4-wheel alignment when lowered

Djwoody

Reaction score
I have just lowered my 3.0TDI with Eibach Pro Springs.
It is sitting slightly lower now than it's S-line height (approx 10-15mm).
Should I go and get 4-wheel alignment?
Or is this just a waste of money as its such a small drop?

Was thinking of just keeping an eye out of uneven tyre wear.

Thanks
Chris

I got mine checked when I lowered it but it started off life as an SE so it was quite a bit more of a drop.
I did find the camber on the one rear wheel wasn't correct but that wasn't anything to do with the lowering.
And they tweaked the toe on the front wheels.
If you don't have any existing issues I would see how it goes unless you can get it done for a reasonably low price.
I took mine here http://www.alineyourcar.co.uk/ cost £38 for a full check and alignment of what needed altering.

It is possible to balance the camber on the front by undoing the subrame bolts and moving it but that is a very big job. The camber on the front is borderline on the spec due to the lowering but is not an issue .

Karl.

Reactions: Djwoody
I get mine done whenever I fit new tyres just as a peace of mind kind of thing, I had it done when I first lowered it but 1 month later I lowered it a bit more but didn't have the wheel alignment done as I only dropped it another 10mm and only the other day I noticed I am getting uneven tyre wear on the fronts so looks like It will be getting done again

Thanks for your advice.
As the alignment has not been done (in 6 months of my ownership), I may get it looked at, if I can get it done for a reasonable price - £38 is very good Karl. If I can get somewhere in the Northeast to get near to that price then that would be great.

So I look at this way...You make a change ever so slightly changes everything. If you wait to see uneven tire wear it may be too late to correct and then you need new tires. So new tires are not cheap and the cost of an alignment would end up having better and longer tire wear. But it's your choice.

Reactions: SI-W85 and Djwoody
I'm getting a bit confused (maybe) here, the OP is asking if he needs to get a full four wheel re-alignment done on a car that has been lowered, and someone has got that done for £38 - not much scope for breaking even there I'd reckon. I'd doubt if K-F could do a toeing correction for that - any place that I've used factors in up to an hour's labour to make any changes. I reckon that getting a full four wheel re-alignment carried out is one of these things that a proper car should get done every 3 or 4 years to address any possible errors in initial manufacture, damage due to potholes and compliant bushings ageing - unless of course you just look on your car as a tin box for getting from A > B.