3.0 TDI Water Sloshing Sound

I have just purchased a six month old A5 Vorsprung Edition and thought I was going mad when I heard the water sloshing around the car. I origianlly thought it was the fuel tank, so thankfully I came accross this post. I have got my car booked in to be looked at in a couple of weeks. The dealship however did not believe me. The comments were 'don't believe everything you see on forums'...so I am not holding out much hope.

just be clear with them what the specific check you want doing ie the sill bungs and don’t let them talk about fuel tanks or “characteristics” of the car and all of that nonsense!

That is their standard answer to everything ... brainwashed you would say. Customer is always wrong - we know better :triumph:. My dealer said the same - until they saw and heard the car. “Yes, you Got water in it - but we can’t help you as it’s 2 months out of warrenty”. Drive slow and break hard and you can hear it easily.

Just something to consider when trouble shooting this,

for those with diesels and suspecting the adblue tank, i have a petrol 19 plate 40tfsi and it is doing exactly the same thing.

very frustrated and annoyed as you would think a technician would have picked it up during road test prior to selling the car (147 point check!)

i cant for the life of me find where these rubber plugs are which will allow water to drain

if anyone has a picture or an idea please let me know asap so I can do something about it

does the sill trim have to come off to access drain plugs?

It’s plastic - and they are dark gray or black. And I’m sorry for my for description - i think there are 4-6 of them. Mine is a 40 TFSI too. You should have direct access without removing anything. I have removed 4 of mine now - it took a week for the water Sound to disaper fully. I’ll see if I can post a pic of one of the removed later today.

Thanks mike

will be much appreciated as can not be dealing with booking in and fob stories etc to resolve a simple matter

Well - im Think there are a little water left, but i need to break really hard to hear it.
Use 2 screwdrivers to get the plugs out - and Watch out for not breaking the small tap.

Attachments

• ADC7C52E-D11A-48F6-AD19-CE824816F461.jpeg
    ADC7C52E-D11A-48F6-AD19-CE824816F461.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 535
  • 5A63A65A-A4AD-48BE-8670-D6937381CE24.jpeg
    5A63A65A-A4AD-48BE-8670-D6937381CE24.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 521
  • BDD4C25D-4266-4137-AD2D-A9852FF8C684.jpeg
    BDD4C25D-4266-4137-AD2D-A9852FF8C684.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 519
  • 8809C839-B692-4079-99F6-08BDD1C563BC.jpeg
    8809C839-B692-4079-99F6-08BDD1C563BC.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 516
Thanks mike

yes i did see these but thought they are for holding the side skirt in place?

Others have mentioned some rubber plug with a ball bearing inside it

does water drain out when you take this plug out?

233C2823 D50A 4867 88CF D7157B561857 Yes - start with the back ones. Pannels wont fall off. I removed 2 plugs my self - pic was when anticorrotion Company did the first one.
I also read about the Ball bearing, but that must be somewhere else.

Last edited:
Not had chance to get clips out

was going to call audi driver line and have them collect car and sort out

car is less than a week since i purchased, another clonking noise form driver side front suspension also

i will keep you posted once i know

Hi mike

done the deed this morning and water came gushing out of the middle rear clips, other 3 had some water come out but surely will come out more whilst driving and parked at different gradients

thank you so much for the knowledge and emphasising what forums are truly about

A good way to remove these clips was with a 50 pence piece, Twist a quarter turn and pry out with ease so less chance of tabs breaking

just be clear with them what the specific check you want doing ie the sill bungs and don’t let them talk about fuel tanks or “characteristics” of the car and all of that nonsense!

Just a quick update on mine. Took it to the dealer on Monday and straight away they knew what the issue was with the bungs before I even said anything. Apparently it is a design issue and Audi have now remade the bungs to have a small hole in the middle to allow the water to drain. Had to wait a day for the parts to be delivered. Got it back today and so far so good.

Reactions: Buck
Thanks for the update

Are the bungs which are replaced the ones in pics in this thread?

i removed mine altogether however water still sits in the sills as does not drain effectively after rain etc

do they not replace any seals etc?

