3/4 size number plate

Matt

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a 3/4 size plate on an A3 S-line?

I know they are illegal so dont need a lecture on that side of it thanks. Had one on my previous car and didn't have any problems in 2 years of having it on: http://corsasport.co.uk/carimages/8346/P1000551.JPG

I dont know if I'll like it on the A3 so if you could post up pictures that'd be great. Like I say I'm not looking for people saying its illegal - I'm fully aware of that and might not even get one yet!

Also is it easy to change the numberplate holder or is it a bumper off job? Audi screwed my plate on rather than using sticky patches so there would be holes on show if I went for the smaller plate.

its illegal. lol only joking. im not too sure what it would look like though because the panels where the plates go are slightly indented so if you put a smaller plate on, it may look a bit funny..... but then again it could look good, get a piece on paper and cut it to size then refit it, stand back n check it out!!!

I think they look good one of the lads on here with sprint blue S3 has his plate like that trying to think of his name as i'll be able to find his thread with photo's of it!

Matt can you remember when Jamiekip and few others went on that drive before around europe? Hate this when i cant think of names! lol does my heading!

Did one of them have a smaller plate on? I very very vaguely remember a thread about it but whether I can find it or not is another thing!

Can they be readily bought of the internet? There should be nowhere in the Uk where you can buy them as they are illegal to sell. Its a nice £2500 fine if they do LOL

Did one of them have a smaller plate on? I very very vaguely remember a thread about it but whether I can find it or not is another thing!

Thats correct yes might of been S3 LTN or some thing like that? I've seen a s3 with the smaller plates on and it looks good.

Ive got a smaller front plate on mine.

Its the standard height (4.5 inches) but only 13 inches long, as i've only got 5 letters on my numberplate it all fits on ok.

Looks awesome.

Can they be readily bought of the internet? There should be nowhere in the Uk where you can buy them as they are illegal to sell. Its a nice £2500 fine if they do LOL

Got my last one from http://www.fancyplates.com/

Based in Ireland so they can make you whatever you want and comes with no markers or logos to say where it was made... thats where I get my normal sized plates from too for the same reason. Looks crap when it says Halfords, Partco etc. underneath.

The is no requirement for a number plate to be a particular size. The law requires the characters used on a number plate to be a particular approved typeface, of a specified height, width, stroke width, spacing between characters, spacing between groups. There is also a requirement for a 11mm top, bottom and side margin. For more details see DVLA document (796).

New rules were introduced earlier this year which require an MOT tester to ensure that your car is fitted with legal number plates and also providing for a fine of £2500 for any suuplier who supplies an illegal number plate.

heres mine, looks a lot smarter in real life tbh.

w9yseMedium.jpg

Thats got legal height lettering and spacing hasn't it?

The ones I'm on about like I posted on my old car are 75% of the size of a normal one. So the text is 75% of the height, the spacing is 75% of what it normally is, the border around the text is 75% of the size it normally is etc. etc.

Thats got legal height lettering and spacing hasn't it?

The ones I'm on about like I posted on my old car are 75% of the size of a normal one. So the text is 75% of the height, the spacing is 75% of what it normally is, the border around the text is 75% of the size it normally is etc. etc.

In that case no UK supplier can legally supply one. If they do they would be subject to a £2500 fine. Even 'crunch's is slightly illegal because their should be a space between the first two digits and the second three.
I have a simliar 5 digit personal number, but I also want the blue Euro flash on the plate as I take my car to mainland Europe several times a year and it saves having to have a GB plate, so I have a normal sized plate. Personally I think it looks better because it fills the recess in the front bumper. There is also the safety factor of a slight larger reflective area to be seen at night.

Why not just have a normal legal number plate - no problems with MOTs, no problems with the Police. I just don't see the point of having an illegal number plate just for the sake of it. Personal plate, Yes but illegal plate No.

Perhaps you should move to Switzerland!. They have normal sized rear plates but much smaller front plates.

The place they come from is in Southern Ireland so I guess thats how they get round it?

I just quite like the 3/4 size ones myself. And never had any issues with it from the police in 2 years on my last car. My Dad was a policeman when I had that on aswell. I just put the normal one back on to get it through MOT.

