40TDI in for repair - got a 50TDI on loan

Paul Duckworth

Reaction score
Some nice person hit my car in a car park just over a week ago, enough damage to make me invent some new swear words. They left a note which was one thing, I suppose.

I went through Audi Ensurance and mine is going in for repair today. Hire company dropped off a 50TDI saloon as a loaner.

The power difference is huge (which I suppose was to be expected) but interestingly it can be driven in a way so as not to cost me a fortune in diesel - if I want to, of course :friendly wink:

The other difference I've noticed is that the MHEV features kick in much more than on my 40.

Some nice person hit my car in a car park just over a week ago, enough damage to make me invent some new swear words. They left a note which was one thing, I suppose.

I went through Audi Ensurance and mine is going in for repair today. Hire company dropped off a 50TDI saloon as a loaner.

The power difference is huge (which I suppose was to be expected) but interestingly it can be driven in a way so as not to cost me a fortune in diesel - if I want to, of course :friendly wink:

The other difference I've noticed is that the MHEV features kick in much more than on my 40.

Do you find it quite a rough, coarse engine? I was expecting it to be a lot smoother than the 40tdi but to me the 50 still felt like a 4 cylinder. Fast though! A 40tdi with a tuning box makes a notable difference though

Yep - definitely not as smooth. Also the gearbox is annoying but in different ways to the s-tronic!

Yep - definitely not as smooth. Also the gearbox is annoying but in different ways to the s-tronic!
I actually find the 40tdi the smoother engine! Sorry to hear about the accident. Our A6 has had a replacement lower screen and a replacement headliner already.

I actually find the 40tdi the smoother engine! Sorry to hear about the accident. Our A6 has had a replacement lower screen and a replacement headliner already.
Wow, you've been unlucky.

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Wow, you've been unlucky.
Lower screen would squeak and creak when pressed on the passenger side. Headliner was loose at the rear so would make noise over a rough road. Turns out 3 of the plastic hooks that hold the liner up were broken.

Got my 40 back today after nearly 3 weeks with the 50... I have to say that I really miss the extra power but am glad to get the very much smoother 40 engine and gearbox back :semi twins:

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Interesting as that’s exactly how I felt after a week with a 50tdi. Aside from being significantly cheaper I found the 40tdi has sweeter steering, quieter and smoother along with a far more responsive gearbox. How they made a V6 diesel so coarse and made the gearbox so dim witted is beyond me.

Reactions: NevMan
Got my 40 back today after nearly 3 weeks with the 50... I have to say that I really miss the extra power but am glad to get the very much smoother 40 engine and gearbox back :semi twins:
Interesting as that’s exactly how I felt after a week with a 50tdi. Aside from being significantly cheaper I found the 40tdi has sweeter steering, quieter and smoother along with a far more responsive gearbox. How they made a V6 diesel so coarse and made the gearbox so dim witted is beyond me.

I had a 190tdi a5 loaner 2 weeks back.

It was noticeably lighter than my 3litre 272 a4 but I would say refinement was more or the less the same.

In terms of smoothness I wouldn't say it's as smooth as my 272, there is a big difference in driving feel between the 2.

Having 6 instead of 4 cylinders makes the drive more effortless and instead of drive a long the v6 has a waft feel to it.

Strange that the 3litre in the a6 and a7 is apparently rough when it's basically the same engine as in my a4 but just a different tune.

Would have expected it to be smoother!

They focused on emissions to much in early drivetrain/torque converter software versions which hampered seriously its driving appeal but it was addressed and sorted in mid 2020. So anyone that has a 50tdi should avail free 23CK update. The 50tdi is a beast and no matter what remap you will try to do in your 40tdi you want beat it. It’s a whole different story from the Quattro perspective should you wish to look at four wheel drive systems. 45tdi , 50tdi have a proper full time 60rear / 40 front Quattro not some substitutes called Ultra which are more like front wheel drive. Talking about remaps if you take 50tdi here you can easily and safely get out 350bhp and 700NM of torque!!! This is were serious fun begins.

Enjoy your cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi pp2414,

Can you give me some more info on the 23CK update please

Thanks

Hi pp2414,

Can you give me some more info on the 23CK update please

Thanks

If you call your local Audi service centre with your VIN number or even registration number they will be able to check for all outstanding campaigns and software updates this should include 23CK (only for 45tdi and 50tdi engines) addressing drive control software.
You should expect few other updates at this point eg. mmi software update and the one correcting random misbehavior of memory seat and its comfort entry alignment.
Make sure you are heard and understood. If for whatever reason your service guys are telling you that there is nothing outstanding against your car ask for written/email confirmation.

