3.2 V6 vs 2.0T fsi

Ben1413

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a 2.0T fsi in the past which ended up going back to the dealer due to engine failure. It was the Quattro version which had been remapped but still didn't feel as quick as I would have liked.

I'm now looking for another B7 Avant and have seen a nice V6 version. Does anyone have any experience with these cars or even engines for that matter? I quite like the idea of a V6.

Cheers,

Ben

Probably parroting the same answer people have given to many n/a vs turbo applications but it really depends if you like linear power delivery or a sudden boost.

The 3.2 will also be more in tax and most likely insurance but you won't have to worry about turbo issues because it won't have one haha.

Have you thought about an R32 Golf? I know they're very similar but they feel more special.

Goes without saying but a test drive is probably the best way to find out if a 3.2 V6 A4 is the car for you.

having had a few NA V6 petrol based cars , which were great to be honest, they still felt lacking compared to a well sorted 2.0 turbo , i'm not saying that applies to all V6 v 2.0 petrol but my old bus is such a great car, a total rocket ship compared to the V6's I've had before., just my opinion, also depends on what size car one is making the comparison with small hatch - v -big estate or equal sized cars etc....its all relative really.

Mines a 3.2 v6 and absolutely love it... the speed is plentiful 6.5-something to 60 and the sound is to fantastic too.. :hearteyes:

Reactions: All-rod
Cheers for the reply.

R32 is a good shout but I need the practicality of an estate. I do like instant throttle response of an n/a engine and the noise of a V6.

Ben

Reactions: DieselJake and Squattro4
Tfsi + £1000 for k04 and remap

You would get that back in savings for tax, insurance and fuel within 2 years ish

I'd personally go for the turbo, the 3.2 is quite thirsty, plus they take twice the oil to service and any issues and it's a engine out jobby, also the tax will probably be double that of the turbo.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Cheers for the advice.

I'm looking at an S4 Avant which is local to me tomorrow.

also double the road tax , insurance will be £££££££ aswell, nice car though.....

Insurance is very reasonable but drinks the go juice if you have a heavy right foot.
But sooo much fun especially in the quattro version.

Reactions: Squattro4
A friend of mine has a mk5 r32 and although it sounds beautiful with a aftermarket exhaust it didn't really feel as fast I was expecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power to weight ratio is pretty poor
Linear power delivery

Power to weight ratio is pretty poor
Linear power delivery

Never even thought of the weight, according to Parkers 3.2's are over 100kg heavier which is pretty mad, still quicker to 60 though (unless the 2.0T has been modified).

Think it's the tunability of the 2.0T that draws most people to it, @Craig Cull took us out in his which was crazy quick (when I picked up some brakes). Wondered where he was lately as I used to love all the b7 bits and bobs he was doing but apparently he's since had a supercharged RS4 and S3 :blink: to say I'm jealous would be an understatement haha.

Reactions: James.c
Didn't manage to get over to see the S4 today.

I fancy a supercharged V6.

why not just go for special eds 2.0tfsi ,220bhp to start with and a sensible stage 1 map you'll get 250-260 bhp and not cost a heap to run either....

Reactions: James.c
I've got the 3.2 a4 cab. I've got a miltek s4 exhaust and an intake and will be looking at a remap soon, however it will still only be 270bhp at most. The sound is amazing as is the torque. But it is not quick by modern standards and it is frustrating the lack of tuning available. Head/engine swap and supercharger from the b8 s4 is the only real route for big power but then you may as well have an S4 or s5.

It does take a lot of oil, but let's face it that's nothing in comparison to other running costs (fuel for a Start) 8Ltrs oil per year vs 2500ltrs of fuel. I get about 24mpg on average 30 on motorways.

I couldn't find an S4 cab with the spec I wanted at the time and needed a car so this was the best option but if I had the chance again I'd hold out for a S4. Also if you get the right year one (2005/6 I think?) then you can still get them in the old lower tax bracket.