And crag364uk, ask for an invoice (zero amount i know), but id like an item number to go to Audi with. Maybe a TPI number - that would be awsome.
Zseth - as i said it doesnt remove all water, but reduces the sloshing Sound significantly.

Last edited:
I found this thread while researching my own S5 water issue, so I figured I would reply with my own situation.

I have a 2019 S5 Sportback with 7,000km on the clock which I bought brand new from an Audi dealer. This is my 3rd Audi 'S' vehicle. In the April of this year, I went to unlock the car and found that it was completely dead and had to use the emergency key to open the doors. Called Audi Roadside who sent out a tow truck to try and give the car a jump. After 30 minutes of trying, he could not get the car started. Instead of towing to Audi Service, he recommended that I try trickle charging the batter overnight first. I did so and the car was able to start the next morning, but the dash was full of errors and check engine light was on. I then drove the car the short 5km to my Audi local Service centre where along the way heard a large amount of water sloshing around on braking and acceleration.

Upon inspection, the Audi SA found a 'huge' amount of water in the chassis and said it likely got into the electronics causing the battery issue. My S5 spent almost two weeks in Service where they drained all the water out and completed dried out the car. I received a zero dollar invoice and assumed the problem was solved.

Six months later while driving my S5, I again started hearing the water sloshing sound. Took the car back into Audi service 2 weeks ago and its still there today. So far my SA said that they have drained out all the water and are waiting on some new parts to come in.

I've brought the issue up with my dealer and Audi Canada, but they couldn't care less and offered no solution.

At this point, I'm amazed that this is happening to a new car with less than 10,000km. The complete lack of response form my dealer and Audi Canada have convinced me to never buy another Audi again.

I'll continue to update this thread with any new information related to this issue.

So just an update about my situation. My car got fixed on feb 2020, they have changed bungs and drained the water out I even got video what they have changed etc. It was all good no problem at all and here again I heard the same sound from my car so I booked it for repair as it is still under warranty and they have fixed the problem again but most likely they have drained the water. Reason I am writing that I want you guys to have knowledge of that problem will repeat unfortunately.

Apologies in advance if not relevant but I had similar issue on a new A7 when turning left or right.

The issue turned out to be both bulkheads in front of the windscreen where blocked. Removing the plastic covers at the back of the engine bay (under the cover you’ll find the brake and coolant reservoirs) and both full of water. It’s caused by leaves and debris getting trapped as it falls between bonnet and windscreen into bulkhead and blocking drains. Cleared out debris regularly and been fine since.

Here is my final update on my S5 water issue....

The water returned to my Audi after 2 prior 'fixes' by Audi service. This third trip to service the car spent two weeks with them and the only solution they could offer was to fill the lower sill panels with spray foam. They said this was the recommendation from Audi HQ, but I have trouble believing that.

Upon arriving back home after picking up the car from Audi service, I noticed both door sill panels were falling off as they used what looked like Home Dept doubled sided tape to put them back on. Once again the car went back to Audi Service and their excuse this time was they didn't have the correct double sided tape and I needed to wait a week before it was available. Got the car back a week later and continued using it.

Two months later in December, I once again heard the dreaded water sloshing sound which would now be the 4th time this issue happened. At this point I was fed up. Instead of calling Audi, I called a lawyer. Two weeks later Audi came a picked up my lemon S5 and canceled my lease on it.

I'll never buy/lease another Audi again. For what is supposed to be a quality German brand, their customer service and vehicle service is absolutely terrible.

So guys i have the issue on my 2018, took it to audi huddersfield as had water in my rear footwell after they diagnosed it they then said its due to water being built up in the sills. Asked if its covered under my extended warranty turns out if doesnt. They have stated a mod needs to be made to the sills. After much reseaech i have found the TSB they are referring to, i suggest you all take a read of it. Cars under 50k or 48 months should be done for free i believe. I dont think anybody should be paying for a manufactuaring fault tbh.

Attachments

• MC-10206963-0001.pdf
    361.1 KB · Views: 96