3.0tdi alternator 2005

audiv8quattro

Reaction score
right after replacing the battery last week and all was going well, the battery light came on today, then went of. Now is on again, checked and there's no charge coming from the alternator, It does only seem to be intermittent but the light is on more often than not, had the alternator checked buy the local garage and he said there's no charge at all coming from it, so I wonder if anyone has the part number for a alternator, it's a bmk engine can't get the old one of till Saturday so I can't get the part number from that but ideally I want to order the new one to have ready to replace straight away, or does anyone know if a 2.7tdi or a later model one will fit as I've found one but it's from a 2007 model and the engine codes are different, thanks all

Cheers mate, just had a quick look and it can't search anything through my vin number but if I do a manual search it comes up with one alternator for the 6 cylinder Diesel engine but it's the 2.5 tdi not the 3.0l looks like I'm going to have to wait till Saturday to get the part number then order the part. Thanks anyway mate I appriciate it

There are two possible manufactures of alternator (Valeo or Bosch) two ways to check is to either remove the under-tray and have a look or visit TPS or Audi parts department, they can check what is fitted to your car by VIN number.

Cheers everyone, so I've just ordered one from euro car parts as that's the only parts dealer close to me that can get it in today, cost £215, but I'm just reading online and people are saying the regulator can be at fault, so I'm just hoping the new alternator comes with a regulator attached aswell. We will see, I'll update as soon as its sorted, all fun and games, so a little list, I've had the car just over a week now and so far, it's had new speed sensors, new coolant temp sensors, new battery, full service and now new alternator, I think I bought a bad one.

The regulator is probably most likely candidate from the symptoms you are seeing , the brushes wear down and you then get intermittent charging. Because it's not easy to get at and you aren't sure what the part is then it's hard to fault.
The new alternator will come with a new regulator attached.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARG142-Bosch-90-120-140-150-180-A-Amp-ALTERNATOR-Regulator-Audi-Vw-Skoda-Seat-/261785735119?hash=item3cf3a54fcf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARG120-Valeo-ALTERNATOR-Regulator-Audi-A6-2-0-TFSI-2-7-TDI-3-0-TDI-Q7-3-0-TDI-/261645648421?hash=item3ceb4bc225

How old is the battery ??. The alternator has to work harder with an old battery as they don't hold the charge as well and the battery voltage is lower.
The battery on my 08 3.0 TDI is probably on it's way out now. Not sure what size yours is but I will be replacing mine with a Varta I1 . The CAN module on the car monitors the battery state and it's calculated capacity for my battery is 49Ah, it's a 110Ah battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-Sil...attro-06-07-/251616426577?hash=item3a9581fa51

Last edited:
Cheers mate I literally bought a new battery from halfrauds on Monday I think it was, cost me £110 as I thought that was at fault, picked up the new alternator today And attempted to fit it this afternoon, didn't go very well as I couldn't even get the tensioner loose so I left it and I'm going to take it to the garage on Saturday, the thing that shocks me is I can't find a guide or how to from any forum about it, so I'll try and get some photos together when I go to my mates garage on Saturday and do a write up.