40 tdi quattro

I don’t think you can really predict depreciation as something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Depending on how the car is financed, leased or paid for will determine whether a buyer is bothered about depreciation, most people don’t care about depreciation as they chop it in after the term is finished and start again don’t they?

The MPG you quote isn’t as bad as what I was expecting you to say to be fair.

What mpg do you get on your commute?

I care about depreciation because I buy my cars with my own hard earned. PCP is not the be all but i assume depreciation is taken into account for GFV.
You can only really go on what has happened in the past. I look at the real world asking price of 3/5 year old cars and work back from there.

3 year old S3 worth about £5k more than comparable 184

Upload 2019 12 5 16 54 58

Upload 2019 12 5 16 44 46

What mpg do you get on your commute?

I care about depreciation because I buy my cars with my own hard earned. PCP is not the be all but i assume depreciation is taken into account for GFV.

You can only really go on what has happened in the past. I look at the real world asking price of 3/5 year old cars and work back from there.

You may do but most people don’t, if it’s got a balloon payment at the end of the term the car goes back and they start again, that’s why the market is saturated with used cars.

I take your point though.

MPG on mine, nowhere near what Audi say but are any manufactures trustworthy when it comes to real world figures.

Doing my commute above between 44 to 48mpg.

In and around town, to the golf club and back, pick my son up from nursery going over the tops and country hilly roads between 28 to 34mpg.

Motorway driving for a constant say 100 miles 55 to 60mpg.

Putting that into money and miles per tank, £60 to £65 to fill it and depending on the above it could be between 375 and 500 to a tank (375 being city, country roads and tootling about and 500 a decent run due to work commitments).

That’s why I was half surprised when you mentioned what you get from your S3 as although it’s worse than mine, it’s not a million miles away.

Thanks for all of your relies, advice etc. I have ordered a 184, BE in Daytona, mostly beause of the slighly better mpg, and the mileage I do. I love the S3, its performnce, tunability etc, but i dont really need these things.
i was given build week 15, but i checked its status today, and its now BW 4. So can i assume the 1st week in March for collecion? give or take a week either way.

Reactions: Matt Titanium, cemerson and Ormesome
Thanks for all of your relies, advice etc. I have ordered a 184, BE in Daytona, mostly beause of the slighly better mpg, and the mileage I do. I love the S3, its performnce, tunability etc, but i dont really need these things.
i was given build week 15, but i checked its status today, and its now BW 4. So can i assume the 1st week in March for collecion? give or take a week either way.

You’ve ordered a nice car there, enjoy.

Reactions: sportback A3
I think if you look at pcp prices a tdi Quattro can cost more per month than a s3. As the s3 and rs3 holds their value so pcp monthlies can work out cheaper. My neighbour pays more for his tdi than me on the s3 of similar spec.

I had an S3 for a weekend once. It was so noisy it was ridiculous, and you can't even fit a towbar to them. The mpg is terrible too. Useless!

I had an S3 for a weekend once. It was so noisy it was ridiculous, and you can't even fit a towbar to them. The mpg is terrible too. Useless!

I’ve never found the s3 any noisier than the other a3s I’ve driven till you put the foot down. I’ve got the b&o and noticed the other week helping a mate fit a wing mirror that the b&o has extra foam in the door/cards so maybe that’s why I feel mine is fairly quiet. Petrol engines are pretty quiet compared to the tractor like Diesel engines.
economy is not bad considering it’s 300bhp+. I’ve had 37-38mpg on long motorway runs and factor in that petrol is cheaper that’s 40 ish compared to diesel. Saying that I’ve had the gauge showing 15 on a run up north :wink: so it can be thirsty if you have a heavy right foot. To be honest for similar commute I don’t think I’m spending much more, if any, on petrol to my old a6 3.0tdi (272)Quattro.
I have no interest in towing or a tow bar so the ability to fit one doesn’t concern me. Wife has a suv for that kinda stuff if I really needed it.
Different people have different needs. My point was don’t go blindingly buying a diesel thinking it’s better and cheaper as a lot of cases it might not be especially if you do low miles and don’t need to tow.

Reactions: Matt Titanium, Damo S, sportback A3 and 1 other person

You forgot the S3's ridiculously hard suspension that knocks your teeth out. Hopeless!
Suppose these things are the trade off for choosing a car that the I found to be just a bit more satisfying to drive and overall would only cost about the same to own as a 184 diesel.

