3.0tdi 272 coolant warning.

paultaylor

Reaction score
The warning just came on and as per the picture I’ve to top it up.

This is the second time I’ve had to top it up in the last four months.

Has anyone any thoughts on what I should get checked to diagnose a leak?

Thanks.

7bb5419b7e83b097b80dae9710780f62.jpg

You need to pressure test the system to try and locate the leak.

It could the the EGR cooler??

Thanks. I’ll try that. It took a litre to top it up to the max.

The light came on after I had been parked up with the engine running for about 20 minutes.

Don’t know if that contributed.

Have a good check over the engine looking for the tell tale white / pink stains from a coolant leak. Could be a lot of things doesn't sound like it's using that much at the moment but these things only tend to get worse.

It seems get better mpg and the idle is just below 800rpm rather than just over it like was just when the warning light came on

I don’t do that point to anything?

Car was probably doing a regen, The idle speed will be increased and mpg drops a bit. Engine temp will increase as well when doing a regen but you don't see it as typically the electronic temperature gauge will show 90 if the engine temp is anywhere between 80 and 100 degrees.

Car was probably doing a regen, The idle speed will be increased and mpg drops a bit. Engine temp will increase as well when doing a regen but you don't see it as typically the electronic temperature gauge will show 90 if the engine temp is anywhere between 80 and 100 degrees.

Thanks for the feedback. I had noticed that it was harder to get 45mpg on a motorway run to work and I just thought it was due to colder weather etc.

I must explore egr clean/delete options.

If anyone has any tips on best thing to do with egr please feel free to post

Thanks

One other observation is the fans seem to be coming on more after I’ve parked after a 30 minute drive.

This morning I came home all by motorway and only got stuck in traffic for a few minutes at the end yet the fans where whirring for at least ten minutes after I turned the engine off

Seems strange as I wasn’t in bumper to bumper traffic for a long period of time

Fans usually continue after you stop the car when it is doing a regen. The exhaust manifold and dpf get very hot so the fans run to keep some air moving through the engine compartment. You need to check for any faults showing and check the state of the DPF. You may have a duff DPF pressure sensor or an EGT sensor.

Fans usually continue after you stop the car when it is doing a regen. The exhaust manifold and dpf get very hot so the fans run to keep some air moving through the engine compartment. You need to check for any faults showing and check the state of the DPF. You may have a duff DPF pressure sensor or an EGT sensor.

Thanks.

I did a scan with OBD eleven and it only showed one fault code on brakes U111300 limitation to implausible measure.

I’ll try to get a proper VCDS scan.

losing water would be a concern , as allready member pointed out could be a number of things, i would start investingating before matters get worse,
i had same issue it was oil cooler lucky water and oil was not mixing just cooler , have a close look with torch in the v block area ,
mine was gathering there and then evaporating with the heat of the engine block , luckily i found the source as it was the steam that gave it away,
good luck..

Latest is that I’ve been monitoring when the engine is cold everyday and it’s gone from just about the min level mark to just below the seam so it’s losing it on a regular basis.

I do about 50 miles a day of motorway and back roads

Does anyone know what issues would cause water to leak into the engine as that’s my biggest concern.

Also I’ve noticed poor mpg over the last while and it seems to idle at just over 800rpm quite a lot rather than just below it.

Thanks.

I’m bringing it to get pressure tested today

d8f08a203e149733d5d065507c4dba1f.jpg

I’ve noticed that even at 90 degrees engine temp it still idles at over 800rpm

Could it be trying to regen constantly?

Thanks

Did you ever find out what was causing the leak? As I am getting the same problem, and Audi had a 'quick look', but couldn't find any major issues.

Thanks

Did you ever find out what was causing the leak? As I am getting the same problem, and Audi had a 'quick look', but couldn't find any major issues.

Thanks

I just got my sorted by an Audi dealer, there was a valve leaking(i can't recall the name) in the engine. No visible leaks anywhere. It was part of a bigger job they were doing for me. I think it cost around 250 euro.

I had similar issues where the car was loosing coolant regularly. At first I feared it was the EGR cooler when in fact it was a cracked plastic pipe. The pipe is located on the far right hand side in the belly of the V.