These are the campaigns my car had so far:
23CK
90L2
91X4
97EP

Good luck

@pp2414
Do you know what the update code is for the memory seats fix? I have a 40 TDI Quattro A6 C8 with memory seats and due to using a seat cushion, have the seat positioned at the lowest position possible and saved this in memory setting # 1. Unfortunately after getting in the car everytime, i always have to press button 1, in order to get the seat in my preferred position, ie the car doesn't remember my last seat position. So I'm hoping the memory seats software update fixes this issue!
Thanks

@pp2414
Do you know what the update code is for the memory seats fix? I have a 40 TDI Quattro A6 C8 with memory seats and due to using a seat cushion, have the seat positioned at the lowest position possible and saved this in memory setting # 1. Unfortunately after getting in the car everytime, i always have to press button 1, in order to get the seat in my preferred position, ie the car doesn't remember my last seat position. So I'm hoping the memory seats software update fixes this issue!
Thanks

They fixed this for me just before Christmas as the memory seat was driving me crazy and I complained to the dealer.
They used the code 97EP but I was told that the seat was fixed by new memory seat software update. I am still not 100% sure if 97EP and memory seat fix are the same thing. Anyway that what was entered in myAudi service tab.
I think you should start with a phone call to your local Audi service with a Vin number.
As most of the Audi A6 C8 models are still under warranty make sure you put some pressure when enquiring. I wasn’t told over the phone about a possible fix until I left the car with them for half a day investigation. They fixed the seats and I think did some safety check under some other campaign which could actually be called 97EP.

Good luck!

@pp2414
Thanks

They fixed this for me just before Christmas as the memory seat was driving me crazy and I complained to the dealer.
They used the code 97EP but I was told that the seat was fixed by new memory seat software update. I am still not 100% sure if 97EP and memory seat fix are the same thing. Anyway that what was entered in myAudi service tab.
I think you should start with a phone call to your local Audi service with a Vin number.
As most of the Audi A6 C8 models are still under warranty make sure you put some pressure when enquiring. I wasn’t told over the phone about a possible fix until I left the car with them for half a day investigation. They fixed the seats and I think did some safety check under some other campaign which could actually be called 97EP.

Good luck!

If you call your local Audi service centre with your VIN number or even registration number they will be able to check for all outstanding campaigns and software updates this should include 23CK (only for 45tdi and 50tdi engines) addressing drive control software.
You should expect few other updates at this point eg. mmi software update and the one correcting random misbehavior of memory seat and its comfort entry alignment.
Make sure you are heard and understood. If for whatever reason your service guys are telling you that there is nothing outstanding against your car ask for written/email confirmation.

23CK
90L2
91X4
97EP

Good luck

23CK
90L2
91X4
97EP

Good luck

23CK
90L2
91X4
97EP

Good luck

Thanks,
I called two Audi dealers and they both said the only campaign outstanding is the drivers seat wiring harness check, I’ve had the MMI one, don’t believe I’ve had the memory seat one, I’ve also had the TPI update that ended in /11, that was for the ECU to do we sluggish pull away, however, I understand the 23CK is a gear box update, I also rang Audi Uk and they are well aware of the 23CK campaign and advised that these are being actioned via vin batch numbers, maybe they’ve not got to my vin number yet but I find that unlikely as my c8 avant is on a 68 plate!

Not sure what else I can do!?

Thanks,
I called two Audi dealers and they both said the only campaign outstanding is the drivers seat wiring harness check, I’ve had the MMI one, don’t believe I’ve had the memory seat one, I’ve also had the TPI update that ended in /11, that was for the ECU to do we sluggish pull away, however, I understand the 23CK is a gear box update, I also rang Audi Uk and they are well aware of the 23CK campaign and advised that these are being actioned via vin batch numbers, maybe they’ve not got to my vin number yet but I find that unlikely as my c8 avant is on a 68 plate!

Not sure what else I can do!?

Just to be clear 23CK is not a gearbox update. It affects gear changes but it’s to do with electronics and ECU so this could actually be the same thing.