect with mine, an infuriating tailgate rattle. Though I think he’s now had that sorted.

Have to say, I’m remembering fondly the A6 Avant, Q7 and S4 that I’ve had previous to this A5. The build quality just seemed more German. Less technical gizmos but more substantial build.

I have exactly the same noise. My A5 SB is due into the dealership later this month so I’ll post more once it’s been in
I believe that this is opening a can of worms Markol! There is no way that it is normal for any AUDI to have that sloshing sound and I will not be accepting that it is a ‘ characteristic ‘ of the car! It did not do it when I bought it new 1 and half years ago, so I won’t be accepting that it is ok for it to be there now. I certainly would not accept a brand new one with that noise! I feel sorry for the two unsuspecting people that take procession the 2 new ones from my Sales Garage!! They are getting the noise from the start, and I hope they realize that it is not normal!

Mine has done it from new - 3 months now. It definitely isn’t normal and, as you say, I won’t be accepting as being such.

I’ll crash it through the dealership window and tell them that the problem distracted me from braking.

Keep me updated as to how you get on! AUDI IRELAND have told me that they will contact me by next Tuesday 16th July with advice how how they are willing to proceed, so I’ll let you know how that goes.

No @Mountfair mine is a petrol. It went in today and they said they need to keep it in. They’ve had to contact Audi Gmbh as my “sills are full of water” and they’ve never come across the problem before. I should know more tomorrow...

Strange that they are saying that they never heard of it before, when 3 of us have the same problem!
I got the report back from Audi Ireland and they say there is no technical problem with the car and they are getting no other complaints!!
I have an Appt with my Car Dealer again on Weds for them to check out the Adblue tank, but I emailed them this evening mentioning your problem with the sills and they are going to look into that now also.
Will you keep in touch as to how you get on , and I will also, and hopefully some one of us may come up with a resolution.
The noise is annoying the hell out of me!

My noise is on the right hand side of the car coming from the rear seat area. My initial concern was the door sills being full of water, but moving the door around no sloshing sound can be heard. As the add blue tank is on the right hand side I believe it to be this. My add blue tank is the 24 litre version.

Dealer got the reply from Audi GmbH this morning. It’s a defective seal on the sills. Remedy is to remove faulty seal that allows water ingress, drain water from sills and then replace with new seals that don’t allow water in. They’re on with fixing it as we speak...

Dealer got the reply from Audi GmbH this morning. It’s a defective seal on the sills. Remedy is to remove faulty seal that allows water ingress, drain water from sills and then replace with new seals that don’t allow water in. They’re on with fixing it as we speak...[/QUOTE
Dealer got the reply from Audi GmbH this morning. It’s a defective seal on the sills. Remedy is to remove faulty seal that allows water ingress, drain water from sills and then replace with new seals that don’t allow water in.
Dealer got the reply from Audi GmbH this morning. It’s a defective seal on the sills. Remedy is to remove faulty seal that allows water ingress, drain water from sills and then replace with new seals that don’t allow water in. They’re on with fixing it as we speak...
Thank you MarkoWol.
I am on my way to by dealer shortly and have emailed him your message. Hopefully this will sort the problem. Appreciate your input. Will let you know how I get on later.
on with fixing it as we speak...

Just back from my Audi Dealer. They checked out the sills, and yes, exactly the same thing! They drained water from it and absolutely no noise now. Completely gone!
The dealers did exactly the same thing to 3 other new A5’s that they had in stock, and noise now gone from them all!
They are writing a report for Audi Ireland and going to recommend that their technicians look into the problem as they do not know why the water is lodging in the sills...even in brand new, never driven before , cars. Therefore, they they cannot guarantee that the problem won’t return sometime down the line. I will have to await the answer to that report , but for the moment my car is perfect again.
Thank you guys for your input, I think the information proved very valuable in finding how to sort the difficulty!

Thanks for the update Mountfair. Will get mine re-checked when I book it in for some over rattles which Audi still havent resolved.

That’s great news @Mountfair I'm happy for ya. Mine was going to be returned to me last night after they sorted the sills, but it seems that the water has gone under the floorplan too. So, it’s just had it’s third day at the dealership today whilst Audi decide what to do with it. I’m now paying to drive an A3 courtesy car!!

That’s disappointing MarkoWol. I am hoping that I am finally finished with it all! I hate to hear that you are still having problems , as I feel that maybe I have gotten away too lightly???!!!!
I too was given the honor of driving the A3 courtesy car, when the dealers changed the deisel tank 2 weeks ago, tho it was only for 2 days!! The only good thing I could say about it was that at least there was no sloshing sound from it!!
I must return to the Dealership next week as when they removed the diesel tank, someone/something managed to put 2 dents in my back wing, beside the deisel cap, so they are repairing those next week.
I will have to say tho, that apart from that, which was unfortunate, the dealership has been very co-operative and anxious to get to the bottom of the problem.
Let’s hope it stays that way!
I will keep an eye on this thread and see what you’re outcome is.
I do have a difficulty understanding how 2 perfectly new, never driven before cars, could have water lodged in the sills also. It doesn’t give me much faith in the new A5 I must confess.
I will watch with interest! Keep us posted as to your progress!

Was told today they’re going to have to take interior out and they’ll need my car until next Thursday at the earliest. So I’ve said I’m going to contact Audi tomorrow because they’ve sold me a car that’s not fit for purpose

I feel your pain MarkoWol. I had a couple of sleepless nights over mine and found the whole saga very stressful. I thought I’d be doing the same as you and handing back the car , for the same reason last week when tank was replaced and noise was still in car after it was returned ...... and my car is 18months old, not 3mths!! I am hoping that I still won’t have to..... once noise stays away.
I can imagine your frustration and I agree with you completely that you have no other alternative, than to insist that it is taken back......you should not have to put up with any of this in a 3 month old car. Which also leads me to be very concerned with the brand new ones being sold by my Car Dealer with the same problem before they ever went out on the road.
I am trying to renew my faith in my car, but I don’t think I could hack the difficulties you have had.
I will be hugely interested in how they deal with you. Be prepared to be fobbed off with all kind of excuses and apologies.Stand strong in your argument. I feel you might have a battle on your hands unfortunately.
I wish you the very best of luck.
Keep updated please.

