400+bhp, AWD, 5 doors - rs6 or s4?

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Not been on the board for a while now but time has come to finally move on from the s3.

My budget is approx £25k but could stretch this to 35k if I can make the man maths work.

C6 RS6
the positives are obvious but concerns i have are:
  • the running costs vs performance gains over modified s4 may annoy me
  • the gearbox isnt as modern
  • standard rs6 might be too muted and remapped may actually be too fast to properly enjoy
  • its a heavy beast and handling isnt as sharp
  • will have to stretch my original budget as i dont want an early high miler
  • will it depreciate faster once the c7 starts to come down in price
Something like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510057516314

b8.5 S4
Again, the positives are clear but the concerns are:
  • not going to look or feel as special as RS6
  • probably going to depreciate further than RS6 would
  • is it going to take a hit in value once b9 comes out
  • A 700bhp rs6 would destroy a 480bhp s4 im guessing?
  • its maybe a little small inside for family car
Something like this looks ideal: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201509257233843

Just to confuse the issue, i'm also having thoughts on GTR's and 997 Turbos that look pretty much deprecation proof albeit require some more cash up front and the dog / future family will have to squeeze in somehow!

Appreciate that this is somewhat of a first world problem but any thoughts would be appreciated!

cheers,
Nick

I've moved from a 730hp C6 RS6 to a 450hp B8 RS4. RS6 was incredible in a straight line/dual carrageways and mroe than up to the job. Licence losing ability constantly (and I mean constantly - 150mph+ before coming off motorway sliproads if you don't pay attention). Large car - handling is poor although for it's size, not terrible. I swapped because the handling wasn't there for me and I like an all round car that I can take on track when I want, or shuttle my mum about in if needed, or take stuff to the dump. Both cars fit this bill nicely.

The RS4 is faster everywhere except motorways and dual carrageways. And better on fuel.

The RS6 will do 2.9 0-60 and 200+ mph with an engine and gearbox map. What else will do that for <£30k? But you bore of it quite soon as you're detached from the experience.

Both feel very special, although the C6 is looking dated now IMO. RS4 turns more heads.

XSP_0658_zpsqmfu5wkk.jpg

8C6F3115-F117-47B2-AB21-F5E8FA1B3A0A_zpswtalrjqs.jpg

Have you considered a tuned Sportback S3? With the right mods it can do over 400bhp and still be a nice drivable car and still be well within your budget.

All down to personal preferences I guess , but the RS6 is just special , S4 is nice , but imo in a different ballpark . Probably an S4 will be my next car , but if I could afford to run an RS6 I would not hesitate ...