Reactions: Squattro4 and James.c
With the massive tuneability, cheaper fuel bills, cheaper tax bills and lighter weight of the 2.0TFSI. I'd have to really like the soundtrack and refinement of the V6 to justify it.

To tune the 2.0 turbo there is a massive cost to it. The exhaust, intake and hpfp plus a map will cost almost £3k. Second hand parts are rarely available too.

Ben

only if you want a massive bhp improvement, my old bus is factory 220bhp , it has been mapped to 250bhp which is a sensible level, torque has increased a lot more aswell, it could have been mapped to 265bhp safely without any other mods , when I stick the sports cat on in the next few weeks and get it remapped a fresh it will be nearer 280bhp....that's just my factory BUL engine remapped with a sports cat , nothing else.....
no mad outlay needed thus far other than the few hundred for the sport cat, how much bhp do you want ben, I rekon my old bus will still be quicker and handle better from A to B across country than a bigger engine B7....its a win win situation for me really, power and handling from a small engine and lighter car...and with decent larger tips it sounds great too....come up and try it ....

And to be honest , i'm not a lazy driver, I do like to drive by the seat of my pants when I can then have it a bit more civilised when needbe, the 2.0tfsi in my old bus does both , mad and on the edge when driven properly, total missile but calm and sedate around town with the wife onboard...running costs are acceptable and the most important part about my old car, it makes me " Smile from cheek to cheek " and I love it.....that's means more than anything really....

Reactions: Baka
From when I was looking into tuning options when I had my 2.0t 280 is unrealistic without a HPFP.

V6's as standard come with 250 bhp so onto a winner already.

I've seen a B8 3.2 that looks good and has slightly more power with lower tax so will have a look at that too.

Ben

what engine did you have , where I had my mapped the guy showed my all the options available and was more than happy that i'd see 280 with a remap on my BUL engine with a sports cat fitted.
He has done a fair few all with no probs and 100% reliable....
I suppose it all depends on wether one becomes overly obsessed with gaining as much power as possible and never really being able to use it all, I'm more than happy with 250-280 from my little old 2.0l engine and the increase in torque curve......like I say, it works for me but everyones different and have different ideas .....
good luck with what ever route you choose ben.

what I will say though is this, I don't really think its fair to compare the 2.0tfsi in what ever guise it may be with a V6 3.0 or 3.2 engine let alone the V8 s4 .....three completely different engines with very different characteristics , add that to a B7 chassis and all three cars will be completely different cars to own and drive......

You are absolutely right. It all comes down to personal preference.

I've always wanted a V8 S4 but imagine the running costs to be very high. The 2.0t was a little in characterful for my liking so maybe the V6 is a happy medium.

Ben

If you're not going to mod a 2.0 tfsi then definitely get the 3.2, it just keeps on pulling and the noise is awesome. I've had a few turbo cars and other v6's and this is my favourite engine so far. £25 tax and £25 insurance per month for my 2005 B7 and 25 ish mpg for an avant Quattro not too bad all things considered. It will do 30's Around 50-60mph

I think its approx. £290 per annum, but not 100% as I've seen double that quoted for the 3.2 in other databases.

really chap, does it not change on year of B7 then....i'll need to look again then as the internet has lied again....no change there then..lol

How do you get 25 quid a month tax?

March 2006 tax switched from being based on engine size to emissions, hence large engines cars registered after have extortionate tax. Mine being a 2005 plate has the 290ish tax not 500ish

Someone correct me if wrong

ah, the webby thing was correct then, year/model based....

March 2006 tax switched from being based on engine size to emissions, hence large engines cars registered after have extortionate tax. Mine being a 2005 plate has the 290ish tax not 500ish

Someone correct me if wrong
I could have sworn mine was about 175 or so?

now that is hoping chap....lol ,mine little old 2.0 is £250 annually....