@MarkoWol......Have you taken a screenshot of this thread?? I know AUDI do not recognize these forums as they are not Official AUDI forums, but I did send this thread to my Car Dealer to prove that firstly that I was not the only one with this problem..(as I kept hearing that they had never heard of the problem before!), and secondly, because your suggestion that it may be the sills, was the reason my Dealer investigated that avenue at all.
It is proof to Audi that you are not alone with this problem and that your car is not an isolated incident.
It might be an idea. I keep a screen shot of this thread since I joined it, so I can use it as proof that I am not an isolated case. I will use it as a back-up if required.

My 3.0tdi has this problem too - thought it was the fuel tank so will be getting the dealer to look at it.

Any chance of a picture of the offending part so I can point it out clearly to the dealer please as not sure where this is

Cheers

Hi @Frizzley
I’m afraid that I can’t help you with that. All I know is that the water was lodged in the sills. I didn’t even know what a sill was until @MarkoWol mentioned it! If you have read the thread, you will see that I also thought it was the diesel tank, which the Car Dealer also agreed with, and it was replaced... to no avail.
Yesterday, the Dealers drained the sills and it sorted the problem. The Dealer has said that he is writing a report to Audi Ireland to suggest that the sills be modified as the water is not draining away from them and they can’t guarantee that it won’t happen again in the future. I genuinely believe myself that this is a more common fault than I am being lead to believe , and that if enough people report it, the more the chance of it being sorted.. permanently.
Good luck with your endeavors.
As I’ve said to @MarkoWol, take a screenshot of the relevant pieces of this thread for you, and produce it to your dealer. It may save them wasting time replacing items that are not needed, but also prove that this problem is not uncommon.

@FrizzleyAccording to the Car Dealer, the sill is the ledge directly under the door. The ledge that the door sits on.

Thx for the prompt response - will definitely be taking a copy of this thread into the dealer

I find it most peculiar that the sills are retaining water, even water ingressing inside of them. That part of the body construction is pretty standard stuff for all cars.
Possibly this is a small manufacturing error affecting a small number of cars, where a assembly individual forgot to insert seals or something.
However it does sound like this could be the sloshing issue....

Yes @cuke2u. I agree, but apparently when my Car Dealer removed the seals in the 2 new A5, that had arrived from AUDI Germany only last week... both had a least a mug of water lodged in each. Plus the one in the car lot, which was there with the past 7 months, had the same.
Yet, AUDI Ireland tell me they have never heard of the complaint till I reported it, and my Car Dealer has now heard of 4 cars for definite, in the past 5 weeks!
I have had my car returned and am driving it for the last 2 days, without a sound, since the sills were drained, so I am crossing my fingers that all is ok now.
I most certainly would not like to be in @MarkoWol’s shoes as I think he is heading for a battle. I hope not.... and he deserves to have car taken back and replaced at his stage.

Was told today they’re going to have to take interior out and they’ll need my car until next Thursday at the earliest. So I’ve said I’m going to contact Audi tomorrow because they’ve sold me a car that’s not fit for purpose
wow that's a big job, I work in a car factory and know how many people build the car and how many bits are put in as it goes along the lines! One bit fitted back incorrectly and you will have a rattle or vibration that will drive you mad...not to mention all the electrical connections etc. The guys working in your local dealership will be doing it for the first time...I wouldn't be happy if it was my car being pulled apart.

This may help you:

The Managing Director of Audi UK is Andrew Doyle
andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk
also copy your email to - executive.office@audi.co.uk

Possibly this is a small manufacturing error affecting a small number of cars, where a assembly individual forgot to insert seals or something.
However it does sound like this could be the sloshing issue....

It has been known mate, I recall many moons back a lad was lent in on a job. Towards the end of the shift and 300 cars later his boss went to him and said "You've missed the rubber bung on the last few cars", to which he replied "What rubber bung?"...the boss showed him and the lad said "Oh I didn't know I was meant to fit that, I haven't done any all night" :wtf:

It was a hole/bung in the tailgate that was exposed to weather....all the cars had to be reworked, luckily it was just a case of opening the tailgate and pushing the bung in without removing any other parts.

Yes I realise years ago this might happen, however there does only appear to be a handful of cars affected and these days, with automated builds, many more would be affected...

Yes I realise years ago this might happen, however there does only appear to be a handful of cars affected and these days, with automated builds, many more would be affected...
Only the main metal body parts and front and rear glass are put together/fitted by robots, the majority of items that are screwed, bolted and pushed into the car is still done by people on the lines. One missed rubber bung the size of a 10p piece missed could cause a water leak. 23 years in a car factory and I'm still seeing things that shock me!!! I went to a meeting the other week where a customer had done a warranty claim, the operator hadn't pushed an adblue pipe into the correct location, it had dropped down onto the 'hot' exhaust and melted, resulting in adblue everywhere. A simple mistake with a big hassle for both the customer and us, as we then have to tell all the operators on that job and do a shed load of paperwork to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Only just come across this thread and reading with interest.

I got my A5 sportback 40 TFSI S-Line back in March and have noticed the same sloshing sound. I thought it was related to the fuel tank, but this makes more sense, as the sloshing didn't seem to correlate to how full the tank was.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is on the cards