You forgot the S3's ridiculously hard suspension that knocks your teeth out. Hopeless!
Suppose these things are the trade off for choosing a car that the I found to be just a bit more satisfying to drive and overall would only cost about the same to own as a 184 diesel.

I have the sport suspension on mine (though not the s-line suspension), and it's fine for me really. The better handling makes up for the slightly rougher ride IMO. I can't remember what the S3 I drove was specced with, but my car at the time had the regular suspension anyway.

I have the FL 184 in Cosmos Blue, which is what they replaced Scuba with. Very happy with mine, and I've driven both too!
That is probably only name labeling changed as color is the same...

Sorry, but that is absolute ******. To only get 180 miles out of an S3, you would need to absolutely cane it everywhere. And who does that with every tankful?

If you do over 12,000 miles a year, consider a TDI. Less than 12,000 buy petrol. Plus consider how long your journeys are. Short trips in a TDI is pointless, as it's on longer trips the TDI comes into it's own.

And if you can get a heavy discount on an S3, it will hold it's value better than any other A3 in the range, apart from the RS3.
Hmm so 2014 s3 will drinking less than A3 tdi quattro 184? So slower car will drink more? Very hard to believe that

think the point is depending on mileage you could end up paying less for a s3 and petrol per month than a tdi with diesel. Diesels are only good for long steady distance and heavy cars.
So why so many ppl in uk has audi a3 tdi man? I think this statement was like 10 or 15 years ago but with new technology even tdi is normal for city

My original point, but someone suggested I was mad for buying a car that returns 32 mpg when I could buy a diesel that does 47 mpg instead

I assume people buy a 184 because they want more performance. That's why I was originally looking at that option.
There may be reasons why people don't want an S3, (quiet ride, soft suspension, need to tow, fear of crime, 30,000 miles a year, company only buy diesels, etc.) and that's their choice. I drove diesels for 20 years, loved the economy and torque at the time. I don't fly about everywhere but the way modern petrols deliver power is far more pleasurable than the diesels (IMHO).

I originally thought the S3 was too expensive. But with quattro + STronic a 184 was getting very pricey. Servicing and insurance costs were similar so I bought an S3 because overall ownership costs (including depreciation) would be similar or slightly less. And I got far better performance, my lovely manual gearbox and a gorgeous blue colour without paying extra.

All I was suggesting was that the choice is there to be considered and I don't think its as mad or stupid as some people seem to think.
Yes but you have to pay £300 Road tax with S3 and insurance like 800 or grand right?
150 a3 has only £30 annual tax and mine a3 tdi 184, I have to pay £10.93 /month road tax and 700 insurance annual

Enough's enough !

Please refrain from the name calling . Its only a car!

If this persists there may be further action taken on the individual

I've deleted a lot of the offending posts to tidy it up for the Op so can we get back on topic

TIA

Reactions: sportback A3, Audi Bairn and SPIKE_
Yes but you have to pay £300 Road tax with S3 and insurance like 800 or grand right?
150 a3 has only £30 annual tax and mine a3 tdi 184, I have to pay £10.93 /month road tax and 700 insurance annual

Road Tax on my S3 is £120ish and insurance £700

Enough's enough !

I've deleted a lot of the offending posts to tidy it up for the Op so can we get back on topic

TIA

I assume thats aimed at me, it’s nothing to do with a car it’s to do with the fact his attitude stinks and I’m not the only one to think so.

but anyway you’re the ‘moderator’ so delete what you want.

Road Tax on my S3 is £120ish and insurance £700
I think you even don't own an s3 as you totally wrong about road tax for s3!
I PAY £130 a3 184!
How come you pay less when on auto trader ALL S3 CARS has £200 tax
(b4 I saw it was £300 maybe they lowered prices?)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191215_093756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215_093756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 112
I assume thats aimed at me, it’s nothing to do with a car it’s to do with the fact his attitude stinks and I’m not the only one to think so.

@A1DEYB - It was not only aimed at you but @MSi
Just trying to calm things down buddy

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Goner
Enough's enough !

I've deleted a lot of the offending posts to tidy it up for the Op

TIA
Yeah if some disgustingly name calling that's bad attitude I know

Stinks of what? You started so I think you stinks because u have nothing to do there is other way responding not like you did so u are not any better..

I think you even don't own an s3 as you totally wrong about road tax for s3!
I PAY £130 a3 184!
How come you pay less when on auto trader ALL S3 CARS has £200 tax
(b4 I saw it was £300 maybe they lowered prices?)

