3.0TDI ASB Engine Injectors, cylinder Identification

Andy27168

Reaction score
Hi,
I have A4 B7 Cab fitted with a 3.0 V6 TDI ASB engine which has done 86k miles, and I have been having some issues with white exhaust smoke when idling, and the engine "shuddering" at idle. I have read up on these symptoms which has made me suspect the injectors, after analysing MVB 72-77 on VCDS, it was confirmed that I had three suspect injectors.
Audi recommend to replace all six items (in the region of £2900 fitted :( ).
I have spoken to an Audi mechanic and he assures me that these Piezo injectors can be re-conditioned, so I,m looking at removing the three faulty injectors for refurbishing.
I have a couple of questions that I,m hoping someone can answer.
Would it be wise to get all six injectors reconditioned as they have all done the same mileage, or just limit it to the three faulty ones, or do you think they will require all six anyway to "balance" them so to speak.
Which MVB represents which injector, is it mvb 72=cylinder 1, mvb 73=cylinder 2 through to mvb 77=cylinder 6, can anyone confirm this?
Also does anyone know which is cylinder 1 on the engine?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do all 6 injectors and cyl nr 1 is the driver's side close to front of engine...

Reactions: Andy27168
I'm fairly sure you can't recondition the injectors on your car. Every place I spoke to said they are sealed and can't be cleaned/reconditioned.I had a similar problem to you, and by replacing one of my injectors with a 2nd hand one I bought from ebay, I cured my problem and now have a sweetly running car again.As for the order of the injectors, read this:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-f.../185666-test-blocks-13-14-injector-order.html

Reactions: Andy27168
I'm fairly sure you can't recondition the injectors on your car. Every place I spoke to said they are sealed and can't be cleaned/reconditioned.I had a similar problem to you, and by replacing one of my injectors with a 2nd hand one I bought from ebay, I cured my problem and now have a sweetly running car again.As for the order of the injectors, read this:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-f.../185666-test-blocks-13-14-injector-order.html

Not what I was wanting to hear, to be honest I didn't think they could be overhauled, and think my mate has got my injectors confused with another models, well he's going to find out tomorrow, then I'll know whether I have to go and rob my building society or not, fingers crossed.
I have been wondering whether giving it the Terraclean treatment would make any difference as I can't see the injectors being worn at the mileage the symptoms appeared, and hope the Terraclean might resolve my issue, anybody any thoughts on Terraclean treatment?

I'd get all 6 done for piece of mind. How do you detect this issue using VCDS? Would be interesting to see if I'm suffering from it at all.

Azeem

Have a look at test blocks 13 and 14. They show all 6 injectors. Make sure to test them from cold, and also when warm. Google for what acceptable values should be.

Reactions: A4_MaJiK
I have made some enquiries, and as .Jas. said these injectors cannot be reconditioned the only option is to buy new. But you can get OEM Bosch items for about £240-250 each, from Bosch service centres, instead of being only available from Audi which incidently want in the region of £450-500 each.
After having a chat with a Bosch service centre, they only recommend replacing the knackered ones, my Audi mechanic friend is going to remove them, and they will test them, part of this test will be to clean them which they say CAN sometimes fix them. This testing is £20 for each injector, this is refunded upon purchasing of each new injector.
I had been getting loads of white smoke and engine shuddering on idle, this was only occasional it was also smelling a bit fumey to, I had run a few scans and was getting and intermittent EGR code and I had several failed glow plugs, I cleaned out the EGR, which was surprisingly clean but the pipe that let the exhaust gas back into the air intake from the EGR was completely blocked absolutely solid, cleaned this out, and replaced all 6 glow plugs, this got rid of my fault codes.
I did hope this would solve the shuddering and the white smoke but it didn't.
So I decided to look into the injectors and found a Audi Tech. report covering the exact issues, this detailed the way to diagnose injectors for mechanical wear of the needle attachment.
The 2 MVBs mentioned above I believe show the amount of diesel injected by each injector, which will vary slightly when running my car showed these as being within tolerance, it wasn't till you use MVB 72-77 which show the time corrections of each injector, from these I was able to establish I have three injectors out of tolerance.
According to the TPI this is a well known and established issue with both the 2.7 and 3.0 TDI engines, and states that it only effects vehicles with over 50,000kms, it could be that this TPI originated from America, as there seemed to be some warranty/claim details attached and I don't think there were any such acknowledgment of an issue in the UK.
If you want to look at your injectors to see if this fault is evident,

Read the mvbs 72-77
You will have three values per block.

Should the values be higher than minus -45 ms (example - 60ms) or on box 2 be higher than minus -15 ms (e.g. 20ms),
Then the needle attachment is worn and the injector is incorrect.
To avoid repeat repairs, replace all 6 injectors.
I,ll copy and paste the whole thing if I am allowed, if not anybody want it send me a PM

Reactions: lynallbel and A4_MaJiK