3DR Seat problems....again!!!!

Wozski

Reaction score
ok i have had enough of my seats now - really doing my head in.
Problem 1
Drivers seat wont slide back when you want to get passengers in the back ( using top seat handle)
Problem 2
Passenger seat will slide back but will sometimes stay right at the end of the rails and i have to use the handle under neath to move it back again ( i noticed a metal mechanism that sometimes stays in the rails not sure if this is related in anyway)

Please can someone help me to try and fix these issues as i am slowly but surely going crazy!!! :scared2:

Hi mate,

It is tricky but once you get the hang of it, it is easy!
Your drivers seat needs the seat back folded fully forward before you attempt to slide the whole seat forward.
Likewise when you push the seat back into place the seat back still needs to be fully forward for the seat to slide back to its normal position.

If you lift up the seat back whilst sliding the seat backwards it will not go back to the original position and your best option is to start again by folding the seat back forward and sliding the whole seat forward again.

The mechanism needs to complete each action before going onto the next stage otherwise it will just lock up and wind you up mate!

There is a rod inside the seat from the release catch at the top of the seat which pulls a catch at the bottom on the slide rail, it sounds as if your passenger seat rod has come off. Just look at the mechanism under both seat's and see if you can spot where it should clip back into place? Job done.

Gaz

ive looked underneath and it doesnt look as if that is the problem - somewhere between the top handle and the bottom of the seat, something is not working.....

The rod is inside the seat, from the top handle to a catch on the bottom of the seat. I have no drawings but it may pay to ask the guys with access to any workshop manuals or the parts computer program to add the drawings to your thread so you can see how it fits into the seat and what it clips to on the seat frame.

Gaz

I would be interested in this answer too, as I have the same problem with my drivers side seat. It won't slide forward when you pull the lever up! Which is annoying to say the least :mad:

Some how I don't think there is gonna be a cheap fix :laugh:

Cheers

Rog:icon_thumright:

Hi

I know its an old thread... but just had this issue too.

audi want £120 for a 1 hour diagnostics check.

Anyone know how to fix it themselves?

Thanks, DJ.

I know it’s an old thread.

I had this problem when I bought my 2004 3.2 hope fully someone might find this helpful

if you move your seat in to the fully up position using the handle on the side of your seat and then move your seat fully forward using the handle at the front. now if you look under your seat you will see a cable about 6-8" in length there is a plastic clip which should be attached to you seat this breaks and comes loose from the seat so when you tilt your seat forward the cable doesn’t have the pivot point to fully complete the movement of the component on the runner to allow the seat to slide forward and back.

trim on the back of the seat
IMG_1039 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1040 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

here is the cable IMG_1036 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the slide component on the runner in the locked position (will not slide) IMG_1048 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
and unlocked position (will slide) IMG_1050 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i undone this part of the cable on the slide component as you need the seat in the tilt position to do the work and this just makes the cable slack and easier to work with

I used 2 cable ties to keep them in place so it wouldn’t happen again
IMG_1041 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1043 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1046 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1047 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

you can just see the plastic clip in the picture all I done was wrapped a cable tie around where the clip is to hold it in place and then put a cable tie up and down the way to hold the other cable tie in place as where the clip goes is rounded so the first cable tie tends to slip off and the clip will break off again ( you will not see the cable ties once you put the trim back on)

i done this as a temp fix and if it breaks again then i will replace the clips.

i phoned Glasgow Audi to get a price for a new cable £10+vat i was asked if the cable had snapped or is it the clips that have broke as they stock the clips £1 for the clip, i dint think they would sell those clips.

mine was that same anoyed me so much i sold the car after 12 months

I know it’s an old thread.

I had this problem when I bought my 2004 3.2 hope fully someone might find this helpful

if you move your seat in to the fully up position using the handle on the side of your seat and then move your seat fully forward using the handle at the front. now if you look under your seat you will see a cable about 6-8" in length there is a plastic clip which should be attached to you seat this breaks and comes loose from the seat so when you tilt your seat forward the cable doesn’t have the pivot point to fully complete the movement of the component on the runner to allow the seat to slide forward and back.

trim on the back of the seat
IMG_1039 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1040 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

here is the cable IMG_1036 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the slide component on the runner in the locked position (will not slide) IMG_1048 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
and unlocked position (will slide) IMG_1050 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i undone this part of the cable on the slide component as you need the seat in the tilt position to do the work and this just makes the cable slack and easier to work with

I used 2 cable ties to keep them in place so it wouldn’t happen again
IMG_1041 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1043 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1046 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1047 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

you can just see the plastic clip in the picture all I done was wrapped a cable tie around where the clip is to hold it in place and then put a cable tie up and down the way to hold the other cable tie in place as where the clip goes is rounded so the first cable tie tends to slip off and the clip will break off again ( you will not see the cable ties once you put the trim back on)

i done this as a temp fix and if it breaks again then i will replace the clips.

i phoned Glasgow Audi to get a price for a new cable £10+vat i was asked if the cable had snapped or is it the clips that have broke as they stock the clips £1 for the clip, i dint think they would sell those clips.
can someone pls pust this photos again??
i have a problem with my seats..they wont slideforward ...

When you fold the seat forward or pull the slider release at the front then two actions occur under the seat. If you can raise the seat you will see that one action is a toggle of a metallic box type section that tilts clockwise when you try to slide the seat. The other is a long bar that tilts downwards and meets a stop. This bar may not go down far enough to press the little rectangular button type plunger that you can feel if you put your hand under the seat. If you press this plunger all the way down and at the same time lift the sliding bar in the front of the seat the seat will slide.