3.2Q dsg 6 month review

onianbag

Reaction score
How fast the last 6 months have gone! hope some of you find this 6 month review helpful!

Engine:
still awesome. yes the power is anaesthetized but once you get used to it, its great. the sound is just a little too 'throaty' for me but thats a minor gripe and may be specific to my car. fuel economy not too bad. dis shows 27.4mpg which is 3 mpg above my previous un-modified S3 and only 9 less than i got out of my cab diesel.(well worth the trade on smiles per miles) definately feels faster than the S3 and the power more 'useable'

Dsg:
Still great. still enjoy using a mix of manual and auto, sport rarely used. on the *very odd occassion experienced slight delays in changing, but not as severe as the pauses described elsewhere on this forum with regard to roundabout approaching (wonder if that problem is more related to the TDi engine?). launch control very rarely used, prefer to stick it in manual and plant the gas pedal. hill roll is a slight annoyance but believe that is fixed on the new models - seems to be worse for me when reversing up a hill, roll forward at least a foot(feels like more too!)

Quattro:
whats not to like?

Interior:
few minor rattles - mainly the boot problem thats been well documented elsewhere. still like the interior design. I chose the sport config so i could have coloured inlays still glad i did.

exterior:
have to say, i like the new sfg, and do think from some angles the front of the 'old' shape doesnt look right. a lot of this is due to the colour in most aspects - mine is mauritous blue, which i still like. my pinion is the sfg looks best in red and old grill looks best is darker colours. originally de-badged i am now serious about getting it badged again, getting sick of people giving me no respect on the road - plus more importantly i think it looks better with (less chavvy i think)

ride.
better than the s3. slightly harsh, but thats all. I have rs6 wheels which don't help either(which the girlfriend managed to kerb 3of in one sitting - let that be a lesson to us all!!!!)

sat nav+tv
still great. tms would be the icing on the cake - is it out soon? tv rarely used but does come in handy in traffic - or just to listen to while moving.
some problems with mp3 cards but in the main v good. bose sound is not bad and thats it.

things i might have done in the future:
change the glove box outer to lighter shade(i like the two-tone efect on some interiors)
re-chip if i am brave enough and rumours about dsg box being week dis-proved.
add an armrest - i miss it.
re-badge it.
add dvd player.

thats it! i get bored of cars very quickly (the cab lasted only 3 months!) and after 6 months i still love to drive it, and look forward to every journey - this has never been known before!!!!

phew one more thing - just like to wish all my fellow a3'ers happy motoring!!!!

thats a great write up mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

can you give more details on the hill roll problems and how this has been fixed on the new cars?

Great writeup! If boredom does begin to creep up on you, I highly suggest an AMD remap, it still entertains me to no end, even after 10,000 miles.

Re: the DVD player, on the french forum www.audi-passion.com, there are a few pointers for a DVD installation. Do you want me to find the thread again and link it here with a translation?

See my DVD player installation over on TSN: Clicky

I added the Dietz 1280 "video in motion" yesterday, works a treat. It needs to be switchable as you can't navigate while it's active (fools the car to think you're stationary so doesn't seem to update your position)

I still have a spare Dietz 1417 if anybody is interested.

Does that mean you can watch a DVD whist driving - scarey!

[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean you can watch a DVD whist driving - scarey!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only for the passengers (or traffic jams) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have 99% traffic jams in Norwich so would be very usefull to watch a DVD, added with the great Bose sound system the audi has, it would be a real treat :~) Lucky git ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Have you used the dash button next to the ESP button to switch the Dietz on and off?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my initial plan (I installed the switch, it's still there) but due to the fact that the switch only provides a momentary action I would need to build some kind of latching circuit or flipflop so I didn't bother in the end.

The DVD player provides a 12v output which is switched when the DVD player is on, so I used that to control the Dietz 1280. Guess it's designed to be used to switch an external LCD, amp or something.

The only downside is that if I just want the audio from the DVD and leave navigation on it won't update the nav position but that's not a big deal. I may change it in the future to use the switch, if I can be bothered!

[ QUOTE ]
Which switch did you end up using?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean which switch did I install into the dash, then it's an Audi official switch, the same type as the ESP button with the front changed to be the same as the "dummy" front.

As I said though, I didn't use it in the end as the DVD player provides 12v switched when the unit is powered on.