On that car I had to change the headlights and the rear lights for the MOT too which was a bit of a pain.

The place they come from is in Southern Ireland so I guess thats how they get round it?

I just quite like the 3/4 size ones myself. And never had any issues with it from the police in 2 years on my last car. My Dad was a policeman when I had that on aswell. I just put the normal one back on to get it through MOT.

On that car I had to change the headlights and the rear lights for the MOT too which was a bit of a pain.

The police do seem to be cracking down on illegal number plates more than they used to. Mainly due to the plates not being read correctly by their Automatic Number Plate recognition cameras. They set-up a check point near where I live a few weeks ago and they stopped 50+ cars for having some problem with their number plates in one day.

that place fancy plates does old style uk plate's black with white lettering would this be legal dave if so i may get one on my front grill .....

and what was old style back plates like the colour etc... anyone know

The old style plates can only go on cars of a certain age. Would of thought 1960's stuff at the latest?

Have seen a few new Range Rovers around with those plates on, they look quite good!

i just want a black front plate i think it will look good with the black grill...

The old style plates can only go on cars of a certain age. Would of thought 1960's stuff at the latest?

Have seen a few new Range Rovers around with those plates on, they look quite good!

the link you put up to fancy plate's well they sell the black plates old uk plate's so what's the point if you cant have em on and there's illegal....

Nope 10Blazin, you can't put the old style on your car LOL. I read that its £30 for dodgy plates and £60 if it's a personal plate thats spacing has been altered etc :ohmy:

why do they sell them then khufu what's the point are they nobs ... i wanted a black front plate with white lettering

the link you put up to fancy plate's well they sell the black plates old uk plate's so what's the point if you cant have em on and there's illegal....

So they can make money! Its at your own risk if you want to put them on. They dont care whether its going to be legal on your car in the particular country you are in.

Also its not illegal to have them on cars of a certain age so there will be some people that buy them and they are fine for them.

that place fancy plates does old style uk plate's black with white lettering would this be legal dave if so i may get one on my front grill .....

and what was old style back plates like the colour etc... anyone know

The old style black plates with white or silver lettering can only be used on a vehicle first registered before 1 January 1973.

All vehicles registered after that date must have reflective plates, white at the front and yellow at the rear. They must also meet all the current requirements for typeface, size, spacing and margins as set out in the DVLA document V796. A copy of that document can be found here;

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

I must admit their site does not make it very easy to find this document or anything else about the requirements for number plates.

An illegal number plate will mean your car will now fail any MOT test and if you are stopped by the Police they will probably issue a fixed penalty fine of £30 or £60 although the Maximum fine for having illegal number plates on a vehicle is £1000.

damn gona leeve it dont need the fine if i see other cars i may givit a shot , its the closes thing to a blank plate like in the U.S but my idea has been shot to bits before its even been tested in the water lol ... cheers for the advice dave you probably saved me a fine for now , for now that is ;)

No front plate is a £60 fine. Illegal front plate is up to £1,000.

Makes sense doesn't it...

I would assume the MAXIMUM fine for both offences is probably £1000. But in each case they are normally dealt with by a £60 fixed penalty fine. No doubt if someone persists in driving without a number plate or with an illegal plate then it would go to the courts and a larger fine would be imposed.

And as Khufu says, if you have a personal number, the right to use that number can be withdrawn without paying you any compensation.

Found the small plate off the old car and stuck it on with blu-tac just to see. Maybe a little wonky cos it wouldn't stick for very long with the blu-tac :laugh:
Photo0117.jpg

Makes the grille look massive

I personally think any non standard plate (illegal font, spacing, size etc) looks rather daft and something you would expect to find in the likes of Max Power etc..

Ahhhh. You've taken me back to my Alfa 156 from 1999.

They are styled and designed for tiny Italian nuber plates and the UK models got a big plastic moulding stuck on to take the full size of a UK plate.

I stopped the dealer screwing that mounting bracket onto mine and got a plate made up using motor cycle sized letters.
That made it about 4 inches shorter than a full sized plate and it would fit onto the proper Italian bumper moulding,

I never had any issues with the law, even though it was technically not legal for a car, but that was before the days when they clamped down.....

Thanks for happy memories of 1999.....

cimg0487.jpg