You’re right, it’s something I’ve made up, you got me..

Eh?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/road-tax.403704/

Read that, the first reply. If you want to get worked up over this then feel free to continue demonstrating your terrible attitude. I won’t be replying to you any further.

Last edited:
You’re right, it’s something I’ve made up, you got me..

Eh?

My facelift S3 was £145 a year to tax, some are on lower bands if below £40k etc, not sure about brand new ones though.

Reactions: Chris.D
Hmm so 2014 s3 will drinking less than A3 tdi quattro 184? So slower car will drink more? Very hard to believe that

Eh? Really not sure what you're on about?

I said that basing an S3 on 180 miles per tank was stupid, as to only get 180 miles out of a tank, you'd have to be caning it everywhere. An I get over 300 miles per tank. Over 350 on a long run, and I'm quite heavy footed.

Yes a TDI 184 will get better MPG, but in the real world (not the official mpg) the difference is not that great. Plus short journeys in a TDI will hurt MPG and the PDF filter.

But it all comes down to circumstance. As I work from home, I only do 4-6000 miles a year. So buying a TDI is a total waste of money. But if I did 20,000 miles a year, then depending on how I did those miles, a TDI would make more sense.

I have my late fathers Hyundai Tuscon 184 TDI at the minute. The average mpg is't that much greater than what I get out of my S3. They both get between 300 & 400 miles per tank. Which I was surprised at, considering how different my driving styles are in each car. But when I've taken the Tuscon on a longer trip, then that is when I start to see the better mpg.

My facelift S3 was £145 a year to tax, some are on lower bands if below £40k etc, not sure about brand new ones though.

You’re right, I did say ‘ish’, knew it was around that figure, nowhere near the £300 that was being suggested. I think £145 on a car like this is pretty reasonable!

Reactions: TYb

S3 Road tax band G - now £200. For insurance, I pay a basic £230, and with all the add-ons £290. But I'm a good bet in a low crime area.

Pre 2017, the FWD 184 used to be £30 RFL (and IIRC the 150 was £20). The STronic/quattro was heavier on juice than the FWD so was band D - now £125?
For me, insurance on an S3 was only about £30 a year more than a 184, so the difference in RFL + insurance at £2 a week was not really a consideration in my choice.

S3 Road tax band G - now £200. For insurance, I pay a basic £230, and with all the add-ons £290. But I'm a good bet in a low crime area.

Pre 2017, the FWD 184 used to be £30 RFL (and IIRC the 150 was £20). The STronic/quattro was heavier on juice than the FWD so was band D - now £125?
For me, insurance on an S3 was only about £30 a year more than a 184, so the difference in RFL + insurance at £2 a week was not really a consideration in my choice.
Woow you have very low insurance cost how's that possible? I pay £700 for A3 tdi 184 2015 previously I paid 600 for 2011 a3 2.0 ..
is it low because you had no accidents for many years?
I have insurance renewal at the end of January. I am aiming to lower insurance cost to £400 or £500 .. I am with admiral for 3 years every yer they lowered my cost..

Eh? Really not sure what you're on about?

I said that basing an S3 on 180 miles per tank was stupid, as to only get 180 miles out of a tank, you'd have to be caning it everywhere. An I get over 300 miles per tank. Over 350 on a long run, and I'm quite heavy footed.

Yes a TDI 184 will get better MPG, but in the real world (not the official mpg) the difference is not that great. Plus short journeys in a TDI will hurt MPG and the PDF filter.

But it all comes down to circumstance. As I work from home, I only do 4-6000 miles a year. So buying a TDI is a total waste of money. But if I did 20,000 miles a year, then depending on how I did those miles, a TDI would make more sense.

I have my late fathers Hyundai Tuscon 184 TDI at the minute. The average mpg is't that much greater than what I get out of my S3. They both get between 300 & 400 miles per tank. Which I was surprised at, considering how different my driving styles are in each car. But when I've taken the Tuscon on a longer trip, then that is when I start to see the better mpg.
I really want to buy S3 there is very good price on one but I need to sell my TDI first :D

Woow you have very low insurance cost how's that possible?

9 years NCD, living in the sticks in a low crime area - and let's just say having a few years driving experience.

I do remember paying £450 to insure a Dolly Sprint third party fire and theft when I was 18 though. Worth every penny. :hubbahubba:
I couldn't afford an RS2000.

Reactions: Peto